Gibson Brands Forums

Pickups and signal

Pinch

When the PU selector is on one pickup only, is the signal still routed through the other (silent) pickup before it goes to the output jack?

As you can hear, I know so little about this sort of thing it's a wonder they let me own a toaster.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

No, that is the function of the selector. It implements a route for the electric signal. (so we have 3 different routes. When the neck PU is selected, the bridge PU is offline and its generated signal is bypassed)

Advice: don't ever leave a finger in  that toaster. 😁

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

No, that is the function of the selector. It implements a route for the electric signal. (so we have 3 different routes. When the neck PU is selected, the bridge PU is offline and its generated signal is bypassed)

Advice: don't ever leave a finger in  that toaster. 😁

I thought so. Thanks.

My toaster is currently on the fritz, after I washed it in the aquarium, but thanks anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep. The switch either blocks the path for the signal coming from the pickups, or it lets the signal go through to the rest of the circuit (volume and tone and jack, and then to the amp). 

If you would have pressure washed your toaster it would have been fine. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2024 at 8:00 PM, Pinch said:

When the PU selector is on one pickup only, is the signal still routed through the other (silent) pickup before it goes to the output jack?

As you can hear, I know so little about this sort of thing it's a wonder they let me own a toaster.

So you have a Ric ! Nice