Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 Figured vs. Gloss

Gunnell

I picked up a used ES-339 in Blueberry Burst from a local mom-and-pop shop yesterday. The inspection card has a 2022 date and lists the model as ES39F00B9NH1. The sticker inside the body has "Gloss" written in as the Style. When browsing through Reverb and other sites where people post pictures of their models, I'm seeing "Figured" written on the sticker rather than "Gloss".  Is there a difference? Did the factory worker get confused and write the wrong thing? Any insight would be appreciated.

8 minutes ago, Gunnell said:

I picked up a used ES-339 in Blueberry Burst from a local mom-and-pop shop yesterday. The inspection card has a 2022 date and lists the model as ES39F00B9NH1. The sticker inside the body has "Gloss" written in as the Style. When browsing through Reverb and other sites where people post pictures of their models, I'm seeing "Figured" written on the sticker rather than "Gloss".  Is there a difference? Did the factory worker get confused and write the wrong thing? Any insight would be appreciated.

Figured is how the wood looks. Gloss is the shine on the finish, and not a model type. Its a ES-339.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Figured is how the wood looks. Gloss is the shine on the finish, and not a model type. Its a ES-339.

Correct. My question is about why mine says "gloss" in the "style" field while all others I can find show "figured".

42 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

339's come in both plain and figured tops, as far as the grain goes.  Figured being the same as flamed.  Maybe plain and gloss are the same thing.

body: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tyAkLX8DzEivxyjhP8nLsjK3qbqbc546&usp=drive_fs

sticker: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ty0bT-bX9CbrLnc3KOyowocwNpv1YxhE&usp=drive_fs

1 hour ago, Gunnell said:

Update: Gibson support got back to me and said "It's possible that there was a mix-up with the sticker during the guitar's assembly process." So @Karloff's "after lunch" theory seems to be the winner!

Blimey....🎸

1 hour ago, Gunnell said:

Update: Gibson support got back to me and said "It's possible that there was a mix-up with the sticker during the guitar's assembly process." So @Karloff's "after lunch" theory seems to be the winner!

lol, thats funny ...