Gibson Brands Forums

J185 has arrived-not what I expected - PIX added

Geoffrey Lawton

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for all the comments' date=' folks.

Keith - it seems I did get what I ordered. MF had the guitar I ordered as a Modern Classic

on its site and that's the model I got. However - they had it posted with pix of the J185

model with the crosses. So I'm at fault here. I think I got a good price - $1649.00 shipped.

Any I do really like the sound of this one - it's really a big, deep Gibson sound. But I

do have to weigh those damn crosses in my final decision. I've a feeling I may send it

back because I, too, think a J185 should have the crosses. But if it sounds really good - which

it does - why should those little crosses make such a difference?

We'll see.[/quote']

I didn't see a J-185 on their site for that price point and the only thing that was close is a J-185 Rosewood for a bit more. But isn't the one with the Maltese crosses the True Vintage J-185 which is more than a grand more than the lowest priced one? Don't get me wrong, I like the crosses as much as the next guy, but that's a big difference for something that is not going to affect the sound and if you need a pickup anyway...

I don't know, I would be torn.

Hopefully you won't buy one with crosses off ebay only to discover it doesn't sound as good as the original one you got for such a great price! devil.gif Boy would you be cross then.

This was the original mixed-up description and pix: original ad on musicians friend

By the way for those railing about what poor business MF is, this was clearly a data entry mistake and they will undoubtedly take it back no questions asked and no charge for shipping back. One time I bought a music stand from them which had a defect and they told me to just keep it and shipped me another one. They are actually a very good online store.

I have no qualms with MF at all.

They have a more-than-generous return policy and

I've taken advantage of it numerous times.

I think that it's a good operation for the most part.

Yes - I, too, hope the ebay J 185 is a good one.

But I've 'talked' with the owner and I think I may

get what I'm after. If not, it seems I have a good

option here.

Geoff

PS - one of our members mentioned that it only cost

'300.00 more' to get the model with the crosses - and that

would be the J 185 TV. I've never seen a price like that

anywhere but would sure like to find one.

I have no qualms with MF at all.

PS - one of our members mentioned that it only cost

'300.00 more' to get the model with the crosses - and that

would be the J 185 TV. I've never seen a price like that

anywhere but would sure like to find one.

That was me, but that was before you wrote about what a good deal you got. I was basing my comment on the basis of MF currently advertising the J185 as $2445, and the TV as $2769. I assumed you paid $2445 to begin with.

Even though it's not exactly what you want, you got a real sweet deal. Deal or no deal, do what makes you happy.

If you decide you can live without the crosses, I heartily endorse the idea of calling MF and asking them to even further reduce the price. Based on the link you supplied, they clearly (though accidentally) represented the one you bought as having Maltese crosses both in the copy and the picture. I bet you they will take care of you. Ask to speak to a supervisor. If you don't get results on the phone, write a polite email to make your case (use their contact page). I have always found MF to be more than fair, and I think you will, too. They don't want returns, and they don't want to disapoint customers.

If you want the crosses, you have several good leads on a used guitar in your price range. The one the forum member here posted pics of looks beautiful. I'd say that whatever happens, things should come out pretty well for you.

Red 333

Red 333' date='

Thanks for the good words.

As I mentioned - I have no qualms with MF and

am quite sure they would reduce the price to

compensate for its inaccuracies in advertising the J.

Geoff[/quote']

This is the least expensive J-185 I see on MF right now:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=520202

It has Maltese crosses too, but I wonder if this is the right guitar for that price? I wouldn't mind a Rosewood J-185...

that Rosewood J-185 is a beauty.

And the price is great. It is even greater this weekend if you do the musiciansfriend.com gift cerificate deal. 20% off the price of a gift certificate of any value with code GF20. So buy a gift certificate in the amount of $1968 (the cost of the guitar) and it will only cost you $1575. Now THAT would be a deal for a new J-185.

link to Gift Certificate promotion

Well, my J-185 modern classic arrived just now. Yeah, I got what must have been the last one of the same deal Geoff ordered from Musicians Friend. 47% off list and free shipping was awfully tempting so I pulled the trigger. Here is a pic, not too good. I have left the plastic on the pickguard in case I decide to return it. If the light gets better I will try again later.

DSCN1652.JPG

Right out of the box first impressions. It does not sound as good as my maple CJ-165. However they always sound bad first tuned up right out of the box as the instrument adjusts to the local humidity, etc, so can't really judge yet. Seems quite a bit heavier than the 165 and surprisingly not that much bigger. No crosses, thank goodness. The Grover tuners are the big rotomatics, as compared to the minis on the 165. They seem to work better than the minis. The maple is not very flamey. Overall I would say that it is not bad looking but not that impressive either. I don't actually care that much about the looks. There is a small, very faint smudge-like thing in the finish on side of the guitar, but I am unmoved by that too. If I keep it, it will soon have all sorts of dings and scratches. I'm having fun and expect the sound to improve after a few hours here. First song: Georgie Girl, which was a movie theme in the 60's.

Archived