Gibson Brands Forums

Kalamazoo And Gibson

If you're referring to the "Spanish Serenade" photo, it's legit. We have a copy of that in the Gibson Archives. Coincidently, I just saw/used that exact photo yesterday for an in-house project I'm working on. 

Great article - lots of stuff I didn't know.  Which there had at least been a top of the hat to Henry J.  He also 'saved' Gibson.   But, yes, he got caught up in the 'diversify' fad and went into home electronics instead of focusing on musical instruments.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Great article - lots of stuff I didn't know.  Which there had at least been a top of the hat to Henry J.  He also 'saved' Gibson.   But, yes, he got caught up in the 'diversify' fad and went into home electronics instead of focusing on musical instruments.  

Yep if Henry would’ve put more effort into guitar making, and less into being a lifestyle brand, and having speakers and barstools and other stupid stuff to buy, and buying up four or five other companies , he might still be there.

Of course, there isn’t a guitar maker that doesn’t sell t-shirts or a ball caps, but Henry went way too far.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 4/5/2024 at 5:20 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Probably nothing that anybody here doesn’t know, but it was on the net. One thing for certain Orville was a snappy dresser. I hope none of this is an April Fools Joke.

https://www.restless-viking.com/2024/02/13/gibson-guitars-kalamazoo/

What I like is Orville's sober expression in that get up. He could have given Buster Keaton a run for his money. 

When I was  working in Kalamazoo, I went to "The Museum Of Sound" there..... a lot of Gibson history there, along with Heritage Guitars, (built by Gibson luthiers after Gibson closed down the factory there).

I recall I was working in a bus shop in the night..... a bus was brought in early because someone shot a window out while it was on it's route..... made me realize I shouldn't go out at night there!

Posted (edited)

I just noticed in the article that they mentioned that Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley both played Gibson guitars, yet they posted a picture of Jimi with a Strat - fail. They couldn’t find a picture of Jimi with a Gibson? It takes about 3 clicks of a mouse and you can find one.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just noticed in the article that they mentioned that Jimi Hendrix and Elvis Presley both played Gibson guitars, yet they posted a picture of Jimi with a Strat - fail. They couldn’t find a picture of Jimi with a Gibson? It takes about 3 clicks of a mouse and you can find one.

I noticed the same thing....Let's face it....Jimi is most closely associated with a Strat..... Clapton has had a multitude of guitars over the years.

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I noticed the same thing....Let's face it....Jimi is most closely associated with a Strat..... Clapton has had a multitude of guitars over the years.

I read somewhere Jimi had problems with that Flying V Guitar.. They aren’t the easiest Guitar to hold standing or sitting.. Whereas a Strat is a very comfortable Guitar sitting or standing..

Both have long been associated mostly with Fender Strats… Clapton with Martin Acoustics..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I read somewhere Jimi had problems with that Flying V Guitar.. They aren’t the easiest Guitar to hold standing or sitting.. Whereas a Strat is a very comfortable Guitar sitting or standing..

Both have long been associated mostly with Fender Strats… Clapton with Martin Acoustics..

I only played a V once and it slides down your leg when seated. I’ve seen lots of pics of Michael Schenker and he shoves the bottom part of the V between his legs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I only played a V once and it slides down your leg when seated. I’ve seen lots of pics of Michael Schenker and he shoves the bottom part of the V between his legs.

I had some "V" guitars here for awhile, (I had to sell my cousin's 44 guitars).... he had a couple of "V's".    Since I play mostly sitting down.... they aren't the right guitar for me.

Edited by DanvillRob