Gibson Brands Forums

How does one add an avatar image to their profile?

Go to top right where the circle J and your name are.

Left click on your name or the arrow next to it and you should get drop-down menu; Profile, My attachments, Settings, sign out etc.

Avatars have to be under a certain size (it tells you).......you may have already found out that to upload any other photos here, you need a (free) image-hosting account.

Upload photos to there and copy/paste the Direct Link it shows you straight into your post on this forum.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Shiflet said:

I've noticed some members have colorful avatars attached to their names. I'm sure this topic has been brought up before but I've not found it yet.  Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you are familiar with how to reduce the quality (file size) of the image you would like to use, you will need to do so before you upload it to IMGUR. Be sure to reduce the file size to below the megabyte limit for upload here. (can't remember what that is, but I think it's around 150MB)  I also recommend using your picture editing software to brighten up/enhance the colors of your image before you reduce the file size, so it will still appear vivid after said reduction.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

If you are familiar with how to reduce the quality (file size) of the image you would like to use, you will need to do so before you upload it to IMGUR. Be sure to reduce the file size to below the megabyte limit for upload here. (can't remember what that is, but I think it's around 150MB)  I also recommend using your picture editing software to brighten up/enhance the colors of your image before you reduce the file size, so it will still appear vivid after said reduction.

Sheepdog 1969, you made it sound so easy-and it was! Do you give out guitar lessons? Seriously, I already had an avatar from my Facebook forays shrunk down to 16KB. I had it on Facebook hoping to strike up chats with eligible women but the only ones who inquired were Russian hackers posing as cuties so I went back to my old house avatar and kept my face out of it. The image actually came from a much larger photo of me and Debra (my late spouse) taken on the San Francisco Beach near GG Park in 2007. I lived and worked in Sonoma County in 2006, 2007. I loved the scenery but the cost of living there is extreme, especially for shelter.  $850 a month got me a two bedroom log cabin amongst the Redwoods where I could sit out on the porch and play as loudly as I wanted because the nearest neighbor was almost a mile away. Sorry to get so wordy but hey, thanks, I owe you one.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 8:00 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I was born in a log cabin  I helped my father build.   As you can see from my avatar,  I've got nothing else to contribute here.  Had a nice avatar, but it disappeared during some system update. 

So, because I'm a giver and all, I made you your own custom avatar. 

I call it, "fortyearspickn". 

jp0AqoO.png

You're welcome. 

😗

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 9:00 AM, fortyearspickn said:

I was born in a log cabin  I helped my father build.   As you can see from my avatar,  I've got nothing else to contribute here.  Had a nice avatar, but it disappeared during some system update. 

Steve Martin’s character in the Jerk was born a poor black child. It killed me when he found his special purpose.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2024 at 9:00 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Hmmm....somethin' about that log cabin story doesn't quite add up, Forty Years, but I'm no mathematician and not even a particularly gifted guitar player, but I put my heart and soul into it.  Ya'll folks down thar in Texas are gonna get baked like adobe bricks in a few days- and, a month later, it's Welcome to Texas time and it's gonna get even hotter. By August, it becomes a matter of survival- Texans don't even listen to the weather people anymore or glance at thermometers in August-by then, they've become like climate refugees always seeking a cool shelter from the relentless Texas summer heat.  I should know, I spent 31 years with my home in downtown Fort Worth, a few blocks from the County Courthouse and now the old home-place is swarming with new apartments by the hundreds. My son and his family and my daughter with her family are all still down in Texas and I suppose the old song about not gettin' to Heaven but finding Texas is just as good, still inspires a lot of folks around there. I keep preachin' to those who would listen back home that the reason I ended up in eastern Ohio is because I couldn't take the infernal Texas summers any longer-a couple of summers before our move, I came dangerously close to having a heat stroke, during one brutally hot summer. I had gulped down a couple of cups of coffee early that morning and went outside before sunrise to get started on yard work. Fast forward, and it's noon, almost 100 F., and I had stopped sweating because I wanted to quickly finish up and go back inside. When a wave of dizziness set in I dropped everything and went inside straight to an air conditioned bedroom with some ice water and sat two feet away from the air conditioner's blower with it set on Max Cool. I eventually hydrated and recovered but that was a close one. Here's in the eastern Midwest (Pittsburgh is an hour away) summers can still get hot but are more tolerable than further south.  Oh, about those dreaded horrible Eastern winters. Really? Pray tell...I've just wrapped up my fourth winter here and as they say in Appalachian Ohio, them winters 'round here ain't been no Hill for a Mountain Man.

Now, I need to shut up and see how a darn spiffied up Avatar photo is going to fix things up for you?  If you've been pickin' for forty years, surely there's a better than mugshot quality photo of you somewhere with you doin' your pickin', right?  Such an Avatar would tell the whole world who you are and what you stand for. Oh, and before I forget... Willie Nelson is doing his legendary July Fourth hootennany celebration (I know, you easily guessed it) this year in CAMDEN NEW JERSEY! Now what part of the country stands for Country & Western music better than Jersey?  Y'all down in Texas probably need to do a little thinkin' bout this getting your brains baked and steamed every summer. This  Ohio region has got something everyone in the world now wants: abundant fresh water and plenty of rains. Keep on Pickin' Forty Years, Pickn, and best wishes that life will get better for you soon.

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2024 at 8:39 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Steve Martin’s character in the Jerk was born a poor black child. It killed me when he found his special purpose.

Classic movie - great line was   "The new phone book is here!  The new phone book is here!''  He thought he'd reached fame and fortune because his name was in print.  I don't think they bother making phone books anymore.  Last one we received was only an inch thick and plastered with ads for lawyers. Even on the cover. 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:50 PM, sparquelito said:

So, because I'm a giver and all, I made you your own custom avatar. 

I call it, "fortyearspickn". 

Sparky,   Holy crap!   . It looks like I left a 'y' out of my signoname.  Wonder if that will be easier to fix than setting up an avatar?   BTW, I don't pick my own ears. I have people that do that for me.  A professional.   "But I'm only a Proctologist."  I think I heard him say. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Classic movie - great line was   "The new phone book is here!  The new phone book is here!''  He thought he'd reached fame and fortune because his name was in print.  I don't think they bother making phone books anymore.  Last one we received was only an inch thick and plastered with ads for lawyers. Even on the cover. 

It was so funny when he left home and on the first day he made it as far as the end of the fence.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper