Gibson Brands Forums

My Hero

I was never into Saturday Night Live...... All my pals in high school would watch it, but the times I did watch it, there was this thing made of clay called Mr. Bill and I just thought that was just completely stupid.

The shows I watched with my pops were the Smothers Brother's, Flip Wilson and All In the Family..... I wasn't allowed to stay up late and watch Johnny Carson, but when I was able to watch Johnny, that was and is still my favorite late night TV

Yeah, not funny anymore.  Although it does have it's moments.

It's become a reflection of the woke world, a dark shadow that has crept across our land.

I did recently watch a Youtube collage of the late Norm MacDonald's Nightly News skits especially during the OJ Simpson trial.  Now that stuff was brutal social commentary on the trial and Simpson.

11 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

It's become a reflection of the woke world, a dark shadow that has crept across our land.

Honestly it's both the far-left and far-right that isn't doing this country any favors.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, duane v said:

Honestly it's both the far-left and far-right that isn't doing this country any favors.

Seems like that’s is all there is these days. Uber zealous that worship an orange hairpiece, or the others who are blow a gasket if they are called the wrong pronoun. 

I just learned that the state I live in, you can open carry your gun, and you do not need to go to any class or any training to get a concealed carry permit. I looked it up. It’s real, South Carolina is its own little weird country. Believe me I live here.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Idaho is the same way.

Although, before I do something like that, I'm wanting hours and hours of practice on the range.  That was actually something I enjoyed doing when I lived there. Jaxson50, he was a member here, he and I went.  I had a great time shooting a .357 Smith&Wesson and a Glock 20, 10 mm.

But I wouldn't carry openly without more practice and a feeling of utter confidence that I knew what I was doing.

On 4/23/2024 at 11:57 AM, Californiaman said:

Yeah, not funny anymore.  Although it does have it's moments.

The US certainly wasn't "woke" in 1941. 

Certainly not.

But there are forces at work now who would scrub our past of anything that violates their woke dogma.

Like the recent brewhaha about the famous photo of George Mendonsa and Greta Friedman.  You know the sailor kissing a girl on the streets of New York City.  Some VA administrator wanted to remove this from every VA in the USA.  Wanker's probably never had a real kiss in her life, let alone a romp in the backseat of her boyfriend's car.

This photo certainly didn't bother Greta Friedman and she's publicly stated so.  In fact, both Mendonsa and Friedman would show up at patriotic events and sign copies of the photo.

1pDtZlBl.png

• Upvote 1

A few years ago, I tried to find a hilarious SNL skit with Michael Jordan, George Wendt, and a few other white SNL cast members playing basketball on a  late '60's, post integration, high school basketball team. MJ was the only non-white team member (on either team), and the only player who could actually play the game. Sadly, for PC reasons, the skit has been scrubbed from history. (The skit openly exemplified the blatant racism that existed in many southern post integration public schools) The skit was so gut bustingly funny, that MJ and the SNL cast couldn't stop giggling as each offensive line was uttered. My favorite line was delivered by George Wendt, who was portraying one of the 4 white guys begrudgingly playing on court with MJ as their 5th team member. George has the ball, and is trapped in a double team at half court. MJ is obviously open, and he is begging George to pass the ball to him.  The rest of the team begins to beg George to pass MJ the ball. George refuses and says, "I ain't passing the ball to no darky."  MJ couldn't hide his laughter after George belted out the line, and the other skit members quickly fell apart as well. Apparently Michael Jordan helped write the skit and was all in with the bigoted language.  I would love to see that one again!

Another favorite, 

Knock, knock.

Who is it?

Um, candygram ma'am.

Is this the Landshark?

Um, no ma'am, um telegram....

Oh, well let me open the door for you....

(landshark eats her.)

On 4/23/2024 at 5:19 PM, Karloff said:

No coke, Pepsi...

That skit was based on a real place in Chicago who's original location in under Michigan avenue very close to the Chicago Tribune building. It's called "The Billy Goat Tavern",  at Lower 430 North, Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611. I've been to this location quite a few times. It was the dark and dingy hangout for Newspaper writers from the Trib, and the Chicago Sun Times, which used to be the next building west of the Trib on the Chicago River. Second City writers and comedians, (the original SNL and long time talent feeder to SNL), knew about it because many of them had worked in the newspaper business before writing for Second City. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Del Close there, (and more than a few nights hanging with him at Old Town Ale House on North Ave. The story behind the first time I met Del is hilarious.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Close  ).  Met Michael Royko Jr. at the "Billy Goat" for the first time as well.  Belushi, Ramus, Aykroyd and the Murray brothers were regulars at the Goat during there Second City days. The owners goat, and the Cub's refusal to allow the goat into Wrigley Field, resulted in the famous "Cub's curse".   Back in the '80's and early '90's, the Billy Goat was almost exactly how SNL portrayed it to be.

Chips, no fries, Pepsi, no Coke, Cheezboyger, cheezeboyger, cheezboyger.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

That skit was based on a real place in Chicago who's original location in under Michigan avenue very close to the Chicago Tribune building. It's called "The Billy Goat Tavern",  at Lower 430 North, Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611. I've been to this location quite a few times. It was the dark and dingy hangout for Newspaper writers from the Trib, and the Chicago Sun Times, which used to be the next building west of the Trib on the Chicago River. Second City writers and comedians, (the original SNL and long time talent feeder to SNL), knew about it because many of them had worked in the newspaper business before writing for Second City. I was fortunate enough to spend some time with Del Close there, (and more than a few nights hanging with him at Old Town Ale House on North Ave. The story behind the first time I met Del is hilarious.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del_Close  ).  Met Michael Royko Jr. at the "Billy Goat" for the first time as well.  Belushi, Ramus, Aykroyd and the Murray brothers were regulars at the Goat during there Second City days. The owners goat, and the Cub's refusal to allow the goat into Wrigley Field, resulted in the famous "Cub's curse".   Back in the '80's and early '90's, the Billy Goat was almost exactly how SNL portrayed it to be.

Chips, no fries, Pepsi, no Coke, Cheezboyger, cheezeboyger, cheezboyger.

I didn't know any of this. great history lesson. thanks. that skit has always cracked me up lol.

• Like 1