Gibson Brands Forums

My 60s Reissue J-45 and J-50

These are my Gibson purchases of late. The J-45 is from 2023 and the J-50 is from 2020. I figured I’d start a thread for them, and add to it over time. For example, I will try to add a demo of each, or a back to back comparison video.

My initial impression after having the 50 for mere days is that there is very little difference in tone compared with the red 45. They are both home run examples to my ears, and testament to the fact that Gibson is building very consistent guitars nowadays.

The wine red 45 has a Tusq bridge and Martin SP PB lights.

I don’t know what bridge the J-50 has. It looks creme colored and not white, and is different than the Tusq and Bone saddles I have.

The electric piano is not a Gibson but plays darned nice anyways. Excellent weighted keys.

The painting is my father’s work, which is all over my house.

7yAn87oh.jpg

G7eJzeTh.jpg

CFmTPVih.jpg

Helo again - saw the other thread go down with the sun and wondered. 

As mentioned there, a kool thing to have the 2  around - good dynamics = good fun. 

I'd be surprised if the creme isn't tusq as well - plast, , hmmm, , perhaps, , , then again no. . 

Could it be walrus or sabel tiger tooth. . . . . 

Every element in that first image is primo.  Congratulations on the new one!  And that work by your dad is really terrific.  Having great art hanging around is one thing, to have it by your dad is into the stratosphere.  Enjoy the sound fun. Looking forward to hearing more.

Love the look of the J-50, a classic Gibson appearance.

With "very little difference in tone",  blindfolded and handed one or the other could you tell them apart?

(....touching the pickguard is disallowed in this test!)

I have the same J-50 and the saddle is definitely tusq. It can change color very dramatically with exposure to the sun, so I suspect that's what you're seeing. I have another guitar with a tusq saddle that sat in a sunny room for over a year. It turned a shade of light brown, you would never imagine it was tusq now.

I also got a Yamaha digital piano this year that looks like yours (a P-125A) and it's fantastic. I had another Yamaha that looked similar back in 1993 and liked it a lot too. But these new ones are a big improvement, feels and sounds like a real piano. I studied classical piano for about 10 years but haven't played for a long time, so gradually getting back into it now (which leaves little if no time for guitar unfortunately).

Nice Js Sal

I have 2 yamaha Digital Pianos.  One is PF line, stage piano the other a contemporary console.

They are very hard to beat in terms of sound and feel.

Thanks to all of ye!

honestly blindfolded, now I can tell a difference but that’s because the J50 is sporting the older version Martin Lifespan strings. I love those. It came with them and I can always spot the tone.  If they both had the same strings I doubt I could distinguish.

my dad is ailing  92 years. A retired surgeon that took up painting  between  age 55 and 70ish. He has a touch…  thanks for commenting on that  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MorristownSal said:

If they both had the same strings I doubt I could distinguish.

That's of course the next thing to do - same steel same gauge same hour.

"Only by same-same-same can the difference be told".     

Congratulations on the new J50, Sal.  Those are just simply beautiful in my eyes.  

Speaking of beauty, I love the painting your father did, and love that you have it.  As you know I have a huge warm spot in my heart for his style of painting.  I’d enjoy seeing other examples, perhaps back channel?   

Roger

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I’ll throw them here. Worst someone can do is turn away. Thanks Roger. OM-28 Next!

Wow, your dad has an eye! We have artists we bought at galleries with very similar hands. Did he ever exhibit? It’s all very lovely work. Please pass on my admiration!  I’m so glad you posted them here for us to see. 

Edited by PrairieDog

3 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

I’ll throw them here. Worst someone can do is turn away. Thanks Roger. OM-28 Next!

CiGP806h.jpg

eq4WgZdh.jpg

llvxtO1h.jpg

gqNDHy7h.jpg

Sal, I love your Dad’s work here…really beautiful. Quite a touch, as you said.

The 45 and 50 look great…would love to know which ends up being the favoured one.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

Those are wonderful....there is NOTHING better than art created by someone close to you.

Edited by DanvillRob
Text in wrong place

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

..........flirting a bit with pointillism. 

This is one of several pieces I did back in the 80s............felt tip pen on poster board............pointillism?

18O9ndp.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MorristownSal said:

CiGP806h.jpg

eq4WgZdh.jpg

llvxtO1h.jpg

gqNDHy7h.jpg

Sal, I truly enjoy your father’s paintings.  Love his technique and style, colors, and most of all, his composition.  Please pass along my best regards and thank you for posting these.   These are treasures and I’m so glad you have them displayed in your home.

Roger

1 hour ago, Buc McMaster said:

This is one of several pieces I did back in the 80s............felt tip pen on poster board............pointillism?

18O9ndp.jpeg

Hellou ! , , , very good. Yes pointillism - a plus/minus 1900 branch under impressionism, , , probably primarily before. . 

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

How about an 'odd' oil painting?

Ouchhh, , , would prefer Dracula in an up-blown skirt. . 

48 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Hellou ! , , , very good. Yes pointillism - a plus/minus 1900 branch under impressionism, , , probably primarily before. . 

Ouchhh, , , would prefer Dracula in an up-blown skirt. . 

He was going to paint Elvis with needles sticking out of his arm....but I haven't see it, so not sure he still plans to do one.

He lives outside Reno, and I will be going up to visit him soon....I'll check out his "Stuff"!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brethren. Bless you all.

going to see him tomorrow and I’ll pass on these comments!

by the way some of you see Marilyn in a body bag… but I’m still thwarted in the brain. I see it and think “Almost boobies!”

and Buc… I stayed up last night and watched the Knicks. What a series.

Edited by MorristownSal
  • Like 2