Gibson Brands Forums

One question, is it possible that it escaped quality control

Marco.A

Good morning, I'm new to the forum, I just bought "unfortunately online (from Thomann) a Gibson Standard 60) After a month and a half I noticed, while changing the strings, that the fretboard was chipped with the wood missing, (I attach photos). I immediately complained but Thomann replied that the trial period was over and therefore I should keep it. The question is, is it possible that Gibson could sell a fretboard guitar in this condition? Thanks in advance     (Google translator)

y.jpg

x.jpg

Wow and you didn’t notice it?  Most people on here complain about a spec of dust under the nitro

The retailer will do what’s in their best interest.

think you need to contact Gibson Customer Service and work with them and see if the “honour” the ‘limited life time warranty’

A hard lesson to look closely at everything the minute you unbox, if it was there from the store.  I think you would have seen it when you opened it up.  It’s pretty obvious against the dark wood.  I don’t blame Thompson. It easily could have happened under your care.  Do you wear a ring while you are sliding your barre chords?  Did it get dropped? Something leaned against it/it leaned on something rough?  Do you have a cat who thought it had a new scratching post? How hard and often do you bend your strings? It just looks very much like what happens when a guitar gets played hard to me.  

Unfortunately I can't see much and the damage is under the string, I don't have a cat, I've just started learning the guitar, so I don't mishandle the strings, and I can swear it wasn't me.

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Una dura lezione per guardare da vicino tutto nel momento in cui lo apri la confezione, se era lì dal negozio. Penso che l'avresti visto quando l'avevi aperto. È abbastanza evidente contro il legno scuro. Non biasimo Thompson. Potrebbe facilmente essere successo sotto la tua cura. Indossi un anello mentre fai scorrere gli accordi alla sbarra? È caduto? Qualcosa vi si appoggiò/si appoggiò a qualcosa di ruvido? Hai un gatto che pensava di avere un nuovo tiragraffi? Con quanta forza e frequenza pieghi le corde? A me assomiglia molto a quello che succede quando si suona forte una chitarra.  

Purtroppo non vedo molto e il danno è sotto la corda, non ho un gatto e anelli, ho appena iniziato a studiare la chitarra, quindi non maneggio male le corde, e posso giurare che non sono stato io .

2 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Una dura lezione per guardare da vicino tutto nel momento in cui lo apri la confezione, se era lì dal negozio. Penso che l'avresti visto quando l'avevi aperto. È abbastanza evidente contro il legno scuro. Non biasimo Thompson. Potrebbe facilmente essere successo sotto la tua cura. Indossi un anello mentre fai scorrere gli accordi alla sbarra? È caduto? Qualcosa vi si appoggiò/si appoggiò a qualcosa di ruvido? Hai un gatto che pensava di avere un nuovo tiragraffi? Con quanta forza e frequenza pieghi le corde? A me assomiglia molto a quello che succede quando si suona forte una chitarra.  

5 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Wow e non te ne sei accorto? La maggior parte delle persone qui si lamenta di un po' di polvere sotto la nitro

Il rivenditore farà ciò che è nel suo interesse.

penso di dover contattare il servizio clienti Gibson e collaborare con loro per vedere se "onorano" la "garanzia a vita limitata"

Grazie, Purtroppo non vedo molto e il danno è sotto la corda, non ho un gatto, ho appena iniziato a studiare la chitarra, quindi non maneggio male le corde, e posso giurare che non sono stato io .

It's hard to believe that those gouges were missed by all the eyes that were on that guitar at some point, but I guess it's possible.

Better call Gibson customer service.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, kidblast said:

Geeze  Maybe one of the worse examples I think I've seen.  Someone was sleeping at work in QA that day.

Just that day? No others from past posts? This is when you know it’s all about getting it in the case, and shipped cause all it is, is a sale to Gibson. But that may be something someone had to save a long time to buy. It may be their first and only Gibson. They may never buy another one cause of it. Then if it’s overseas, which I think this is, the warranty is totally different. Cesar Gerkin Pickle needs to get out of his big leather chair, take off his scarf or ascot, and go down to the QA Dept., and chew some a-ss. He won’t cause he has to schmooze with Slash and Jimmy Page. It’s more important to stroke the ego of the guys who get signature guitars.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/8/2024 at 5:58 AM, PrairieDog said:

A hard lesson to look closely at everything the minute you unbox, if it was there from the store.  I think you would have seen it when you opened it up.  It’s pretty obvious against the dark wood.  I don’t blame Thompson. It easily could have happened under your care.  Do you wear a ring while you are sliding your barre chords?  Did it get dropped? Something leaned against it/it leaned on something rough?  Do you have a cat who thought it had a new scratching post? How hard and often do you bend your strings? It just looks very much like what happens when a guitar gets played hard to me.  

This post sucks. First assuming the customer is at fault for buying a defective product. Then saying it looks like play wear? 

you know that feeling when you dig in for a big solo and you get a finger full of wood chips? I don’t 

why are we trying to be mean to a random person and then offering such dumb advice? It makes us all look bad

18 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

This post sucks. First assuming the customer is at fault for buying a defective product. Then saying it looks like play wear? 

you know that feeling when you dig in for a big solo and you get a finger full of wood chips? I don’t 

why are we trying to be mean to a random person and then offering such dumb advice? It makes us all look bad

No tools who say the purchaser did it, or was wearing a ring when playing when it happened is a total joke. My favorite line is “I’d keep it it normal for Gibson and it’s how they are”.

Cause no musicians since the guitars were made ever wore a ring while playing, just the OP, huh?

Not sure about you, but when I buy a new guitar, I try to ruin it as soon as I can. 

20 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Not sure about you, but when I buy a new guitar, I try to ruin it as soon as I can. 

So you ARE into relic and worn guitars😀

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No tools who say the purchaser did it, or was wearing a ring when playing when it happened is a total joke. My favorite line is “I’d keep it it normal for Gibson and it’s how they are”.

Cause no musicians since the guitars were made ever wore a ring while playing, just the OP, huh?

Did either of you read my original/not translated post? I was not being “mean,” just practical.  Yes, it’s sad, but it IS a lesson. They had a return period and they didn’t check the thing over while they had a chance.  I said nothing about it being normal for Gibson. I only said I didn’t blame the STORE  for not taking it back outside of the return window.   And if it’s so obvious bad, I do find it hard to believe it came from the factory like that and no one from the QC-to the store-to the customer noticed the defect.  The buyer never looked at the fret board?  I know you all love to bash and mock the  host of this forum (and members you don’t care for), but all I did was offer some accidental ways it could have been damaged without them noticing.  I wasn’t “blaming” them or saying they did it on purpose.   I was just looking at a hard played 2022 guitar and you could follow the preferred playing techniques by the gouged wear patterns on the fret board and the frets. Real life.  Shrug.  I don’t get the point of the hostility from certain corners.  I guess deploying the hide button has been useful.  

Edited by PrairieDog

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Did either of you read my original/not translated post? I was not being “mean,” just practical.  Yes, it’s sad, but it IS a lesson. They had a return period and they didn’t check the thing over while they had a chance.  I said nothing about it being normal for Gibson. I only said I didn’t blame the STORE  for not taking it back outside of the return window.   And if it’s so obvious bad, I do find it hard to believe it came from the factory like that and no one from the QC-to the store-to the customer noticed the defect.  The buyer never looked at the fret board?  I know you all love to bash and mock the  host of this forum (and members you don’t care for), but all I did was offer some accidental ways it could have been damaged without them noticing.  I wasn’t “blaming” them or saying they did it on purpose.   I was just looking at a hard played 2022 guitar and you could follow the preferred playing techniques by the gouged wear patterns on the fret board and the frets. Real life.  Shrug.  I don’t get the point of the hostility from certain corners.  I guess deploying the hide button has been useful.  

I didn’t say you were mean. Yes what a nice $2500 plus lesson to learn due to Gibson’s incompetence, and shoddy QA. I love the Fanboy mentality. It’s why I stick around. The stuff  some Fanboys say sometimes is a total joke.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

So you ARE into relic and worn guitars😀

Yes when I do it is though playing and bumping into stuff in my room. I don’t sit around throwing hand fulls of pennies at my guitars if that is what you’re inferring. Never bought a pre abused guitar in my life, just used ones in excellent shape, and they still are. Of course a ding happens on occasion. But I don’t gouge peices of my fretboard out with a chisel.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

On 5/8/2024 at 2:42 AM, Marco.A said:

Good morning, I'm new to the forum, I just bought "unfortunately online (from Thomann) a Gibson Standard 60) After a month and a half I noticed, while changing the strings, that the fretboard was chipped with the wood missing, (I attach photos). I immediately complained but Thomann replied that the trial period was over and therefore I should keep it. The question is, is it possible that Gibson could sell a fretboard guitar in this condition? Thanks in advance     (Google translator)

y.jpg

x.jpg

I have purchased over 18 brand new Gibson over the last 10 years and have never received one like this. 

My advice is contact Gibson directly about the situation and see what they say.