Gibson Brands Forums

TS New Album Outsells The New Grateful Dead Record

Posted (edited)

This s-hit is funny. The Dead album is a full concert from ā€˜77 they never intended to release. Itā€™s the Deadā€™s Archivists, Daveā€™s Pickā€™s, an on going live concert series for well, Dead Heads, and is limited to 25k copies total. I have one. The Dead as a band ended the day Jerry died in ā€˜95. Taylor was 6 years old. How many albums did she sell that day? None. So the ā€œItā€ girl of right now outsold dinosaurs who are no longer together. The Dead have done more, seen more, smoked, and tripped more, and made 100 times more music than she has. Ā What drivel.
Ā 

https://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/taylor-swifts-ttpd-outsells-the-grateful-deads-new-album/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Maybe if the Grateful Dead had spent more time writing songs of regret, broken hearts, and boyfriends that had cheated on them.Ā 

Just sayin'......

šŸ˜—

lol, I know, right ? ...Ā  what were they thinking ...Ā 

Garcia should have worn shiny flashy form fitting outfits with thigh high boots ...Ā  umm, yea, a black tshirt & jeans worked better.

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Karloff said:

lol, I know, right ? ...Ā  what were they thinking ...Ā 

Garcia should have worn shiny flashy form fitting outfits with thigh high boots ...Ā  umm, yea, a black tshirt & jeans worked better.

Jerry probably sweated as much on stage as Taylor, and he barely had to move to do it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jvi said:

op has a TS obsession....

I do love to loath her. All I hear about her is she is so talented cause she writes her own lyrics. Um . . . So do lots of artist. Let me see if I can think of some. The Beatles, Zappa, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and the list could go on and on, need any more examples?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Maybe if the Grateful Dead had spent more time writing songs of regret, broken hearts, and boyfriends that had cheated on them.Ā 

Just sayin'......

šŸ˜—

Sparky you hit the nail on the head. That is it. They just didnā€™t have enough teenage angst in my pants songs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, duane v said:

I'm a Swifty!!!

Ā 

Sorry, get into therapy N O W. Can you explain what is it about her drivel you enjoy? Iā€™ve heard her so called music and donā€™t get it. Maybe years of Zappa tainted me. Itā€™s just to fluffy and weak to enjoy. I could care less if she writes lyrics. Itā€™s just Pop music. There are many like her. Itā€™s just her that people go ga ga over. There are other female singers out there doing the same thing, but itā€™s her that gets all the accolades.Ā 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

18 minutes ago, duane v said:

She's got a vibe.... she is unique...... and talented.....

And she plays Gibson acoustic and electric guitars.Ā 

And a multi billionairešŸ˜›

I couldnā€™t name a song by either miss swifty or the dead ā€˜uns so no idea, but thatā€™s the beauty of having musical options - thereā€™s something for every taste - imagine if we all liked the same thingā€¦I mean heck, it could be U2Ā [tongue]

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 'Scales said:

I couldnā€™t name a song by either miss swifty or the dead ā€˜uns so no idea, but thatā€™s the beauty of having musical options - thereā€™s something for every taste - imagine if we all liked the same thingā€¦I mean heck, it could be U2Ā [tongue]

I canā€™t name a Swift song either.Ā 

15 hours ago, duane v said:

She's got a vibe.... she is unique...... and talented.....

And she plays Gibson acoustic and electric guitars.Ā 

My wife listens to her and ā€˜Iā€™ donā€™t hear this vibe you speak of, no she is not unique - she is run of the mill Pop Music (lots out there just like her), her voice is vanilla and others sound just like her, she may be talented, and are you gonna like any artist just due to the guitars they play?

• Like 1

The closest I ever got to anything ā€œSwiftyā€ is listening to Frank Zappaā€™s song ā€œBig Swifty.ā€ Ā And I have absolutely no problem with that.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

The closest I ever got to anything ā€œSwiftyā€ is listening to Frank Zappaā€™s song ā€œBig Swifty.ā€ Ā And I have absolutely no problem with that.

Love that opening guitar riff. I still have my vinyl copy of Waka/Jawaka.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)

On a good nite GD were something special. The article explains it to a T. Iā€™ve seen shows that were not good. Especially when Jerry was spiking his vein.

That live movie I saw of a full show in theaters last summer was a poor show. It was at Soilder Feild. When I first stared seeing them they were playing Civic Center size places, then Touch Of Grey mania was in full swing. There was a time after Touch came out, Ā The Dead were the #1 touring band. Not sure if it was based off $ or tix?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/why_jerry_garcia_resented_grateful_deads_most_successful_era.html

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2024 at 5:06 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

On a good nite GD were something special. The article explains it to a T. Iā€™ve seen shows that were not good. Especially when Jerry was spiking his vein.

That live movie I saw of a full show in theaters last summer was a poor show. It was at Soilder Feild. When I first stared seeing them they were playing Civic Center size places, then Touch Of Grey mania was in full swing. There was a time after Touch came out, Ā The Dead were the #1 touring band. Not sure if it was based off $ or tix?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/why_jerry_garcia_resented_grateful_deads_most_successful_era.html

Garcia never "spiked". he smoked his H. not that that makes it any better. between that & 2 packs of Pall Mall filterless cigs a day it helped give him that delightful singing voice.Ā  yea, he / they hated their new found popularity. in an interview in the 80's he said "it's kinda ironic that we've come to symbolize the peace, love, flower power of the 60's cuz we never went in for any of that sh!t. we liked to ride motorcycles & shoot guns".Ā 

there were some good years in the 80's, maybe early 90's when he got clean but typically it was game over. they were a shell of what they were capable of in my opinion. and you know what they say about opinions ...

I liked the late 60's the best when Pig was still healthy and Garcia was playing an SG thru a cranked Fender Twin. there was energy to his playing.Ā 

Edited by Karloff

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

Garcia never "spiked". he smoked his H. not that that makes it any better. between that & 2 packs of Pall Mall filterless cigs a day it helped give him that delightful singing voice.Ā  yea, he / they hated their new found popularity. in an interview in the 80's he said "it's kinda ironic that we've come to symbolize the peace, love, flower power of the 60's cuz we never went in for any of that sh!t. we liked to ride motorcycles & shoot guns".Ā 

there were some good years in the 80's, maybe early 90's when he got clean but typically it was game over. they were a shell of what they were capable of in my opinion. and you know what they say about opinions ...

I liked the late 60's the best when Pig was still healthy and Garcia was playing an SG thru a cranked Fender Twin. there was energy to his playing.Ā 

I saw him right after a rehab. They were really good that night.