Gibson Brands Forums

Stuff That Makes Me Scratch My Head

On 5/20/2024 at 5:47 AM, merciful-evans said:

As in bison? I didn't know that was available. 

Yes. Theres a place not to far from us that sells them at a decent price. Before Covid hit a restaurant sold Buffalo burgers but has closed since. 

On 5/19/2024 at 12:41 PM, Larsongs said:

If you knew how poor we were when we grew up. We moved when the rent was due. I put cardboard in my shoes to cover the holes.. Thank God for Macaroni!

When I said that to my brother, it’s tongue in cheek.. I was really talking about us…. I don’t think you can forget what it’s like to be poor.. Even after you grow up & become successful.. But, it is kind of a reminder of what is possible….

As a toddler growing up, I was thrilled to play with cardboard and a towel. 

• Like 1

My kids ask, when seeing old photos of me as a kid with my brother and sister  "Were you poor?"   We weren't then, but by today's standards I guess we were.   One car, a 2/1 house, no vacation trips, etc.   But that was middle class in the 50s.   Houses, cars, vacations, weddings, proms - all  keep getting bigger.  People too, thanks to Fast Food. (Which, thankfully is now 40% more expensive and out of the reach of the Nouveau Poor. )

• Like 3

On 5/29/2024 at 9:27 AM, fortyearspickn said:

My kids ask, when seeing old photos of me as a kid with my brother and sister  "Were you poor?"   We weren't then, but by today's standards I guess we were.   One car, a 2/1 house, no vacation trips, etc.   But that was middle class in the 50s.   Houses, cars, vacations, weddings, proms - all  keep getting bigger.  People too, thanks to Fast Food. (Which, thankfully is now 40% more expensive and out of the reach of the Nouveau Poor. )

My mother used to tell us she had to walk to school barefoot in the snow uphill both ways. Lol

On 5/29/2024 at 10:27 AM, fortyearspickn said:

That's how it was for me too. Looking back I guess we were lower middle class. We never went on vacations,  we'd go to a fast food joint for burgers, fries n a shake 2 maybe 3 times a year. It was a special occasion for that. We knew not to ask for anything.  Kids just expect everything these days. It was a big deal to get a root beer when I was a kid.

• Like 1