Gibson Brands Forums

If you're a Dylan fan

EdgarHF

I should post this in the lounge, but that place is too scarry for me.

I got the new Bob Dylan album tonight called 'Together Through Life'. Its not as good as 'Blonde on Blonde' or even 'Love and Theft' but not as bad as 'Self-Portrait'. I'd call it a Tweener. It is not difficult to see what the original sources for the songs are. The lyrics are pretty straight forward.

Has anybody else given it a listen yet?

I've never been a fan of his, though I think that some of his songs are seminal and second to none. I guess that for me personally, the truly great numbers are far outnumbered by those I find kind of pedestrian so I've never felt the need to explore him in greater detail. His recent stuff I'm largely unaware of.

not yet but i plan to. you didn't say if you enjoyed it....

Being a Dylan fan I enjoyed it. I do not beleive it is a great album, but some of his albums have to grow on you. If I had to compare it to an older album I would say 'New Morning'.

i just got home to my fresh copy of the rolling stone magazine and there's a nice big article on dylan as the cover story.

They open the article with a great double-truck picture of him sitting alone in a large room with a J-45 and a harmonica rack. double-pickguard on the J45. Bob Dylan and J45s are two of my favorites, fortunately they get seen together every once in a while :-

I've never been a fan of his' date=' though I think that some of his songs are seminal and second to none. I guess that for me personally, the truly great numbers are far outnumbered by those I find kind of pedestrian so I've never felt the need to explore him in greater detail. His recent stuff I'm largely unaware of.[/quote']

"the truly great numbers are far outnumbered by those I find kind of pedestrian "

You have got to be kidding !!! Right? Pedestrian! Cmon man how old are you? suburude

You have got to be kidding !!! Right? Pedestrian! Cmon man how old are you? suburude

Old enough to have heard "blowin' in the wind," "like a rolling stone," "rainy day women...," etc., etc., etc., over and over again when they first came out and generally feeling bored after about the first minute or two, when the songs seemed to have run their course but felt like they might go on forever....

I know it's heretical to say so, but for me, the songs themselves are dwarfed by Dylan's reputation and legend. I think some of them are truly wonderful, but a great many if not most of them I just find uninteresting.

Old enough to have heard "blowin' in the wind' date='" "like a rolling stone," "rainy day women...," etc., etc., etc., over and over again when they first came out and generally feeling bored after about the first minute or two, when the songs seemed to have run their course but felt like they might go on forever....

I know it's heretical to say so, but for me, the songs themselves are dwarfed by Dylan's reputation and legend. I think some of them are truly wonderful, but a great many if not most of them I just find uninteresting.[/quote']

His prolific creativity dwarfs all but a few!! Period!

He is a great poet and lyricist' date=' but cerainly not a singer! That's kind of like saying Willie Nelson is a singer! Geeeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/quote']

I would agree is I wanted to create a narrow little pigeon hole and say there is where we stuff our definition of singing. I don't like pigeon holes though. When Willie sings about blues eyes crying in the rain I believe him.

I think I will take one those pigeon holes. I will write this on the piece of paper. When he or she sings do I believe what they are singing? If the answer is yes they're singers.

I'd have to say that Dylan - the artist - stands up

pretty well to his legend. He has written

hundreds of great songs, imho. He's a great lyricist and

melodist. And I would've agreed with some of you

about his voice sometimes grating voice. But - it's

really part of the experiencing him. His voice

complements his songs.

Geoff

The man's done more for music than most, and has written some wonderful songs both in the past and present. Anyone who hasn't been inspired to explore his work, should probably do so, before writing him off. Having said that, Together Through Life, in my eyes is weaker than Modern Times, but on a par with Time out of Mind. His music has matured nicely with his audience, more than can be said for many musicians.

Oh, and my folks saw him live last Monday (couldn't get tickets myself), and said it was still a pleasure.

I've also been a Dylan fan since the early 60's. I liked him right off and always have. Don't know why exactly. I've always known about his voice, didn't think about wether it was good or not, it was just "Dylan". That's the way he sounded and no one else did . You always knew it was Dylan. Probably gave me a false sense of security! Anyway, GO BOB!!!

The man's done more for music than most' date=' and has written some wonderful songs both in the past and present. Anyone who hasn't been inspired to explore his work, should probably do so, before writing him off. Having said that, Together Through Life, in my eyes is weaker than Modern Times, but on a par with Time out of Mind. His music has matured nicely with his audience, more than can be said for many musicians.

[/quote']

I have given 4 listens to album, now, and I tend to agree. I am still waiting for one of the songs to jump out and really grab me. 'Behind Here Lies Nothin' is an early candidate. B.B. King's 'Help the Poor' is what came to mind out of the box. It has that early '50s King pre-Lucille sound. I am going to give it a few listens.

I've never been a fan of his' date=' though I think that some of his songs are seminal and second to none. I guess that for me personally, the truly great numbers are far outnumbered by those I find kind of pedestrian so I've never felt the need to explore him in greater detail. His recent stuff I'm largely unaware of.[/quote']

This sums it up for me as well. The first "electric" albums were of their time, and really interesting. Before that he sounded to me like Woody redux, and after Nashville Skyline he just seemed played out. Blood on the Tracks is critically acclaimed, but not equal to Highway, Blonde, Bringing it Back Home. But to think he could keep up the creative pace is unrealistic.

Bob's creativity as endured and will inspire for years to come. You who dismiss his style must be chevy truck owners' date='any one knows that Ford trucks rule:d/ [/quote']

For the record, I'm not dismissing his style, his significance, or his remarkable body of work. It's just that not all of it appeals to me and some of it I simply find uninteresting.

Also: I've never owned or even driven a Chevy or a Ford, whether a truck or anything else. =P~

I'm young, but I like some of Dylan's music. I haven't listened to all of it, because even though I like some of it, most of it just seems way too beyond my time.

And for the record, Dodge is where it's at. (only older Dodges, though. All new American vehicles suck.)

I like some of his stuff, and as others have mentioned some of his songs have been pivotal, and his influence on other artist is undeniable. But he can also be polarizing. Remember how the folk music community turned on him when he went electric?

What is surprising to me is that whenever he teams up with other artist he seems to fade to the back ground in much of the work and plays a supporting roll. When he teamed up with Cash he seemed take his vocals down a step and slow his delivery, during his tenure with the Traveling Wilburys he mostly did back up vocals.

But the mumble stuff needs to go. I have some friends that are very dedicated Dylan fans to the extreme, they catch him several times each year, then they will argue about the degree of understandability of each concert. "Did he walk off the stage in the middle of a song?", "did he return sometime during the show or did the band finish without him again?", "could you tell one song from the other".

All kidding aside, he has never stood still, his creativity has not been market driven, he is what he is and he is one of the few artist that could pull that off.

Archived