Gibson Brands Forums

New (for me) electric guitar-but it isn't a Gibson

Posted (edited)

As I always do while visiting our Son and his family, who live in Port Elgin a small Ontario town on Lake Huron, I dropped in to a local shoppe that sells used  musical instruments and second-hand books, to browse.

Hanging in the window was a used Ibanez AF-105-NT-12-01 guitar, in pristine condition, and complete wth hard-shell case, instruction manual, truss-rod Allen keys, case-lock keys, and the original bridge, which had been replaced with a better intonation-adjustable one.

While I couldn't find an Ibanez-users site, I did find a bit of information that indicated that while this particular model was excellent value in it's price class, it wasn't the acoustical equal of it's more expensive cousins.

Last year, I built an inexpensive, hollow body, single cut-away kit electric guitar, and while I enjoyed the experience, the low-end pick-ups and tuners, as well as my poor soldering skills meant that even to my tin ear it's sound was,  not surprisingly, mediocre, so I thought the Ibanez might be a nice upgrade.

Additionally, after checking prices on ebay and Reverb, the $500.00 Canadian price seemed very reasonable.

I played it through an amp in the shoppe on the three days we visited, and yesterday, bought it.

I'm very happy with it, and feel it more than meets my pedestrian musical needs.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Thanks 1

Every guitar hanging in a shop yearns for a forever home.  You’ve done a kindness.  Sounds like it will be a nice add.  Our $350.00 Taylor did a fine job last night out on the deck playing along with our new Gibson addition.  It’s fun to have diversity 😄

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PrairieDog said:

Every guitar hanging in a shop yearns for a forever home.  You’ve done a kindness.  Sounds like it will be a nice add.  Our $350.00 Taylor did a fine job last night out on the deck playing along with our new Gibson addition.  It’s fun to have diversity 😄

PrairieDog,

I suppose in a way, taking home a guitar like this one is analagous to getting a pet from the rescue shelter, although in this particular case there were at least two other people who were interested in the guitar, so I'm glad I bought it when I had the chance.

I'm playing it here at home as I write this, and am very happy with it.

As for those Quantum Physicists who will claim that unless I post a picture of it, this purchase didn't take place, (Schrodinger's guitar), I respond that if I knew how to post a photo directly from my phone, I would have done so, but I don't.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

I suppose in a way, taking home a guitar like this one is analagous to getying a pet from the rescue shelter, although in this particular case there were at least two other people who were interested in the guitar, so I'm glad I bought it when I had the chance.

I'm playing it here at home as I write this, and am very happy with it.

As for those Quantum Physicists who will claim that unless I post a picture of it, this purchase didn't take place, (Schrodinger's guitar), I respond that if I knew how to post a photo directly from my phone, I would have done so, but I don't.

RBSinTo

Didn’t we get you posting pics from Imgur?  

46 minutes ago, PrairieDog said:

Didn’t we get you posting pics from Imgur?  

PrairieDog,

No.

As I recall, Sgt.Pepper once posted a photo on my behalf, that I emailed to him.

I have never used Imgur.

RBSinTo

9 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

No.

As I recall, Sgt.Pepper once posted a photo on my behalf, that I emailed to him.

I have never used Imgur.

RBSinTo

Ahhh, If you want to try it, imgur is pretty easy and free.  You can have your account/posts set to “private” so you aren’t in the public meme scrum.  Just make an account, choose create post, upload the photo from your device. it might a few seconds for it to finish uploading.  when it does, go to images under your profile, open the thumbnail of the one you want, it will open with a list of link types next to it.  Click  the copy button next to “direct link” that will grab the link and you can paste into a post here.  

7yGAeRx.jpg

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Seems like you did well at that price. 

Congrats!

40042-S000231626-1?auto=compress,format&

sparquelito,

Yes, that's the guitar, except that mine has a complete neck, very nice headstock, and gold (!!!!) tuners, none of which the one in your picture has.

Exactly the style (and finish) I wanted.

Thanks for the kind wishes.

I was playing it this morning through an amp and was very pleased with the sound.

$500.00 CDN/ $366 USD for the pristine guitar with all the accompanying stuff that came with it when it sold as new, was an excellent deal, so no regrets or buyer's remorse.

PrairieDog,

Thanks for taking the time to give me a lesson. I appreciate it.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of Ibanez jazz boxes. 

The two I loved best are living now with good friends. 
(One I gave to the brother of my drummer buddy who died a few years ago, and the other I passed on to a musician friend who coveted it more than I did.)

Me holding the blue beastieAF-75. 
That's Bob there when he was still alive.
His brother Mark in Oregon has it now.

GNMc5XH.jpg

Here below was the AF-71F. 
A lovely, interesting guitar. 
Nothing was mounted into the top of the guitar, save one small screw at the very tip of the pick-guard. 
Mini-humbucker was on a bracket mounted to the sides of the fingerboard. 
Violin bridge, floating tailpiece. 
The volume and tone knobs were mounted in the pick-guard, which was bracketed to the bottom curve. 

preview.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Nothing was mounted into the top of the guitar, save one small screw at the very tip of the pick-guard. 
The volume and tone knobs were mounted in the pick-guard, which was bracketed to the bottom curve. 

preview.jpg

I agree; and the Ibanez online  catalogue I spent a couple of hours looking at earlier this year, has a very good and varied selection of models. Well worth a look IMO.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sparquelito said:

The two I loved best are living now with good friends. 
(One I gave to the brother of my drummer buddy who died a few years ago, and the other I passed on to a musician friend who coveted it more than I did.)

Me holding the blue beastieAF-75. 
That's Bob there when he was still alive.
His brother Mark in Oregon has it now.

GNMc5XH.jpg

preview.jpg

sparquelito,

That is a lovely and tastefully simple-looking guitar, and if I understand your narrative correctly, very kind of you to give it to a friend.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Haha, that's the real one! 

There's only one question left:
What happened to his cat? 😁

2 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Haha, that's the real one! 

There's only one question left:
What happened to his cat? 😁

Well,

He's in the box. But until you take a peek you'll never know what state he's actually in.

And that state will only occur when you look.

However, it is a little known fact that Richard Feynman proved mathematically that even without looking, the probability that the cat is sleeping is 100%.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Well,

He's in the box. But until you take a peek you'll never know what state he's actually in.

However, it is a little known fact that Richard Feynman proved mathematically that even without looking, the probability that the cat is sleeping is 100%.

RBSinTo

Okay, a Feynman quote is totally worth the price of admission here! 😁

PrairieDog,

OK then, here's another one.

It was his conclusion at the close of the Challenger Shuttle disaster investigation:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

Which was his polite way of saying don't £uck with Mother Nature.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

PrairieDog,

OK then, here's another one.

It was his conclusion at the close of the Challenger Shuttle disaster investigation:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

Which was his polite way of saying don't £uck with Mother Nature.

RBSinTo

Physics rules! So, I’m assuming you read his books. I have his title “What do you  care what other people think?” running on a loop in my brain.  I also aspire to mastering Tuvan Throat singing.   

3 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

Physics rules! So, I’m assuming you read his books. I have his title “What do you  care what other people think?” running on a loop in my brain.  I also aspire to mastering Tuvan Throat singing.   

PrairieDog,

Yes, I've read that one, as well as "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman" and "The Character of Physical Law".

Plus a ton of books on Quantum Mechanics, Relativity, and Cosmology written for the layman.

I do have a copy of Einstein's book on Relativity, as well as a book by Kip Thorne and Hawking, but the math in each is beyond my undergrad level, so I learned to stick to those books that use non-mathematical analogies to explain the concepts.

I'm currently reading "On the Origin of Time" byThomas Hertog.

Have you read it?

Very interesting, but even for a layman's book, a tough slog.

RBSinTo

22 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Well,

RBSinTo

Quantum superposition is the very basis of Quantum Computing,
There are wonders to be done and immense equations to be solved, if Humanity wants to reach for the stars.👍

• Like 1

Nice score RB.[thumbup]

Great mate of mine used to gig a white Gretsch not dissimilar in his alt rock band (below) and it was a great visual piece - many respectful comments and “hey, aren’t you the guy plays the white Gretsch” from other musos.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Thanks Chief.

I didn't think you'd think so, because it was made in China.

RBSinTo

I wonder how many Chinese made parts are on guitars people own and they don’t even know it? And what would they do if they found out?

First of all I don’t think East Indian Rosewood is an American wood. Isn’t the place of origin in the name?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper