Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: PRS Custom 24 Vintage Natural

elessar820

After deciding to thin the heard, I've finally made a PRS part of my now, very small collection. It is easily one of the most beautiful guitars I've ever seen and plays just as nice. I haven't played it too much yet, so I'll have more of a review in a few days. PRS has a special promotion going on too, buy a PRS and send it back to them for your choice of pickups, including the 57/08's (which I may look into, Hell, they're free) and a factory set up. Unfortunately, some guitars made the ultimate sacrifice. RIP Silverburst Flying V, Surf Green Strat amd Ibanez SZ. I still have the Strat and Ibanez for sale if anyones interested. Anyway, here's some PRS content.

prs001.jpg

prs002.jpg

prs004.jpg

prs005.jpg

Congrats on the new axe, elessar, it's a beaut. Hope it's everything you need it to be. I don't know how I'd feel about buying a brand new guit and then sending it away, though. I don't think I'd want to trust the fates. Happy pickin'!

Congrats on the new axe' date=' elessar, it's a beaut. Hope it's everything you need it to be. I don't know how I'd feel about buying a brand new guit and then sending it away, though. I don't think I'd want to trust the fates. Happy pickin'![/quote']

Thanks, I'm still debating it, I think it sounds great as is so it's a tough call. I have to see how long I have to make a decision in doing the swap. It's definitely a cool promotion.

Thanks Neo, your's is pretty sweet too. I love quilt tops. I was going to get a CE22 off eBay, but I was at Guitar Center and it was on Clearance for $2000 from $2600. I told them that Sam Ash would give me 20% off a Mira and they said they couldn't go any lower since it was on clearance. I brought in my Flying V to trade in, I figured if I could get at least $500, I could possibly swing it if they would match the 20%, but no dice. spoke to the manager and the salesman and after awhile, they agreed to $1850 for the guitar and $500 for the trade in, then they said they'd give me $625. I figured what the well at that point. I paid $1230 plus tax out of pocket. I haven't been playing the V, so I figured it was expendable and I'm already selling some stuff on eBay and here I figured if I can knock the price down a bit, why not. I only paid $850 for the V, so I figured $625 isn't a bad return.

Nice guitars, guys.

I've dipped my toe into the PRS pool a couple times in the last month. They're not going to replace my Gibsons, but they certainly bring something different to the party.

BTW, in case you didn't know, I have a thing for P90s...

2004 McCarty

prs01.jpg

2001 Custom 22

cu22_01.jpg

I was at GC today to buy a cab, they tried to sell me a PRS SC. I wasn't in there to buy a guitar but that thing changed my opinion of PRSs forever, really top notch guitar.

As for the pups,

Go for the 57/08s the stock Custom 'buckers suck balls IMO

Killer axe regardless...

I was at GC today to buy a cab' date=' they tried to sell me a PRS SC. I wasn't in there to buy a guitar but that thing changed my opinion of PRSs forever, really top notch guitar.

As for the pups,

Go for the 57/08s the stock Custom 'buckers suck balls IMO

Killer axe regardless...[/quote']

It'd be kind of dumb not to take them up on the pickup offer. I like the stock Vintage/HFS setup, but I have become a fan of vintage style pickups after using my BFG. If I can get a set of 1957/2008's, installation and a factory setup for just the cost of shipping it to the factory, return shipping is free. Even if I don't like them, I can just put the stock ones back in. I also tried of the Mira and Starla. The Mira was really nice, very light and comfortable. Nice tone and feel. I liked the coil split too. I didn't think the Starla wasn't anything special. It felt a little awkward, I didn't even plug it in. I know everyone does a lot of Guitar Center bashing, but the one I usually go to has always been pretty good, the staff is pretty knowledgeable and have given me a good deal whether something free or a better price. I still prefer the local Mom and Pop stores, but a good deal can't be passed up.

After playing the guitar for two full days at home I can give a modest review.

Playability: It's phenomenal. The Wide-Thin neck is extremely comfortable, not super thin like an Ibanez Wizard or anything, but a little thinner than the neck on my Highway One Strat (plug: it's still for sale). Nice round shape. which for me is perfect, I hate flat necks. Very comfortable playing neck and the 25 inch scale length is perfect. The trem is smooth and so far stays in perfect tune, whether I push it down hard or give it a pull up. Nothing like any other non double locking trem I've used. It has always returned too pitch. Even with five springs, it's fairly loose and you don't have to really fight with it. The switching gives a nice variety of tones, but I'm still getting used to it. It's not too heavy, but definitely heavier than my Les Paul BFG.

Tone: It has a lot of variety with the rotary switch and the single coil tones are hum free, but I probably won't be using them too much. The full humbuckers sound great. The Vintage/HFS combo is pretty versatile. I can get really nice cleans with the Vintage and the HFS crushes when distorted, but it retains all of it's clarity, it's perfect. Harmonics are easy to get and the guitar has pretty nice sustain. The cleans ring like a bell and the it gets dirty with no mud.

I play through a Blackheart Handsome Devil Combo with a Boss Metal Zone, Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer and Original Crybaby. A modest setup, but it works for me. I mentioned earlier about PRS' pickup promotion and said trhat I wanted the 1957/2008 pickups. I called this morning and the aren't compatible for the rotary selector. I'd have to get a custom set wound for $65 with nickle covers or $75 for gold. I am going to put it off for now since I'm really enjoying the stock ones. Well, that's my extremely modest review, I hope someone liked it.

Archived