Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on Raw Power?

I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are on the new Raw Power SG. To me they don't seem worth buying when the Faded Special SG is cheaper, has a rosewood fretboard, and has a mahogony body instead of maple. I suppose an advantage of the Raw Power is the finished body instead of the faded...I'm not even sure if the Raw Power has even been released yet, but what do you all think of the general idea of the Raw Power?

I haven't played one. I really think the natural finish Raw Power looks kind of cool. However, I think they would look better if they put a rosewood fretboard on 'em.

I wonder if it's going to be brighter sounding because of the maple body. I bet it weighs a little more. I dunno. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I'm going to wait until I can play one.

I brought mine home two days ago. I got the Blue/Silver burst finish, and I must say it is a great guitar. The maple is noticeably snappier, and the fretboard is perfect. I own two Les Paul Customs and a Fender American Strat, and tone wise this SG sits right between the Gibsons and the Fender. The pickups sound awesome and their output is ideal for getting great classic tones, but has no trouble covering more modern ground as well. If Gibson is consistent in their production of these instruments I would definitely recommend checking them out for yourselves. Surely you will not be disappointed.

I brought mine home two days ago. I got the Blue/Silver burst finish' date=' and I must say it is a great guitar. The maple is noticeably snappier, and the fretboard is perfect. I own two Les Paul Customs and a Fender American Strat, and tone wise this SG sits right between the Gibsons and the Fender. The pickups sound awesome and their output is ideal for getting great classic tones, but has no trouble covering more modern ground as well. If Gibson is consistent in their production of these instruments I would definitely recommend checking them out for yourselves. Surely you will not be disappointed.[/quote']

pics?

why the **** would u buy these stupid shams of real gibsons when for just another measly dollar who could get the beautiful sg classic with p90s now thats a real sg

Because some people, rather than buying a guitar for how it looks or what name it has on it, buy a guitar for the tones it can produce and for its playability. Please stop posting useless drivel. Unless you've played one of these guitars and can provide helpful input, there's no reason to just idiotically scream about how bad they are.

PS- I plan on testing these soon as I find one around town. I'm really interested in seeing how the maple sounds with the '57 classics.

Because some people' date=' rather than buying a guitar for how it looks or what name it has on it, buy a guitar for the tones it can produce and for its playability. Please stop posting useless drivel. Unless you've played one of these guitars and can provide helpful input, there's no reason to just idiotically scream about how bad they are.

PS- I plan on testing these soon as I find one around town. I'm really interested in seeing how the maple sounds with the '57 classics. [/quote']

im not just talking about the looks...with that guitar u get the tone of the legendary P90S. combined with mahogany body that gives u real SG TONE...if u want the kind of tone that this guitar is gunna give u then go play a strat...not going to be much of a difference

why the **** would u buy these stupid shams of real gibsons when for just another measly dollar who could get the beautiful sg classic with p90s now thats a real sg

Well, I would have liked to see a maple neck on a mahogany body but this is a "real" Gibson and from the sound of it a far better made guitar than the faded specials. P90s on a classic is a great combo I grant you but some people dont want P90s. The Raw power comes with (I think) 57s which are very much a traditional Gibson pickup.

So the only reall issue is that it isnt mahogany. Well not all gibsons are or have always been. many people have called for Gibson to reconsider the mahogany neck on the SG as mahogany isn't really suitable and they break too easily. Maple will be better for the neck. personally I am pissed off that this model wasnt available 6 months ago as I would have looked at it very seriously.

I brought mine home two days ago. I got the Blue/Silver burst finish' date=' and I must say it is a great guitar. The maple is noticeably snappier, and the fretboard is perfect. I own two Les Paul Customs and a Fender American Strat, and tone wise this SG sits right between the Gibsons and the Fender. The pickups sound awesome and their output is ideal for getting great classic tones, but has no trouble covering more modern ground as well. If Gibson is consistent in their production of these instruments I would definitely recommend checking them out for yourselves. Surely you will not be disappointed.[/quote']

Since your new here, it's an unwritten rule that you MUST post pics of your guitars ...

We'll let agreegious infraction slide this time. Providing you do eventually post some pics -

:-s

Well' date=' I would have liked to see a maple neck on a mahogany body but this is a "real" Gibson and from the sound of it a far better made guitar than the faded specials. P90s on a classic is a great combo I grant you but some people dont want P90s. The Raw power comes with (I think) 57s which are very much a traditional Gibson pickup.

So the only reall issue is that it isnt mahogany. Well not all gibsons are or have always been. many people have called for Gibson to reconsider the mahogany neck on the SG as mahogany isn't really suitable and they break too easily. Maple will be better for the neck. personally I am pissed off that this model wasnt available 6 months ago as I would have looked at it very seriously.

[/quote']

the maple BODY throws me off...if it had a mahogany body and a maple NECK then would be just fine as your still getting most of ur tone out of the mahogany...my sg has a maple neck/mahogany body and ive played maybe a dozen or so SGs with mahogany/mahogany and i dont hear the difference...but with the maple body its going to sound more like a fat strat than an sg

im not just talking about the looks...with that guitar u get the tone of the legendary P90S. combined with mahogany body that gives u real SG TONE...if u want the kind of tone that this guitar is gunna give u then go play a strat...not going to be much of a difference

Or... we can quote the fourth post in this thread from someone who actually owns this guitar:

The maple is noticeably snappier' date=' and the fretboard is perfect. I own two Les Paul Customs and a Fender American Strat, and tone wise this SG sits right between the Gibsons and the Fender. The pickups sound awesome and their output is ideal for getting great classic tones, but has no trouble covering more modern ground as well. If Gibson is consistent in their production of these instruments I would definitely recommend checking them out for yourselves. Surely you will not be disappointed.[/quote']

Dunno about you, but it seems like the one person who's played them on this forum has liked it. I'll trust the person with two LP Customs and an AMA Strat when they say "this guitar sounds good."

Dunno about you' date=' but it seems like the one person who's played them on this forum has liked it. I'll trust the person with two LP Customs and an AMA Strat when they say "this guitar sounds good."[/quote']

alrite thats ur opinion but i still dont trust them...who knows i might like them when i try them but i think its still a jump way off from a traditional sg

Because some people' date=' rather than buying a guitar for how it looks or what name it has on it, buy a guitar for the tones it can produce and for its playability. Please stop posting useless drivel. Unless you've played one of these guitars and can provide helpful input, there's no reason to just idiotically scream about how bad they are.

PS- I plan on testing these soon as I find one around town. I'm really interested in seeing how the maple sounds with the '57 classics. [/quote']

I'm with you Vegabond Dude. The soild Thin Maple body Should sound sweet with 57's and the Natural finish with no fillers and the light satin top coat should help it vibrate/breath more.

The traditional thin Mahogany SG's are Darker sounding than a paul and the new maple body on the SG Raw Power will brighten it up a Few notches and in no way will it sound like a fender. That's Crazy.

the maple BODY throws me off...if it had a mahogany body and a maple NECK then would be just fine as your still getting most of ur tone out of the mahogany...my sg has a maple neck/mahogany body and ive played maybe a dozen or so SGs with mahogany/mahogany and i dont hear the difference...but with the maple body its going to sound more like a fat strat than an sg

You know what, I also own an SG prophecy and I love it so it is with great reluctance that I say........................

Your SG isn't even a real Gibson!

Also, pick a bunch of different SG models. Do they all sound the same? NO of course not. This is just another option. At least it is not another over-priced junk option. It is a real and viable choice for buyers on limited budgets.

I like the idea of the raw power. I don't see why people complain about Gibson coming up with new models. If they didn't innovate and change designs from time to time we wouldn't have any of the classics we know and love today. I agree they should offer more of the old models with more options but I'm all for new designs also.

Hey guys I will be sure to post pics as soon as I get them taken...Im waiting for a nice day outside to do a decent photoshoot with all of my guitars. (Its been raining for a week now...)

In reference to the suggestion of spending a few more dollars to get the SG Classic- It did tempt me but one of my LPs has P90s. I love the P90s but I feel that one guitar with them is plenty for me! Ive been dying to have some 57's which sound awesome, very well balanced and capable of capturing all kinds of tones. I play thru a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue and multiple boutique-ish pedals for overdrive/distortion etc...

Im glad there is a lot of interest in this model, and i hope that the "traditionalists" will let go of their preconceptions and try something new. I work at a Gibson dealer that carries the full line of electrics and acoustics (including custom shop pieces), so i have seen and played just about every current model Gibby in production. This SG may be the most versatile axe in my collection, and I am still loving it. (had it for about a week so far). Im really thinking about installing a vibramate and popping a bigsby on this beast, but Im not 100% convinced that it'd be worth it for me.

Thanks guys, take it easy!

ps- try not to tear a guitar apart when you dont have any firsthand experience with it, or any Gibson for that matter...

I have to say the initial news leaks on this guitar were confusing to say the least. At first it was advertised as maple body with a mahogany neck. Now we know it is all maple but I believe the LP version IS maple body with a mahogany neck. Am I right and if so WHY?

I do find it interesting that Gibson chose this particular combination of wood and pups. I am not saying there is anything wrong with it at all but they do not offer a traditional mahogany SG with 57s at this price range nor a maple guitar with any of the usual Special/standard/classic pickup combinations. Can anyone comment on the 57s particular suitability for use with maple compared to say the 490s?

You know what' date=' I also own an SG prophecy and I love it so it is with great reluctance that I say........................

[/quote']

ROFLMAF !! I was wondering how long it was going to take for someone to make this comment! Wish the GC near me would get one of these in. I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one. Just have a feeling............

Steve, if you get your hands on a good prophecy SG, I guarantee you will like it. It is not like a Gibson SG (the neck is waaaay faster). It is beautifully finished AND it sounds great. Visually not to everyone's taste and the neck might not suit players who have grown up on chunkier stuff but I absolutely LOVE mine (with the genuine Gibson Dirty Fingers pups). I certainly would not consider an SG faded special to be anywhere near it even though the price is similar.

My point is that it isnt a Gibson. I will compare it to Gibson in terms of quality, value and so on but I wouldnt expect to make an exact comparison, particularly from a tonal point of view. (Not least because I have never seen a Gibson SG with two Dirty Fingers installed as standard. maybe Gibson should do it!

I pre-ordered a natural and look foward to getting it (due 6-04). There are few pictures available..So I look foward to seeing pictures of your SG when you post them. On Gibsons LP raw power page they posted up a "beauty shot"...and to me..it IS a beauty! Wish they would post up some beauty shots of the SG also.When Gibson first announced the release of these guitars, I do not remember reading anything about it being a limited edition....Now I read they are limited.

Thank you Gibson for the variety!

I really want to know about the neck on the raw power. How good is it and how is the finish. I like a thin fast neck because I have small hands and I dont like rough edges on the frets because - well that just isnt acceptable on a guitar over $150!

what gave you the clue? the headstock of the fact gibson wouldnt ever try a design like that (im just messin with u i know its not a real gibson but i still love it just as much ill ever love a gibson sg) the thing is the maple fretboard and maple body just dont tickle my fancy...once again when i try im mite like it i mite not, but until then im just gunna look at the more tradition sg's

Archived