Gibson Brands Forums

Atlas-C1 Headstock support tool

PatG

Hello and thanks in advance, I've created the Atlas -C1 for several reasons .After experiencing three Headstock breaks over the years , two of them were complete break separations during a relocation , and how that occurred is still a mystery till this day , they were secured in cases and by all appearances, were being handled properly . The third break happened on the flight to winter NAMM in 2019 from Washington D.C. I was the BrownBox company owner at the time , that one was a bad fracture. Well that was it, i had had more than enough aggravation dealing with broken instruments and set out to create a tool that i and hopefully others could use to greatly reduce the chance of these occurrences . Please take a moment to review our website and determine if you too can benefit from the protection and support of the Atlas -C1 . www.atlas-c1.com

AtlasC1_Artwork_01.jpg

• Like 1

I remember atlas stands so I’m not sure how bad this is but the website doesn’t look like a place where you should put your card info and the ad was clearly very poorly written by chatgpt

this guys ad bot casually claimed he was the CEO of UPS in part of the description for no reason at all. The red flags are looking red and similar to flags, but this also reeks of a boomer mindlessly using AI so it’s hard to tell

• Like 1

I agree

But the site states September 24 when the item will be available. 

I was hoping for a PayPal option, as they are good with disputes on the buyer end of things, and you don't have to provide any credit card info.

Felt against wood.  Ain't gonna work.  The headstock breaks in shear when it's moved maybe a few thousandths of an inch.  The felt is like 1/8" thick.  By the time it gets compressed 1/4 of the way, the headstock's long since broken.  The technical term is Nuh-Uh.  

It's like the guys who made that hokey submarine that collapsed trying to dive to the Titanic.  Whenever you use dissimilar materials next to each other under high stress there are going to be problems with the softer material where it meets the stiffer material.  The difference between felt and wood's stiffnesses are orders of magnitude apart.  No way they can act as one unit under the stresses they're supposed to resist.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 7/27/2024 at 8:06 AM, badbluesplayer said:

Felt against wood.  Ain't gonna work.  The headstock breaks in shear when it's moved maybe a few thousandths of an inch.  The felt is like 1/8" thick.  By the time it gets compressed 1/4 of the way, the headstock's long since broken.  The technical term is Nuh-Uh.  

It's like the guys who made that hokey submarine that collapsed trying to dive to the Titanic.  Whenever you use dissimilar materials next to each other under high stress there are going to be problems with the softer material where it meets the stiffer material.  The difference between felt and wood's stiffnesses are orders of magnitude apart.  No way they can act as one unit under the stresses they're supposed to resist.

I think the mechanical creep from the apparatus dissipates rather quickly, and that particular artifact would only come from the thread pitch that is used to apply the clamping force, certainly there could be a small trace of hysteresis the wood itself goes through, but since the wood is being "pushed" in one direction, you would only see the effects of that hysteresis when the apparatus is removed from the headstock. 

4 hours ago, duane v said:

That friggin hilarious sparq..... lol

And @sparquelito  So more off topic: I used to watch movies like the Man in the Iron mask, or those medieval dungeon scenes and period pieces and think of them as just creepy entertainment, pretend stuff.  Then I read in grad school Foucault’s Discipline and Punish about the rise of the modern incarceration system.  In the first couple of chapters he paints very vivid images of how these methods were used in real life do these things to real people who were in violation of some often capricious rule, serious, or even petty crime, or were just not desirable, for say, being an unwed mother, or penniless invalid.  Then describes how the communities used to get together to watch the “fun” and/or be “educated” into behaving “properly.”   His description of what exactly it meant to be “drawn and quatered” does not leave you unscathed…. 

Edited by PrairieDog
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

And @sparquelito  So more off topic: I used to watch movies like the Man in the Iron mask, or those medieval dungeon scenes and period pieces and think of them as just creepy entertainment, pretend stuff.  Then I read in grad school Foucault’s Discipline and Punish about the rise of the modern incarceration system.  In the first couple of chapters he paints very vivid images of how these methods were used in real life do these things to real people who were in violation of some often capricious rule, serious, or even petty crime, or were just not desirable, for say, being an unwed mother, or penniless invalid.  Then describes how the communities used to get together to watch the “fun” and/or be “educated” into behaving “properly.”   His description of what exactly it meant to be “drawn and quatered” does not leave you unscathed…. 

I lived in Germany for much of my life. 

In the city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber was a museum of medievil torture and pain. 

I visited there more than a few times. 

😒

https://www.kriminalmuseum.eu/en/

• Like 1