Gibson Brands Forums

Ruined Finish?

Michael Mars

On 9/26/2024 at 8:40 AM, ksdaddy said:

Does lacquer ever truly cure?

Just asking.

This was on the net, so take it for what it’s worth.

How long does it take lacquer to fully cure?

Nitrocellulose Lacquer Drying Time
Time before... Clear Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Lacquer is Touch Dry 15 minutes
Applying Next Coat 4 hours (key finish lightly with 600 grit, then apply next coat)
Applying Top Coat n/a - this is the top coat
Polishing 2 weeks (allows nitrocellulose lacquer to harden before polishing)

On 9/27/2024 at 9:51 AM, Michael Mars said:

I know the finish has no effect on performance, I just wish I didn't come out of this with such a bad taste in my mouth. I've learned a valuable although expensive lesson about nitro finishes on Gibson Guitars and I'm sure this will be the last I buy. I have no mindset to baby sit my guitar's finish. 

So I ended up going back to a Slash Standard. IMO an all around better sounding guitar for the music I play. I prefer the Alnico 2 Pickups on the Slash to the 490T, 498T set on the Custom. Just meaner for tones I like. Also no finish worries that I can see.

Does anyone have any warnings about how to clean an LP Standard Slash before a screw it up? Not my first Slash, but I'll take any cleaning advice from you nice people..

Thanks to everyone for trying to halp me out. 

I may trade or sell my custom, not sure yet. It bums me out looking at it now. 

If you have a Gibson Slash model or are going to get one, you know it’s gonna have a nitro finish too. 

Here is advice about polishing. First try using the polish on a small area on the back of the guitar to see how it reacts. That way if something happens it is on the part of the guitar that is not seen that often. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Damp clean cotton rag or one of those soft flannel rags you can get at home depot

That  is really all that I use 80% of the time.

I gently wipe things down, I don't use a lot of elbow grease.   I'm pretty sure that's what will cause some swirling

On 9/24/2024 at 12:54 AM, rct said:

This is why the finish is not warrantee'd in any way.

And nitro is about as far from bullet proof as you can get.  You actually paid 5 grand for paint that is destined to age, which for some reason is what every guitar player since about 1995 absolutely requires.  Weird.

rct

And they used to use Nitro as a finish for cars! How long do you reckon that would've  lasted? A couple of days maybe.

Nitro has cured when it looks like this

cda754a844bcf9ce9ff7962263e91056.jpg

On 9/24/2024 at 8:16 PM, Michael Mars said:

What really upsets me is that for a simple warning tag about the finish could easily be included with a guitar like this. Certainly if Gibson had any kind of literature included in the case or with the guitar that explained this finish I would have followed the warning and this whole situation would never have happened.

I can't believe I'm the only one ever to by a nitro finished guitar not knowing about the issues with maintenance.

Seriously... it'not every day I have 5 grand to spend on a guitar. A little communication about care would have gone a long way.

Evertything I found online about nitro finishes said to use polish. 

Now I have to eat the $5,500, or live with the finish as is.

To Gibson: NOT COOL MAN!!!

That's the nature of Nitrocellulose finish, it will get hard and brittle. Eventually it will have finish cracks and will age pretty much like vintage guitars. That's what many guitar players want and that's what the majority demands from Gibson, Fender etc. Nitro is not very durable as a cosmetic finish, I remember in the early 70's Fender's catalog said "thick skin finish". But guitar player found out quickly a thinner finish is better, I don't believe nitro finish  electric guitars sound better than poly. But a thin finish makes a difference. 

Black is almost impossible to show no swirls, even with a regular polish. That's why companies like Meguiars offer swirl removers and these automotive companies are not using nitro since decades. Black is a bi..! 

I love how nitro finished guitars age, but that's me. If you don't you should go poly finish, but even with poly you will have swirls. But guitars are tools and should get played, they eventually get dings and scratches. These swirls you have are easy to polish, bring it to a good luthier. But a few weeks playing time will show the swirls again. 

Just enjoy your new guitar!

• Upvote 1

What really upsets me is that for a simple warning tag about the finish could easily be included with a guitar like this. Certainly if Gibson had any kind of literature included in the case or with the guitar that explained this finish I would have followed the warning and this whole situation would never have happened.

In the owner's manual it does give care instructions. 

It specifically says to use Gibson pump polish.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

In the owner's manual it does give care instructions. 

It specifically says to use Gibson pump polish.

Super Sleuth Steve is on top of it. 

• Like 1

Funny I have never read the owners manual on any guitar. 

But I do only use two polishes and I use old cut up 100% cotton t-shirts, and only use them one time and off to the trash.

what causes the swirling is the build up dust on your guitar and you go straight for the rag rather than blowing off the dust first with compressed air then polish with a new fresh rag.

i cringe at car shows when I watch some folks break out their dust mop and start dusting their car. A total scratch and swirl magnet. 

IMG_6869.jpeg

19 hours ago, duane v said:

what causes the swirling is the build up dust on your guitar and you go straight for the rag rather than blowing off the dust first with compressed air then polish with a new fresh rag.

yup!