Gibson Brands Forums

things are lookin up

callen3615

Ok. Well this is the 3rd time ive tried to post this. This forum sucks soooooo bad.

I think I have another part time job lined up. Im almost done with my IT degree. The company is owned by a guy at my church. Nice guy, im good friends with both his sons. Ill make much more than I am making at the golf course, and its actually beneficial to my future.

oh did I mention that one of his employees is a killer guitar player?

Are you working in IT now? What is your IT niche? Once you get a good job in IT' date=' you can usually play some golf with someone else paying for it...[/quote']

Dont know my IT niche yet. I know what I dont want to do, programming, networking, and database management.

Very cool! That part time job could turn into a sweet full time job after you get your degree. Congratulations!

Cool indeed. I dont want to work there forever. they only do hardware stuff. And hardware repair isnt where the moneys at....

Glad it's working out for ya. I remember you were concerend about the future of the golf course employment. Kind of a door closed' date=' window opened thing eh? [/quote']

Im glad its working out too. Im gonna try to work both jobs, at least for the summer.

My first IT position was as a Fortran programmer for a geophysical company...I learned to hate writing code...Networking is more fun and offers lot's of opportunities.

+1

My first IT gig was writing mainframe batch programs (COBOL, EXEC2, etc.) for the Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory and it was boring as hell. I went into web design.

KSG and RichCI, software development these days is a whole different ballgame than it was back in the day (I've been at it for 25 years) . Much more diverse and challenging. Depending on your niche, you get to work on extensive UIs/GUIs, sound, image and video processing, realtime systems, databases, networking, all sorts of interesting algorithms, maths, AI/heuristics, languages etc.. I like embedded systems development best, that is also much more expansive than just a few years ago, and you get to play with modern electronics :-)

DJ

--

KSG and RichCI' date=' software development these days is a whole different ballgame than it was back in the day (I've been at it for 25 years) . Much more diverse and challenging. Depending on your niche, you get to work on extensive UIs/GUIs, sound, image and video processing, realtime systems, databases, networking, all sorts of interesting algorithms, maths, AI/heuristics, languages etc.. I like embedded systems development best, that is also much more expansive than just a few years ago, and you get to play with modern electronics :-)

DJ

--[/quote']

I love posts like this. In the first place, you lost me at UIs/GUIs. Secondly, as old as it seems to you, I worked on a system in the service (ca. 1968-69) that used punch cards and machines called Flexowriters that both produced and read a perforated paper tape. This was the first step (in the US military) towards data processing. We worked in semi-trailers. Later, working for Ma Bell I saw some of the earliest systems go in places like Crocker Bank and BofA where they had the clean-room, white coats and static lines.

In spite of it all, I'm still a wire-spring relay, analog dials and knobs kinda guy.

That's well cool Cruz! You paper tape/card, tube, relay, mercury memory, FORTRAN, COBOL etc. -dudes are the pioneers!

Although I do like the modern stuff, I'm old school at heart and romanticize and read about he golden age of computing, where all these wonders were thought up and tried out. Computing is not the cold sterile thing that many people think it is. It's rich with juicy history and exciting sub-fields, and it's hard work, despair and the delight of discoveries. Think about it, computers are tools that deal with abstractions - the very thing that makes us human. The impact on society and the course of the future is undeniable. Ahhh, yes, I'm raving :-))

You have an exciting time ahead callen3615. Just don't get caught up in the surrounding crap. You know, the hip trendy .com thing where poser bars and golfing with middle management are the important things - It's the craft itself where it's at ;-)

DJ

--

Hmmmm.....

I wrote enough code in the early 8-bit days to do up a word processor of sorts and a database on my "at home" time. Almost got divorced 'cuz my wife likely could have felt she could compete with another lady, even a guitar, but not the "head stuck into the monitor" concentration of learning and writing code simultaneously. <grin>

My baby bro (28 years younger than I am, hence the joking term I use) does av stuff with Uncle Bill's company to help developers make their stuff work under Win something or another. Writes computerized music rather well, too.

I've kinda gotten out of messing with computers and just using the damned things in pretty much everything I do...

Hell, they even make fishing and shooting easier if ever I could find the time.

Yeah, they're the best tool for guitar practice ever invented, as far as I'm concerned.

I was once the "systems mgr" for a small daily as well as being the editor. I don't think I'm qualified nowadays.

Archived