Gibson Brands Forums

Standard vs custom

callen3615

That's a great question, and I personally love both. I have a couple of sunburst standards, and just added a white custom (actually on its way right now). But if I could only have one, I'd stick with a standard burst. It is an icon.

I would go with the Custom. Personally I don't like the Standard or Sunburst for that matter.

The neck on the "New" Standard is asymmetric, meaning the profile changes over the length of the neck. Best advise anyone can give is to play a Custom and a Standard side by side. Don't forget about the Traditional also. The neck on it is somewhere in between a 50s and a 60s profile. You certainly will be able to feel the difference between the ebony fret board on the

Custom and the Rosewood on the Standard.

Nothing like the neck on your RG. I have the same one, and it always takes me some time to get readjusted after playing that thin of a neck.

I think you guys have swayed me from the custom.

This is really the problem with asking these types of questions on a forum because what people say really shouldn't sway you in any direction. You should read at what people are posting and then make a decision after you've tried out both guitars.

Did you know that the White LP Custom is built in the Memphis Factory? Along with the EDS-1275 is the only 'Solid Body' built there.

Customs are built in Nashville. There's only one Custom Shop and it's in Nashville.

Im not getting a traditional. I hate the 50s neck.

What do you hate about it? If it's too fat for you then forget about a Custom...they're even fatter.

Customs are built in Nashville. There's only one Custom Shop and it's in Nashville.

Actually the Memphis Factory is classed as Custom Shop' date=' hence all the Custom Ship certificates you get with 335s.

The EDS-1275 is built in the Memphis Factory as apparently they're better tooled up for the job. And the LP Custom in White is made there apparently because of the paint.

See NeoConMans post here at the bottom of the page.

The new asymetric necks are AWSOME! They feel like the neck on my 61 Martin D-18 although I know it's not exact. It allows good access to the fret board all the way up.

I wish my LP had that neck, but I am getting used to my 50's neck and starting to love it. I have short fingers with large palms, so it felt a little fat at first, but I've learned to find a way and I like the baseball bat feel more and more.

Customs are pretty, but the tone on a Standard is superior to my ear. While the ebony fretboard an a LPC make for some slick playing, the tone is brittle (the old all mahogany bodies are an exception). The gold wears off the hardwear easily too. My $0.02

Yes' date=' yes. Does anyone know about the neck profiles?[/quote']

If you are talking about the asymetrical neck, it is thicker at the top end(thicker string side) and thinner at the low end. It is definitely a different feel than the 60's profile, but comfortable IMO.

I still prefer the 60's slim taper over the 50's rounded. The asymetrical gives you a little bit of both.

If you are talking about the asymetrical neck' date=' it is thicker at the top end(thicker string side) and thinner at the low end. It is definitely a different feel than the 60's profile, but comfortable IMO.

I still prefer the 60's slim taper over the 50's rounded. The asymetrical gives you a little bit of both.[/quote']

I played a 09 standard at gc today. The neck was ok, no complaints. They want 2700 for a new standard. [-X

I dont think so. Ebay here I come.

Actually the Memphis Factory is classed as Custom Shop' date=' hence all the Custom Ship certificates you get with 335s.[/quote']

You're right, it is classed as a Custom Shop. "Classed" being the key word. There is only one true Custom Shop and it's in Nashville. I have a 2007 Memphis 335. I know they're classed as Custom Shop but they're the equivalent of Gibson USA. It's also evident in the 8 or 9 digit Gibson USA serial number that the Memphis 335s have. If they were true Custom Shop guitars, they would not have Gibson USA serial numbers.

Rushview, read this from the Les Paul Forum. http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154113

The truth is Gibson Customer Service is wrong a lot of the time.

The reason the historic 33s are made in Nashville is because they're made in the Custom Shop.

Posted January 2009.

I've just received this mail from Gibson - it seems like they have been giving wrong informations - of some kind

in the first post:

William Baugh til mig

Vis detaljer 17.32 (44 minutter siden) Svar

Hello' date='

I wanted to correct something with you - I’m afraid I was wrong about the ‘59 and ‘63 historics being made in Memphis. They are indeed made in Nashville. Memphis is making the new limited run '59 335 Reissues in VOS and Gloss: (250 of each) but not the historics. I got my wires crossed somehow. Sorry about that Troels.

Regards,

William Baugh

Customer Service Representative

Gibson Guitar Corp

Nashville, TN

1-800-4GIBSON

[email']service@gibson.com[/email]

Archived