Gibson Brands Forums

R.I.P. Randy Rhoads, You Will Be Missed....

DuaLeaD

Randya.jpg

lrg-1991-oz-diary-fullstage.jpg

randy-rhoads-2.gif

rhoads_randy.jpg

Today marks the 26th anniversary of Randy Rhoad's fateful plane crash, killing him and Sharon Osbourne's best friend Rachel Youngblood and pilot Andrew Aycock. The world lost a phenominal talent but in his short life, he managed to inspire generations of guitarists to this day. He would have been 51 years old today.

He is my hero if I ever had one. So gifted yet so humble. He touched every life he encountered and makes me proud every time I pick up my white Les Paul ;)

Gone but not forgotten....

DualLead...

What a shame he was taken so young.

I remember in high school when alot of the rockers had Eddie Van Halen pictures in

their lockers, I had mine full of Randy Rhoads (and Cheryl Ladd ) lol

I played Blizzard of Ozz & Diary of a Madman over and over, and it still hold up today.

As I have said before, he was the one little guy who made Eddie nervous!

Rest in Peace Randy.

Yeah. I was about 14 when he died and at that time he was my all time favorite player. What a shame. I remember my guitar teacher at the time teaching me to play the Mr Crowley solo note for note. I still practice it sometimes but never did get it perfect!

Yeah he had that perfect chemistry/fusion of being able to put the deep, epic classical influence into metal yet never lost sight of the importance of a good riff (Ex: No Bone Movies, Flying High Again).

Some of the heavy classical guitarists of the past and nowadays like to flaunt endless arpeggios which are so mechanical in nature. Randy's playing would touch your soul and you didn't have to over-analyze anything, the talent was upfront and personal. The melody came first, not being flashy and showing off. That's why he's my #1.

Listen to some early Quiet Riot....

You can hear that Randy brought some of his riffs with him when he

joined Ozzy.

On another note...

Randys solo on Revelation Mother Earth is still one of my favourites of all time.

If you've ever listened to the remastered "Blizzard of Ozz" album, the solo for "You Lookin' At Me, Lookin' At You" [bonus Track] is not only my favorite RR solo, but one of my all-time favorites.

It's so intricate, classical, playful, and warm. It reminded me a lot of Brian May's solos with Queen. It's a little piece of heaven.

I've felt Randy's solos were perfect musically, not one note too many or too few. He was a theory maniac and when my bassist told me I should write my own solo for our cover of "Crazy Train", I told him "Why would I want to reinvent the wheel? or repaint the Mona Lisa?"

It's hard not to feel a bit sad whenever I hear his solos (especially my pick at the top or "Goodbye to Romance"). It's not fair that the good die so young =(

On another note...

Randys solo on Revelation Mother Earth is still one of my favourites of all time.

I was going to post that same thought, but left it out. I actually haven't even heard it since 1980 something but still remember how great it is.

Archived