Gibson Brands Forums

Who's ashamed of their generations music?

Homz

I'm not shamed. I was born in the 70's so the 80's and 90's were what I would consider my generation of music. With bands like Queen, Genesis, Def Leppard, Motley crew, Iron Maiden, Led Zep and GnR, I think I was lucky growing up at this time even though some never really lasted past the 90's... I always consider the 80's music scene still living in the wake of the musical 60's.

Regards

1956 to now, so I've pretty much covered the entire scene for rock and R&B.

I think the biggest let down in music for the 1980s was the country scene. All the good performers and writers were doing other stuff, and country kind of hit bottom. The older performers carried the scene through the whole decade, and they got complacent and lazy.

Since the early 1990s, the rap scene has eaten away the profits from most every other music venue, and a lot of good bands gave up thier dreams of making it big, because the record companies were all clamoring to sign rappers, and just left the rockers out in the cold.

The late 1990s started showing some hope for a return to more mainstream type music, and many new recording companies saw the chance to make money on the forgotten rockers. The older established groups started touring again, and that re-awoke interest in writers and promoters.

Since then, there has been a lot of experimental stuff emerging from the young set, and I think the future is quite bright.

I graduated in 1990, but that has no bearing on my opinion on the subject. It seem that the music you have around you when you're growing up Sucks worse than the music fro the Generation before. That's because you don't get the Mass Produced, Copy Cat, Corporate Crap that was made to make a quick buck, and then went by the wayside.

Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra are Incredible Crooners, and they make their Era seem so Romantic and Stylish. But you also have the Crooner Crap like Pat Boone and Zeppo Marks that filled the Airwaves.

I we weren't there, the 60's seem like it was full of exciting new Rock like the Beatles, Cream, and Janice. However those cool tunes were watered down with "I Got Brad New Pair Of Roller Skates, I got A Brand New Key".

The 70's seem like it was all great Blues Rock and Arena Rock, but there was KC and the Sunshine Band to Screw it all up.

The 80's had some Killer Metal and Great Under the Radar Blues, but the Airwaves (in this case, MTV) were filled with Keyboard Driven Bubblegum Crap like Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Depeche Mode.

It's a Matter of the Grass in Greener ect. ect.

FirstMeasure got me thinking a bit...

One thing that I think pretty well was lost in the '60s rock era was a sense of humor. Even country with the occasional "boy named sue" lost the sense of humor.

"Novelty songs" nevertheless seem often to remain longtime popular 50 years later. Interesting.

But 30s through the 50s there were some neat but funny stuff that managed to trip people's musical triggers simply because they were cute: "Three little fishies in an itty-bitty pool ... three little fishies and a mama fishie too." They had good dance rhythm and kids from 4 to 104 could remember enough lyrics and tune to enjoy messing with them. "Seven little girls, sittin' in the back seat, kissin' and a huggin' with Fred...."

The bad thing about the 60s rock and then migrating into the country 70s was just plain a sense of humor. Everything's serious or sardonic instead of intentionally musical and ironic.

Odd thing is that the older blues guys seemed to have done a better job of keeping things gentler and with a wry smile if not an out-and-out musical joke as well as between or during sets, but then... some of their scars were as real as the jokes.

One of the few "sense of humor" songs I've heard of in over a decade is the "country" Chris Ledoux thing "Five dollar fine for whinin'." Yeah, it's country but when you just live up the road from somebody and shop in the same grocery store a cupla years, you kinda maintain an interest in somebody's stuff - and this one is funny, especially with the video if you've ever been in such saloons. Chris died from cancer lookin' about as he did here, btw.

This vid has late rodeo rider/country underground musician Chris pretty well discussing how styles may not mean exactly everything... Oh, yeah, we've got a cupla similar saloons where I live and for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Chris probably enjoyed a libation in at least the Cowboy Back Bar if not the Circle.

He's fibbin' about maybe bein' scared about being in a hat saloon anywhere. If you've been beat up by some of the critters as he'd been, people aren't that big a deal.

The vid- and even the guitar lead - has a sense of humor pretty much the same way...

Not really my style but... It's cute enuf to have fun listening to regardless. But that was Chris and crew.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXzYrXWU_j8&feature=related

Try this one... I think Chris already was dying of cancer...

"Cowboy up" is a pretty common term among a certain crowd I hang out with on occasions.

Then you can figure cowboy rock Rocks... like in...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X12WQ-PiQk8&feature=related

BTW, anybody interested in my favorite rodeo pix - I actually shot it - holler backchannel via the IM.

Maybe my jazz stuff doesn't seem quite right for a picker who kinda lives around rodeo, but... <grin> Heck, I do the fat chords so I can keep the hat side up and the boot side down. <bigger grin>

I guess it's official, I have become my father. I'm ashamed of the younger generations music, as was he.

The really funny part of this story is that in the Big Band I play in, we play the music of HIS generation.

Milod's Right about the "Sense Of Humor Gap" in the generations. I was watching an old W.C Fields movie called International House. A silly movie with cameo appearances by all kinds of Star of the Day. In one scene Rudy Vallee, known for singing through a big Megaphone, is singing a love song to a bed with what appears to be a sleeping woman in it. He pulls back the covers to reveal his Megaphone. That was funny, and I thought those old Singers took themselves very seriously, but quite the opposite.

FirstMeasure got me thinking a bit...

One thing that I think pretty well was lost in the '60s rock era was a sense of humor. Even country with the occasional "boy named sue" lost the sense of humor.

"Novelty songs" nevertheless seem often to remain longtime popular 50 years later. Interesting.

But 30s through the 50s there were some neat but funny stuff that managed to trip people's musical triggers simply because they were cute: "Three little fishies in an itty-bitty pool ... three little fishies and a mama fishie too." They had good dance rhythm and kids from 4 to 104 could remember enough lyrics and tune to enjoy messing with them. "Seven little girls' date=' sittin' in the back seat, kissin' and a huggin' with Fred...."

The bad thing about the 60s rock and then migrating into the country 70s was just plain a sense of humor. Everything's serious or sardonic instead of intentionally musical and ironic.

Odd thing is that the older blues guys seemed to have done a better job of keeping things gentler and with a wry smile if not an out-and-out musical joke as well as between or during sets, but then... some of their scars were as real as the jokes.

One of the few "sense of humor" songs I've heard of in over a decade is the "country" Chris Ledoux thing "Five dollar fine for whinin'." Yeah, it's country but when you just live up the road from somebody and shop in the same grocery store a cupla years, you kinda maintain an interest in somebody's stuff - and this one is funny, especially with the video if you've ever been in such saloons. Chris died from cancer lookin' about as he did here, btw.

This vid has late rodeo rider/country underground musician Chris pretty well discussing how styles may not mean exactly everything... Oh, yeah, we've got a cupla similar saloons where I live and for what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Chris probably enjoyed a libation in at least the Cowboy Back Bar if not the Circle.

He's fibbin' about maybe bein' scared about being in a hat saloon anywhere. If you've been beat up by some of the critters as he'd been, people aren't that big a deal.

The vid- and even the guitar lead - has a sense of humor pretty much the same way...

Not really my style but... It's cute enuf to have fun listening to regardless. But that was Chris and crew.

[/quote']

I have to disagree brother having growning up i was keenly aware of the humor in much of what was goin down. Songs by the Beatles, Kinks, and The Who were done with a wink and a nudge.

• 5 weeks later...

Californiaman, please stop all this BS and have respect for the members of this forum.

You are resurrecting Homz posts in an obvious attempt to stir some sh!t.

I get th3e impression the you are a bit "off the rails".

Please kindly stop.

Archived