Gibson Brands Forums

ANY Beatles freaks out there?????

onewilyfool

Yup, another one whose life was changed when the Beatles appeared on the Sullivan Show.

Last night I was just goofing around and came with with a walking bass pattern that sounded real familiar - realized I had stolen it from the Ballad of John & Yoko. So I spent the rest of the night messing with that tune.

Funny, but back in the 1960s it was rare to hear a band cover The Beatles. I guess the thought was that you could never do the tune justice.

Funny' date=' but back in the 1960s it was rare to hear a band cover The Beatles. I guess the thought was that you could never do the tune justice.

[/quote']

Yeah, but so much music sounded ripped off from the Beatles. First time I heard "Something" I thought, oh man, another Beatles ripoff. Guess the joke was on me.

Hmph! There's that cruel Jaxson50 again' date=' with his beautiful archtop...

(+1 on "Many Years from Now")

:) [/quote']

Thanks Jayla, that L-4 has been with me a long time, it was old and beat up when I rescued her, now I'm old and beat up and she hasn't changed much since I brought her home. Just had the frets dressed.

Thanks Jayla' date=' that L-4 has been with me a long time, it was old and beat up when I rescued her, now I'm old and beat up and she hasn't changed much since I brought her home. Just had the frets dressed.[/quote']

Maybe you ought to have your frets dressed, too. :)

Yeah' date=' but so much music sounded ripped off from the Beatles. First time I heard "Something" I thought, oh man, another Beatles ripoff. Guess the joke was on me.[/quote']

I never realized till I read "Many Years From Now" how many of the Beatles tunes were actually John and Paul copying or paying tribute to other artist. The obvious one is "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away " which according to Paul was written by Lennon as a tribute to Dylan. Another one of Lennon's that even according to Lennon was a direct copy was 'Come Together". It was taken from Chuck Berry's "You Can't Catch Me", according to Paul, the Beatles slowed the tune down, and turned up the bass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw8xolzenhA

Sometimes it was just a twist on the words of a old Broadway song that they would borrow. But they were huge fans of Soul Music and what surprised me was Paul saying that "My Girl" was the inspiration for the riff from "She's a Woman" played behind Lennon superb rhythm guitar.

Overall it's hard to imagine how people like John and Paul, or Bob Dylan, or many other writers come up with inspiration, Lennon's writing of "Hard Day's Night" is amazing. They had already filmed most of the film, and didn't have a name for it yet. They were working in the studio recording to songs for the movie, it was late and Ringo said something like, "I'm beat, it's been a hard days night", Lennon always kept a note book with him looking for inspiration (which Ringo was a great contributor), Lennon remarked to Paul that he would have a song ready in the morning. The next day he came into the studio and played "Hard Day's Night" for the band, and that was it. The rehearsed it, and cut it.

Maybe you ought to have your frets dressed' date=' too. =P~ [/quote']

My frets need to be replaced!

Hey theres a sweet L-4 for sale on Ebay, a cut away. I think it's a 69'. the guy was asking $2,900.00 I think.

They've got so many "lesser known/loved" numbers that it would be great to cover...

This is so true. I hate playing "go-to" Beatle tunes (Norwegian Wood, et. al.) and love playing the obscure ones like I'm So Tired, Sexy Sadie, For No One, Mother Nature's Son and Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Anthony

I am the same way, and it isn't like there's a shortage of songs to pick from!!!

"She's Leaving Home" and "I'm Fixing a Hole".

The early stuff is always fun to...

Funny, my grand mother taught piano and violin, loved classical and Broadway musicals. When she was in her 70's I left a Beatle song book at her house... I never got it back!!!!!!!!!

She loved "Good Day Sunshine" and 'When I'm 64" and many others, which she considered "tin pan alley" style music she grew up with.

Then she discovered Jim Croce. But that's another story..

First saw The Beatles in late 62 or early 63 in Bath.

They were backed by Chet and the Triumphs (what happened to them??)

http://www.gertlushonline.co.uk/sounds-of-1960s--1.html

The venue (Bath Pavilion) held a regular "concert" on Monday nights featuring acts from "the Hit Parade"

I recall there being about 200 of us there.........................little did we know what was coming!

Unfortunately, for a while, they did kinda lose me around Revolver too. A little the way that Dyaln lost me after Blonde on Blonde.

Having said that I have a lot of music now by both after those albums, I guess at the time I was so far into Scott McKenzie, Daisies, Acid and hippychicks that I got led astray!

And if anyone ever tries to lead me back they will be in deep doggie doo-dooos!

When I was a little boy (think it was in the summer of 1972) in Bulgaria there were no Beatles. They were allmost forbiden. No Beatles on the radio... This was "western influence" and Beatles were wrong.

My grand father worked as a physician in Algeria for 5 years and just had return from there with my grand mother and my oncle. My oncle - a guitar player had studied 5 years in Algeria where The Beatles by that time were allmost forbiden too, but he could buy several LP-s and brought it in Bulgaria.

I remember the first song that had moved me deeply in my life - "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da".

I did not know a word in english and I started to copy the lyrics from the back of the poster of the "White album" because I wanted to learn to sing the song!

In 1975-76 I started to learn to play guitar. I started to learn on the Beatles songbook.

Yes, I am their fan.

Still sing & play sometimes "Yesterday", "Michelle", "Girl", "Here comes the sun", "No reply", "Cry baby, cry", "Honey pie", "When I'm 64"...

By the way - what happened with Julian Lennon? Some 20 years ago he made good songs similar to Jon's songs and the voice was allmost the same....

I hate playing "go-to" Beatle tunes (Norwegian Wood' date=' et. al.) and love playing the obscure ones like I'm So Tired, Sexy Sadie, For No One, Mother Nature's Son and Happiness is a Warm Gun.[/quote']

+1.

The numbers you mention are really good ones. I also really like to play and sing "This Boy," even though the chord progression is a little corny, and "Yes it is."

"Mother Nature's Son" I never learned properly; I'll have to look into it...

I've had their stuff (and not only theirs) in so many different formats it makes my head spin: 45s, LPs, cassettes, CDs, MP3s -- I'm sure they'll be at least 2-3 more before I die.

Oh well. Like Pete Townsend said: "It's amazing how the music industry continues to find new ways to sell you the same old music."

I've been practising "I'm So Happy Just To Dance With You", out of a book - Larry Beekman, 'Beatles for Classical Guitar.

I've finally reached the point of critical mass, where I think the wires between my brain and fingers are picking up the really unusual combinations. This has been a very good exercise for me in trying to re-learn how to read music, finger pick and chew gum at the same time. Not to mention, significantly improved my appreciation for the Beatles.

Archived