Gibson Brands Forums

ANY Beatles freaks out there?????

onewilyfool

Thanks guys.... That is a cool site since it has everything in one nice place. Since getting the LG1, I have been starting to play a bunch of Beatles stuff again. It just sounds sooooo right on the LG1! Currently I play, Yesterday, Here there and everywhere (great fingerstyle version), Here comes the sun, Norwegion Wood in DADGAD, All my loving and I am sure there are others I am forgetting. This site will help me expand even more.....

Now, anyone got any Rolling Stones tabs (especially in Open G like Keith played so often)? I got the bug for that after the Gibson email that had Arlon Roth teaching the riffs for Honky Tonk woman in open G.... fun stuff that also sounds best when played on the LG1.

John, George and even Ringo YES! But to be completely honest I never really cared for Paul as a Beatle.

Now as a solo artist and Wings front man (Denny Mclaine area) YES! He was great in that role.

I wore out Band on the Run, Wings over America, and Speed of Sound as well as most of his other solo Lp's

But he was John's writing partner, and I have to respect that.

There would most likely not be one without the other.

I'm a Beatles fan, but my fandom is dwarfed by my (nearly) 16 year old daughter's. This July, I give a talk at the University of Liverpool at the meeting of the International Assoc. for the Study of Popular Music. Oh, and I've got a solo gig in Liverpool at the Zanzibar Club. My daughter now respects me!

I admit to being a long-time fan of theirs. I grew up with their music (first LP purchased with my own money: the "White Album"), taught myself to play by learning their songs, covered many of them in bands over the years, and still play them to this day, only now alone, at home, and on an acoustic guitar.

Some of my favorites to play, in no particular order:

• "Julia"

It took a while to master, and there are still a couple of spots I find difficult to play correctly each time (esp. the F9-Fm7 change), but it's a treat to play and sing this one.

•"Strawberry Fields"

I love doing this one alone, on the acoustic guitar. I play it in A (I believe the recording's in Bb, can't recall). IMO it sounds great with just guitar + voice.

• "Blackbird"

What can I say? I guess it's inevitable to learn this one when you're learning to fingerpick.

• "Long, long, long"

One of my favorites of the Beatles. Easier than heck, and a beautiful, underrated (IMHO) ballad.

• "Here, There, and Everywhere"

Really nice changes, especially the Fm7-B7 change.

• "Dear Prudence"

Another fun one for fingerpicking, though my version (copped from the LP) sounds a little thin at spots, 'cause I can't figure out how to get a strong bass tone on some of the chords in drop D tuning.

• "I'm Only Sleeping"

I've always loved this one, too, though I play it in E, whereas the recording's in Eb -- they slowed the instrumental tracks down on this one (on "Rain," too).

• "I'm So Tired"

Nice and easy to do.

• "Sexy Sady"

Love the progression, not so much the title.

• "Within You, Without You"

It's just one, long G7 chord...

At the risk of appearing to be a Somalian seafarer, what do you guys think of the "Love" album?

All 4 of my children have been introduced to The Beatles this way and it's always a popular choice on the car cd player. Ages 5 -15, they all sing along.

I wouldn't class myself as a Beatles fan but I do really love their music. The more I listen to them, the more I realise just how influential they were/are - chord changes, harmonies, unforgettable riffs.

I think Paul gets alot of flack in the UK, most of it unjustified. He plays the megastar role very well and has always been more in the public eye than the others. I thought Wings were a great band and even if you think he is a prat (which I don't) it's hard to dispute that he is a gifted musician and songwriter. I remember seeing a small concert of his in a BBC studio a couple of years ago on the telly and he really was a class act.

I was born in Liverpool and spent the first twenty years of my life there, going to the same High School as McCartney and Harrison (though much later than them). Along with the football teams, the Beatles surface in just about every aspect of the city and I was swept along with the tide :( I much prefer their 67-70 period and can spot the Lennon tunes (my preference) a mile away.

I believe they would have been a completely different band had George Martin not influenced and 'facilitated' (dreadful word - sorry) them. He truly was the fifth Beatle.

the beatles are why i became interested in music and playing the guitar. little did i know that 45 years ago, as kid living in france, listening to AFN radio, hearing the beatles for the first time would set me on a life path that would see 30 years in the music business and a life long love of the guitar. i feel darn lucky.

At the risk of appearing to be a Somalian seafarer' date=' what do you guys think of the "Love" album?[/quote']

I thought I wouldn't like it, but I do for occasional listening. IMO it's an imaginative collage of some of their best known tunes.

everyone's always on Lennon's tip...but to be honest...without Paul alot of the melodies wouldn't exist...

he was the softer side to Lennon's razor sharp wit in my opinion...

alot of people love John...and its arguable that he is one of the greatest that ever came...

everyone loves Ringo and George...but Paul seems to be the sticking point with a lot of people and that is just something I don't get...

Paul was a guitar player who SWITCHED to Bass in order to facilitate the band...

sure he was a bit pompous...re-dubbing Ringo's drums...and musically re-doing a lot of the parts played by the other guys...but I just never saw him as the prima donna of the group...that was always John's role.

now that being said...John was a genius...he had a way with words and in my opinion was the most "mind-expansive" of the group...maybe except for George...but here is where its tough to love John for me...he seemed to be the most easily swayed by outside forces...of anyone in the band...

he seemed to be the weak link in terms of bad influences...political...social...experimental...etc...

he was open-minded and trusting and naive while at the same time being raw and earthly...does that make sense?? probably not but thats the only way i can describe it...

He seemed to have the success go to his head the most and he seemed to be the one that wasnt of the group mentality first and foremost...and thats why its tough for him to be my favorite...

he was the brightest star out of the group...yet allowed himself to morph into something he perceived as bigger than the group...and that to me is the antithesis of a band...

but thank god they all got together and made some great music!

i even saw ringo and his all-star band with johnny winters...billy squier...the guy who sang dream weaver...and others...

he still has it...

regardless this was fun to vent...

I liked, and still like a lot, the early pop 3 minute song Beatles. Right up through Revolver, they were simply the standard bearer for am radio. They start to lose me with the Sgt Pepper album, although at the time I thought it the most sophisticated music I ever listened to.

I liked' date=' and still like a lot, the early pop 3 minute song Beatles. Right up through Revolver, they were simply the standard bearer for am radio. They start to lose me with the Sgt Pepper album, although at the time I thought it the most sophisticated music I ever listened to. [/quote']

I agree with a lot of this, though I do dig some of their later, spacier stuff and think that the "White Album" contains some of their strongest songs...

in my opinion they didnt have a bad album...the key word being album...most groups today make hits...or singles...and while there is nothing wrong with that...it helped Mo-Town out!

the beatles were special because they created masterpieces...songs that if you listened to individually you would go...that is good...but when you listen to their whole albums...it just fits...and makes sense...they made albums...

no one does that today...Beck had a couple of good shots at it...and their are a few groups in the 90's who pulled it off only once though...not many people can have their whole catalog be quintessential albums...not even the stones can claim that...but the beatles had a good run and individually they still remain the favorites of tens of millions the world over!

"Matchbox holdin' my clothes" = Fabs to Carl Perkins to Blind Lemon. I'll take it. J

Coupla other great lines from "Matchbox":

-- Let me be your little dog, 'til your big dog comes

and of course

-- If you don't want my peaches, honey, please don't shake my tree

I have been a fan of the Beatles since watching them on their first Ed Sullivan appearance.

I have read every book I can find on the Fab Four. If you want to read some good stories check out

"Many Years From Now" the authorized biography of Paul.

Here's a guy, singing, playing bass and writing songs in the most popular band in the world while sharing a bedroom with his girl friends brother in their parent home! Even while filming Hard Day's Night he was still living there, he even had a elaborate escape plan worked out with many of their neighbors so he could avoid the fans gathered outside the Asher's home.

I really enjoyed the stories behind the song's. One night Paul and John are in the dinning room of Paul's fathers house writing a song, Paul's dad is watching TV, the two lads rush into the front room and play this new song for him, when they finish he say's "It's a nice song Paul, but enough with the Americanism, can't you just say YES YES YES?"!

To think that they recorded their first album in one day! All of their work was done a four track machine! They changed music forever.

The story behind the recording of "A Day in the Life" is great. As for the White Album, imagine that almost every song on that record was written during a twelve day period while they were in India. According to Paul he and Lennon wrote 40 songs in a little over two weeks.

Another good book is "Wonderful Tonight" by Pattie Boyd for a behind the scenes look of the band and the relationship between the Beatles.

Archived