Gibson Brands Forums

Collectabilty, Value, Bang-for-the-Buck, etc. in Reissue Les Pauls

Benoit Trow

After hanging-out/lurking here for a while, I’m hankerin’ for a Les Paul Standard and was wondering what to look and lookout for? Seems like there’s a ton of them, but what’s best in terms of value, collectabilty and, at least, holding its price in the long run?

Forgive me if this has been covered, if so please direct me.

Thanks!

Trow

how much are you looking to spend? neck size preference? flame or plain? used R7/R8 and G0s can be had for around $2k (ive seen them go for as low as 1600-1800!!!!!)

i bought my R9 used for well under $4k.

Sadly, given the current economic "crisis", most LPs aren't as "collectible" as they once were (with the exception of one-offs/limited runs), not that they're not valuable, but they will never be AS valuable/collectible.

Here's why.

- Not made the way they used to be (almost completely by hand)

- Not made with the exact same materials (inlays, used to be MOP, but are now acrylic), lack of solid wood body construction (chambered/weight relieved), etc.

The worst part is that, none of the newer LPs will EVER reach the appreciated value of older ('50s/'60s) LPs, but that doesn't mean that you won't be able to find a decent one. It just takes time and patience...oh yeah! money also helps.](*,)

I always make the same mistake, but still insist on saying; TRY HER OUT BEFORE YOU BUY!!! In other words do not buy on internet! Go check numerous guitars in used guitar stores, and the good one is the babe you cannot put down. She might not look as good as newer models but the feel and sound is something you can't see in internet, thus you must physically experience many guitars to make the right choice. I always say this and make the mistake of buying on internet and am always disappointed. Trust an old dog when he says this.

Here's why.

- Not made the way they used to be (almost completely by hand)

- Not made with the exact same materials (inlays' date=' used to be MOP, but are now acrylic),[b'] lack of solid wood body construction (chambered/weight relieved)[/b], etc.

Historic reissues are not weight-relieved. They're solid.

Trow, how much money are you looking to spend? Any Les Paul with Page's name on it is ridiculously overpriced...but it's also one of the only ones that will ever really appreciate in value. Other than the JPs, I'd definitely say the ~2003 reissues with Brazilian rosewood, maybe the artist models coming out in 2009, maybe the R8 - R0 50th anniversary models, and maybe the two Custom Shop Slash models. The problem with all of these is they all cost a lot of money to begin with.

Think of Gibson guitars the same way you think of cars. Would you buy a Ford as an investment? Obviously, not.

If you want to buy a great guitar that's a lot of money, not ridiculously overpriced and will maintain its value, buy a used '57 or '58 LP reissue. They can be had for as little as $1,800 US and are much better than their Gibson USA counterparts...and considering that a used Les Paul Standard is around $1,500, the '58 almost sells itself.

New guitars, I'd have to say the Traditional is the best bang for the buck. Again, it would have been the '58 a year ago but now they're too expensive.

well considering that the prices of the gibsons go up and up i think they all are an investment sort of. meaning that a standard will probably reach 3,000 u.s. sooner then we think which makes older standards keep or appreciate in value from when it was purchased. for instance 1970 deluxes. les paul studios( i remember when they were around 600 u.s.) customs were around 1100 u.s. at one time now they are over 3000> so they all are an investment in a way

Historic reissues are not weight-relieved. They're solid.

Trow' date=' how much money are you looking to spend? Any Les Paul with Page's name on it is ridiculously overpriced...but it's also one of the only ones that will ever really appreciate in value. Other than the JPs, I'd definitely say the ~2003 reissues with Brazilian rosewood, maybe the artist models coming out in 2009, maybe the R8 - R0 50th anniversary models, and maybe the two Custom Shop Slash models. The problem with all of these is they all cost a lot of money to begin with.

Think of Gibson guitars the same way you think of cars. Would you buy a Ford as an investment? Obviously, not.

If you want to buy a great guitar that's a lot of money, not ridiculously overpriced and will maintain its value, buy a used '57 or '58 LP reissue. They can be had for as little as $1,800 US and are much better than their Gibson USA counterparts...and considering that a used Les Paul Standard is around $1,500, the '58 almost sells itself.

New guitars, I'd have to say the Traditional is the best bang for the buck. Again, it would have been the '58 a year ago but now they're too expensive.[/quote']

Hey Man,

Just read your post about chambering, weight relieved and solid. So, which one(s) are the most collectible, which I presume means rarest?

Also, when you ask how much I wish to spend, that depends on whether the guitar comes with a GREAT divorce attorney!

Thanks!

Trow

Just read your post about chambering' date=' weight relieved and solid. So, which one(s) are the most collectible, which I presume means rarest?[/quote']

Well, there are fewer historic reissues (and Custom Shop guitars, in general) made every year. Nobody knows for sure how many are made because Gibson doesn't release production numbers...but to answer your question, none of them are rare.

Hey Fenn, how many reissues would you say are made every year? 5,000 - 6,000, give or take, would be my guess.

I know each year varies but it seems like they're really cranking them out now.

Until the mid '80's, all old guitars were just "used" guitars. Then Japan started coveting USA made

Gibson and Fender, and suddenly, all HELL broke loose, with all this "Vintage" pricing, and insanity.

So, Who Knows...where the next "big thing," in guitars will come from? I can't really see any currently

produced Gibson or other manufactured guitars coming anywhere close to a early 50's Strat, or late

50's-1960 LP Standard, in value. Lots of reasons, most already stated. But, as long as "inflation," and

demand, continue, Gibson's and Fenders...Ric's, Martin's, etc...will at the very least "Hold" their value.

I'd buy what you want to PLAY, rather than worry about how much it will be worth, in some future

fickled market. But, that's just me!

CB

Well I'm with guitarest. I played 100s of Les Pauls before I bought my first one. It had the right combination of feel and looks. Even if you buy a Standard and decide to sell it later, you aren't going to lose much.

Well' date=' there are fewer historic reissues (and Custom Shop guitars, in general) made every year. Nobody knows for sure how many are made because Gibson doesn't release production numbers...but to answer your question, none of them are rare.

Hey Fenn, how many reissues would you say are made every year? 5,000 - 6,000, give or take, would be my guess.

I know each year varies but it seems like they're really cranking them out now.[/quote']

god, who even knows? they're really cranking em out....esp the R8s. i see tons of them.

According to this:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18137

All LPs are weight relieved or chambered. The current exception being the Michael Bloomfield 1959 Les Paul Standard, which specifically states: "Starting with the Les Paul’s traditional hand-carved maple top and solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back,"

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Michael-Bloomfield-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

This is all new and very confusing to me!

Trow

here is my take for what its worth...

gibsons...and les pauls at that hold their value regardless of what type or config...

if you buy a thousand dollar gibson...it should hover around that price...give or take a few bucks...

the same can be said if you bought a 2 thousand dollar one...etc...

value wise they arent going anywhere...

for collecting purposes...some are obviously more desirable than others...

if you were going to buy a guitar purely as an investment...a 2-3 thousand dollar standard is not going to put your kids thru college...so dont even bother thinking of it as an investment...think of it as an INSTRUMENT that you want to play...

i see the real expensive gibsons for sale all the time and either they are limited run custom shop deals...that look like they were bought and never opened...or they are actual vintage pieces that a dead uncle left for people in a will...unless you have a 63 firebird or some sort of black beauty or other rare guitar...dont think of them as anything but a fun investment in your sanity!

get a standard...have fun and beat the hell out of it...if your kid finds it in a closet 18 years from now...let him beat the hell out of it...then maybe his kid will find it and sell it for dozens of thousands...

According to this:

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=18137

All LPs are weight relieved or chambered. The current exception being the Michael Bloomfield 1959 Les Paul Standard' date=' which specifically states: [i']"Starting with the Les Paul’s traditional hand-carved maple top and solid, non-weight relieved mahogany back,"[/i]

I thought my post was pretty clear...

Gibson Custom Shop

Gibson's Custom Shop makes regular production guitars and historic reissues. The regular production guitars, such as the Les Paul Custom, are also weight-relieved. They are not solid. The historic reissues, '58 reissue (R8), '59 reissue (R9), etc, are solid. All historic reissues, be it Standards or Customs, are solid. The exception being the chambered reissues. Chambered reissues are often referred to as Cloud 9 guitars. They are identified by their serial number, which begins with CR. www.chambered-reissue.org

gibsons...and les pauls at that hold their value regardless of what type or config...

if you buy a thousand dollar gibson...it should hover around that price...give or take a few bucks...

for collecting purposes...some are obviously more desirable than others...

if you were going to buy a guitar purely as an investment...a 2-3 thousand dollar standard is not going to put your kids thru college...so dont even bother thinking of it as an investment...think of it as an INSTRUMENT that you want to play...

i see the real expensive gibsons for sale all the time and either they are limited run custom shop deals...that look like they were bought and never opened...or they are actual vintage pieces that a dead uncle left for people in a will...unless you have a 63 firebird or some sort of black beauty or other rare guitar...dont think of them as anything but a fun investment in your sanity!

get a standard...have fun and beat the hell out of it...if your kid finds it in a closet 18 years from now...let him beat the hell out of it...then maybe his kid will find it and sell it for dozens of thousands...

YOU said it!:-

I'd have to disagree with you there. The $1,000 Gibson...yes, you're right - prices will remain around the same.

Not on the expensive ones, though. New prices on GC.com:

Traditional - $2,299

R8 VOS - $3,700

R9 VOS - $5,100

I used the Traditional and not the new Standard because the Traditional is really the Les Paul Standard.

Now look at what they're selling used:

Standard - $1,500

R8 VOS - $1,800 - $2,200

R9 VOS - $3,300 - $4,000

A nice Ltd Run '59 50th Anniversary Model should hold it's value quite nice I would've thought. And I mean the Super Limited Run colours, like the 25 Ltd Run series like the ones at Wildwood Guitars or the 59 Ltd Run models that are doing the rounds in Europe here.

Quite a bit more expensive obviously but a modern STD or a Trad just isn't going to considered 'vintage'.

The current Custom Shop Reissues apparently are held to quite a strict weight range and have to be fairly close to 8.5/9lbs. This could of course be bulls**t but that's what the Gibson 'How A Custom Shop Guitar Is Built' section says on their website.

Archived