Gibson Brands Forums

Memorial Day

recsec

To all those who have served, to all those who have friends or Loved Ones who didn't come back, on this weekend we take time to remember and praise your service!!

Thank you for keeping this the land of the Free, the home of the Brave.

Tom Condon

AMEC USN Retired

To these people we owe our lives, our fortunes, our dreams, our respect and our solemn promise to never forget.

The debt is great, so great that all we can really offer is to pray that future generations are willing to live up to the standard set by these heroes.

Since the birth of this nation, we have stood on their shoulders, they have been our foundation, from every nationality, regardless of hardships, and prejudices they faced in their pilgrimage to become Americans, they have risen to the challenge, they have laid their lives down, for us.

Memorial Day can be a bit strange....

I can't forget the couple of years when our high school band played - this is back in the 1950s when school lasted into June... and watching other kids flopping onto the ground from standing too long at attention in the heat. We had tight USMC style collars...

But the strangest was when I first moved here six years ago - the first time I'd lived in the same town with my parents since I was 16 - and there was my Dad's name among local veterans names in the Memorial Day program and he was still alive. It's not like I didn't know he'd served, but...

Then a few years later, he was gone and oddly enough I was asked to be the speaker. In 1862 "union" uniform I talked about the origin of the day and even read "Logan's Orders," something no longer done.

Interesting....

My (late) Dad was in the Air Force. My uncle, (his youngest brother) was a Marine, and did air evac in Namm. He's still alive.

God bless each and every one. I missed Namm by only a few months.

Murph.

Is it any act more unselfish than giving your most valuable possession : your life for your country ? I can't think of one . I stand in awe in the incredibly brave souls in the armed forces , they truly are most deserving of a day of gratitude from us all. Thank you !!!!!!!!!!

Something comes to mind.

Not that I want to be one of those type of Americans, but just once I'd like to see a post from a French fellow on a day like today. Perhaps just a simple thanks for giving up our grandfathers and fathers.

Sorry, this sort of thing and this day specifically actually means a lot to me.

Archived