Gibson Brands Forums

Amp recommendations

LeBudfrumHull_SG

So I took the plunge and I got an SG ... and a lefty at that !

I can't believe the difference from my old Strat clone ...

the feeling and the sustain are amazing ! =D>

So to go along with my new axe, I need an upgrade from my

Samick amp ,even though I have to admit it's been bullet proof and

it can play very loud .

What amps can get the most out of the SG ?

I've seen many posts recommending tube amps, but I'm open to

solid state if it gets me the tone I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a combo costing around 400-600 $. ..

Or should I wait to save up for something more expensive ...?

I play mostly classic rock (Black Sabbath , AC/DC

with some Offspring thrown in for good measure ...;>)

THanks !

LeBud

Congratulations on getting a new guitar. You'll have to put up some pics...

As for an amp, you just can't go wrong with a tube amp of some kind. You should definitely be able to get something that sounds good with the budget you're working with. Just make sure you take your guitar with you (or use an SG in the store) when you are trying it out.

Thanks for the reply twiz .

I saw on the Musicians Friend website, Crate and B-52 tube combos marked down from over a grand

down to $359.00 ... ? Whoa ... take it easy credit card ....;>)

BTW - I'm a Sens fan but since they're out of the playoffs I'm hoping the Pens win the cup this year too.

I haven't played one of those b-52's. You mentioned that you wanted a combo amp, but you could even get a 1/2 stack for close to the price you want to pay. I think GC or Musician's Friend has those Peavey Windsor amps for around the price you're shooting for. I don't know if you want to be that loud though.

Mesa Boogie has a really awesom 2X12 combo (I think it's the Nomad, I can't remember) tube amp. A friend of mine has one, and he has just an awesome tone. No pedals, just the guitar and amp. They're kinda pricey. You might be able to find something really cool used. Just take your time. Don't buy the first thing you see. Check stuff out and don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible.

I think this vox combo sounds great though i don't actually own one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC15CC1-15w-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103635231-i1145854.gc

I have an old 70's traynor MARKIII tube head and a 4x12 cab. I got my traynor head for about $250 and it is loooouuuddd and has great tone. I play indy music but the guy i bought it from was all blues and classic rock so its malleable. TraynorMkIII.jpg

Here is the little brother of the head i've got for sale on ebay. I'd say i would rather have the smaller because the head weighs almost as much as my 4x12 cabinet. They made the transformers huge and heavy in those old heads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-VINTAGE-TRAYNOR-TUBE-AMP-YBA-1A-LOOK_W0QQitemZ120426442474QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09f9aeea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I've got a '86 Les Paul Studio, an '86 SG special, and '95 Epiphone Sheraton Semi-hollow and a cheap Squier jagmaster and it sounds great will all of them.

I think this vox combo sounds great though i don't actually own one.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-Classic-AC15CC1-15w-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-103635231-i1145854.gc

I have an old 70's traynor MARKIII tube head and a 4x12 cab. I got my traynor head for about $250 and it is loooouuuddd and has great tone. I play indy music but the guy i bought it from was all blues and classic rock so its malleable. TraynorMkIII.jpg

Here is the little brother of the head i've got for sale on ebay. I'd say i would rather have the smaller because the head weighs almost as much as my 4x12 cabinet. They made the transformers huge and heavy in those old heads.

http://cgi.ebay.com/70s-VINTAGE-TRAYNOR-TUBE-AMP-YBA-1A-LOOK_W0QQitemZ120426442474QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c09f9aeea&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I've got a '86 Les Paul Studio' date=' an '86 SG special, and '95 Epiphone Sheraton Semi-hollow and a cheap Squier jagmaster and it sounds great will all of them.[/quote']

I bought the aforementioned VOX amp a couple of months ago,goes very nicely with the SG. very happy with it.Give it a try in the shop.

Hey Gatineau! Bienvenue sur le forum! Je ne sais pas trop si t'es francophone, mais bon, je vais en profiter pour faire un peu de changement...

Le VOX AC15 est vraiment incroyable!! C'est vraiment un bon/beau choix! Bons speakers, beau tone smooth...

Si tu préfères les sons cleans et la distorsion plus "harsh" je te suggère un ampli Fender comme le Hot Rod DeVille 212. Il est plutôt versatile, beau reverb, tout à lampes... mais il est très fort, trop fort à mon goût... Un Vox c'est un choix éclairé!

Si tu veux sauver ton argent pour un ampli versatile d'encore meilleure qualité, à lampes, je te suggère le Orange Rockerverb!! Tout un ampli mais il est plutôt cher...

Sérieux, fais le tour des magasins avec ta guitare... Tu verras que le Vox est super class ; ) T'en auras pour ton argent, c'est de la qualité! BTW, bonne idée d'opter pour un ampli combo!

Tube all the way (is there an echo in here?) and I would recommend looking at some used beauties, especially if you are thinking about a Fender. New Fenders are way over priced. IMO older tube amps are the way to go: Silvertone, Magnetone, Gibson, etc. Something with point to point wiring. Maintenance on them is easy. As for Mesa, I advise staying away. For a little more than their outrageous price you could get a killer boutique amp. Plus the fact that every malaka rock band like Nickelback uses them. More generic sound than a Strat into a Fender amp.

As for Mesa' date=' I advise staying away. For a little more than their outrageous price you could get a killer boutique amp. Plus the fact that every malaka rock band like Nickelback uses them. More generic sound than a Strat into a Fender amp.[/quote']

Yea, those Mesa amps suck......

Murph.

He's gonna be Greek'd if he keeps dissin' Mesa Amps.........

O:)

Bwahahahahahahaha.

Knew I'd catch some flack for my hating on Mesa amps. I hate Strats too, but that appears to be ola kala* on a Gibson forum.

*OK in Greek

Hey thanks for responses guys ! Merci Beaucoup !

Didn't want to start a racist war here ...;>)

I looked up on other forums and the Vox AC15 seems to be really well liked by almost

everyone who's tried or bought it .

The only problem is that there isn't a ton of music stores around here apart from Steve's ,

Long & Mcquade etc ... the choice of amps is kinda limited...

I looked on the websites and there isn't even one AC15 to be found ...:>(

I'll keep my eyes (and ears) open , maybe one will come my way.=D>

Peut - etre a Montreal ?

Archived