Gibson Brands Forums

Dream tone...

thetimecircus

How many of you have finally achieved your "dream tone" - the tone you've been searching for for years?

Mine comes from the following "keep it simple" combination:

Les Paul Standard Gold Top

Maxon OD-820

Soldano HR50+ running 6V6 tubes from Eurotubes and various preamp tubes to fine tune the tone!

You already know how kickass a Les Paul is anyway, but in this combination - Wow is all I can say.

:-({|=

I've achieved several dream tones. With a couple of Fenders, three Gibsons, and an AC30CC there is a lot of tone to be found!

Just last night I happened upon a dead ringer Doyle Bramhall tone. Strangely enough it was out of a Les Paul......

I am always experimenting with tone...I can't say I've found a dream tone yet. Seeme I go through moods with my tone, some days saturated distortion or completely clean.

I have my Les Paul direct into my Crate Palamino V16. Occasionally I put my Tubescreamer in. Yesterday I kept the gain on 10, the bass on 0, and the treble on 10, and just used my guitar's tone controls sparingly....very interesting tone that sounds great, really brings out pinch harmonics, and it seems to take away a lot of the Les Paul darkness, and seems to allow the pickups to dictate tone rather than EQ settings.

My favorite tone without any pedal right now is my '67 SG Special Reissue w/P90's through an AC30. I play a G&L Legacy (a strat) through a Fender Twin Reverb (that SRV growl) and it runs a close second. Then again there's my LP standard... sounds good through anything. My tone tastes (and gear) have changed many times over my music career.

After years and years of searching for it, i recently found it, my quest for tone is over.

The perfect clean: my gibson les paul standard faded into a vox ac30 (2x12)

The perfect crunch and lead distortion (from blues to maiden): same setup as above but with a marshall guv'nor plus and a boss super overdrive.

The perfect metal distortion: the same clean tone with a metal zone.

For delay a boss dd20 gigadelay, best delay i've ever owned.

I see you use an AC30 from VOX too P90Pete... Zaphod B has one too, and Aaresz has an AC15, maybe it is time to start "the VOX AC thread"

I am always experimenting with tone...I can't say I've found a dream tone yet. Seeme I go through moods with my tone' date=' some days saturated distortion or completely clean. [/quote']

Same here; while I have a basic tone that's definitely *my* tone, it mostly comes from the way I hold my pick but still tends to evolve and change over time along with gear and musical styles. Obviously, going from an LP to a Strat or whatever gives me different flavors or at least variations of my tone as well. Plus, there's the sound I use at home while playing by myself then there's the sound I use that blends well with my band; my "bedroom jammer" tone has a lot more low end to it while my sound with my band is much more cutting and uses less low end to give the bass guitar more room.

In short, yes, I have a tone that's mine but I vary it and change it to fit the situation or song.

One of the reasons I like my Epi Valve Junior is that there is no EQ- its the natural tones of the wood and the pickups coming through. I kind of get the same tone with my Crate when I turn the bass down and the treble up. My feeling is the Les Paul is a bassy sounding guitar to begin with and to add too much bass muddies it up further.

How many of you have finally achieved your "dream tone" - the tone you've been searching for for years?

Mine comes from the following "keep it simple" combination:

Les Paul Standard Gold Top

Maxon OD-820

Soldano HR50+ running 6V6 tubes from Eurotubes and various preamp tubes to fine tune the tone!

You already know how kickass a Les Paul is anyway' date=' but in this combination - Wow is all I can say.

:-k [/quote']

I dunno, I plug either one of mine straight into my Marshall with no effects, and by golly, there it is! That sound! The way it vibrates through your spine is like a drug to me. The only thing comes close is the time I hooked and landed a 450 lb. shortfin mako shark off Montauk in '88. I remember that like it was yesterday. It's almost primal, what it does when I play my Lesters.

When I think of "my tone" I only speak of distortion... as for cleans, I'm with RichCI, all about the fingers... though you really can't be a '65 super reverb... hooked up to any guitar.

For distortion I want thick, tight, and over the top harmonics... But not so much gain that you can't hear the notes, the gain should come from hitting the strings harder... If it's a "metal" pedal, than I'm positive it has that annoying hiss that they all do, the one that takes away from the true break-up of distortion. IMO a metal sound is all a matter of starting with a good overdriven gain sound, then EQ-ing it to the sweet spots bound by the speakers and enclosure...

Overall, Yes I have found my realm tone, though it will never be restricted to a specific setting, just some common ground...

Archived