• Created
  • Last Reply
By the way' date=' as far as Hendrix and Townsend destroying

their guitars…hardly.

They were stage props. Pawn shop guitars, picked up before

the show to be used as part of the act.[/color']

/chuckle

Reality check.

Hendrix didn't set a stage prop on fire. He did it spur of the moment. Very much an "It seemed like the thing to do at the time" moment.

Or at least that is what Hendrix said in an interview about it published in Guitar World magazine. You may be right though, and he may be wrong.

Kyle did what I'm sure he has seen ALL "really cool guitarists" do, no more, no less. He was taught by our idols. As you stated... he is a race car driver, not a musician. To him, and millions of other people, it's just a guitar. So he got to smash a guitar on stage. I am certain there are likely more folks who fantasize about doing that some day than there are folks who worship Les Paul guitars, or would know their value.

Oh... and if NASCAR were really "fixed", Jeff Gordon's car would explode every week, and Dale Jr. would win every race. The fans would go nuts. I will give you a +2 for levity, though, as I have often said NASCAR is the freakin' WWE of motorsports (See Jeff Gordon's "win" at Talledega), but the reality is, there is too much random "sh!t happens" stuff going on to make that a plausible scenario.

I now return you to your "Kyle Busch/NASCAR Haterz" meeting...

Ouch. That footage was hard to watch. Seriously, I cringed.

But you know what? That's nothing that the people working in Gibson's Repair & Restoration shop can't handle.

Hendrix didn't set a stage prop on fire. He did it spur of the moment. Very much an "It seemed like the thing to do at the time" moment.

“spur of the moment” “It seemed like the thing to do at the time"

There just happened to be a can of lighter fluid and a pack of matches

on his cabinet?

Hendrix' date=' (in an acid induced haze): Hey, WOW. Wait a minuet. Hold on here.

I know what would be far out. Lemme light my guitar on fire…as there happens to be this,

out of place can of lighter fluid, and inadvertently placed pack of matches, right next to it, on my

cabinet.

Now really, is that what you think?

Then, after the act takes on iconic status, is he going to tell Guitar World magazine;[/color']

Hendrix: “Yeah, well man. If I knew the gimmick was going to get this kinda press,

I’da started doin it with the Velvetones.”

“I used to break a guitar every performance — if not two sometimes —

and they would always cost around $150. They would always cost me

an incredible amount of money to find — they’d cost, like, road manager’s

time and my time to look through pawn shops, local music stores and

things like that.”

- Pete Townshend

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/guitar/equip-smashed.html

The rock star antics originated last year when Busch told his team

he would smash one of racing's most coveted prizes if he ever won

at Nashville.

"It didn't break according to plan," Busch said. Plan?...What plan?

Maybe I’m cynical, but doesn’t it appear a bit odd that the only

person to say he would smash the guitar if he won it, just so happened

to win it the very next year.

You couldn’t have scripted it any better!

http://www.wtkr.com/sports/sns-ap-car-nascar-nationwide,0,983315.story

Interviewed him today before the Pocono race . He said NASCAR and Gibson was cool with it. He bought two more guitars , one for him , one for his crew chief. He plans on bandsawing the smashed guitar , autographing the pieces and giving them to his crew. He also did say Gibson makes some well built guitars so maybe there was some good that came from it?

/chuckle

Reality check.

Or at least that is what Hendrix said in an interview about it published in Guitar World magazine. You may be right though' date=' and he may be wrong.

Kyle did what I'm sure he has seen ALL "really cool guitarists" do, no more, no less. He was taught by our idols. As you stated... he is a race car driver, not a musician. To him, and millions of other people, it's just a guitar. So he got to smash a guitar on stage. I am certain there are likely more folks who fantasize about doing that some day than there are folks who worship Les Paul guitars, or would know their value.

Oh... and if NASCAR were really "fixed", Jeff Gordon's car would explode every week, and Dale Jr. would win every race. The fans would go nuts. I will give you a +2 for levity, though, as I have often said NASCAR is the freakin' WWE of motorsports (See Jeff Gordon's "win" at Talledega), but the reality is, there is too much random "sh!t happens" stuff going on to make that a plausible scenario.

I now return you to your "Kyle Busch/NASCAR Haterz" meeting...[/quote']

+1

Well said.

“I used to break a guitar every performance — if not two sometimes —

and they would always cost around $150. They would always cost me

an incredible amount of money to find — they’d cost, like, road manager’s

time and my time to look through pawn shops, local music stores and

things like that.”

- Pete Towhshend

http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/equipment/guitar/equip-smashed.html

In 1972, I watched as the Who played Chicago, and end of the night - Pete came out for an encore playing a very familiar looking guitar.

A week before - My friend Greg had just traded-in his old '64 SG Special towards the purchase of a new '72 Les Paul Deluxe at the Chicago Guitar Gallery.

A few days later we confirmed at the store that a roadie for the Who purchased Greg's old SG special for the asking price $190.

I thought Greg would be devastated - but instead he was rather jovial.

"Wow - nobody but me and Pete Townsend will EVER play that old SG again!"

I guess I was brought up in the "clean your plate" era to the point that even today I hate "leaving" food on my plate.

That should give some idea of how destroying a real LP of any sort hits me the wrong way.

In fact, I had been thinking of picking up a super-cheapie pawn shop type piece to convert to a 7-string (double the G an octave up). Then I got thinking about some of the "super-cheapies" I've owned, and now are worth bundles if original, and I lose the courage to play that sort of game.

So I dunno what to say about the idea of somebody, permission or no, destroying something like an LP or anything else.

I wonder too how many others who would love a real Gibson LP might think of this. I'm no NASCAR fan so I wasn't aware of this thing until now. Still... a good guitar is a terrible thing to waste.

m

Paul Stanley has a roadie hand him a stringless Washburn at the end of the last song (usually Black Diamond)

EVERY concert they do' date=' and breaks it on the stage, then gives the neck to 1 lucky groupie in the front row

and the body to another.

He's done this since 1975.

I've personally seen it happen 5 times.[/quote']

yeah, i don't really know kiss that well besides some of the songs, so i wouldn't know that.

At least Pete Townshend has roadies who gather the parts and glue the Guitars back together! It is a waste not to keep the Custom Shop Guitar intact. However he can afford to get another. I enjoy Classic Cars and Guitars. I treat them with the love & care they deserve. (But that sounds corny right?) I think if your a billionaire you can afford to waste some cash on stuff you love. But you won't see me trashing a guitar very often, maybe for charity I'd do it.

At least Pete Townshend has roadies who gather the parts and glue the Guitars back together! It is a waste not to keep the Custom Shop Guitar intact. However he can afford to get another. I enjoy Classic Cars and Guitars. I treat them with the love & care they deserve. (But that sounds corny right?) I think if your a billionaire you can afford to waste some cash on stuff you love. But you won't see me trashing a guitar very often' date=' maybe for charity I'd do it.[/quote']

ARe you the guy on the Sam Ash tour?

Busch capped his victory celebration after the NASCAR Nationwide Series race by grabbing the custom-painted guitar by the neck and slamming it three times into the Victory Lane concrete before tossing it aside.

The rock star antics originated last year when Busch told his team he would smash one of racing's most coveted prizes if he ever won at Nashville.

To its credit, the guitar chipped but never shattered.

"It didn't break according to plan," Busch said. "We'll go back to the shop and cut it up into smooth pieces so everyone on the team can have one. Then I'm going to order two more for me and (crew chief) Jason Ratcliff.

"Everybody's (smashed a guitar) except race car drivers. Those sorry saps take it home in one piece. I'll break it up and share it with the team."

One onlooker who applauded the theatrics was Sam Bass, the artist who paints Nashville's trophy guitars.

"I'll be honest with you, I was stunned when it happened,'' Bass said. "But when I went to Victory Lane to take a picture with Kyle, he said there was no disrespect to me, the speedway or the sponsors. He just said he was going to give each one of his guys a piece of the trophy. In the spirit of rock and roll and, as someone who appreciates rock and roll, he put on a show.''

Hey Roger G...

I've been away from following Formula 1 for a thousand years or so - since the Austin Healy 3000 hadda go - and is Damon related either to American Phil or Brit Graham?????

m

Who gives a crap if the driver smashed the guitar? 1) It's just a guitar and 2) it was a guitar built to be a trophy which would have sat in a case next to whatever other trophies the guy had rather than played.

Who gives a crap if the driver smashed the guitar? 1) It's just a guitar and 2) it was a guitar built to be a trophy which would have sat in a case next to whatever other trophies the guy had rather than played.

I see your point but you also have to think of the hours of work and craftsmanship that went into making that guitar. Even though it was given as a trophy it was a real, quality guitar that could have made beautiful music in the right hands. After all the hard work and expense Gibson did to create it I think it's a disrespectful shame to smash it just as if it were a piece of crap not worth saving... And if he wanted to give his pit crew each a piece of the guitar he would have been better off spending some of that prize money and buying each and every one of them a copy of the same guitar.... Just think how proud and greatful they would have been, not to mention he would have been supporting a good company and pumping money into the economy....

There is no justification. He is a ********!!!

Archived