Gibson Brands Forums

I dont beleive it....

Towzend

Yes.

Twenty years from now we'll all get a good laugh out of this whole thing but in the meantime we need to wait. My '89 was pretty much deflowered when I bought it. I replaced it with a newer yellow-dot 200 guard but I didn't like it on the '89. The '89 (sycamore) is very understated and the newer guard looked like poo on there. I scored an older one with no stripe around the edge and before I put it on the guitar I coated it with about 7 coats of brushing lacquer and then buffed it. I do NOT condone doing that but it workd for me. For now anyway.

Uhh.. 3 grand for a j200' date=' and the pickgard motive is wearing away??

Do they all do this??[/quote']

Yes! Call Montana they will send you a new one, Then do what ksdaddy did. I assume you bought the guitar new.

They sent me a new one that I never used. (It's the book marker for my Gibson book)

As they explained to me,,,,,they will replace "1" pickguard for free.

So what is it about the process that makes the scratchplates deflower so quickly. The scratchplate on my 1960 J-200 is fine.

It's just paint on top of plastic. Paint doesn't really stick to plastic all that well in the 1st place. When you add a pick to the equation, the paint begins to disappear. I read on this forum that the newer ones are made with the paint embedded in the pick guard. But I've also read that the pattern, is covered with something that is kind of gooey? I haven't seen the new ones, so I really don't know what Gibson has done as a solution to the problem.

:-&

So, better believe it, Towzend.

I have the same problem. I have my 2007 M-R GIBS since 09.02.2009. When I play with fingers I touch the pickguard with my IV and V finger. So the paint in that place allready erased.

I can not complayn in Boseman, because I purchased the guitar from e-bay. Even if I replace the pickguard with a new one it will erase soon too.

Low quality - this is what can I say.

The instrument is perfect, but this detail sucks....

So what is it about the process that makes the scratchplates deflower so quickly. The scratchplate on my 1960 J-200 is fine.

Probably the chemistry of the paint used. I have a 70's era, Norlin built, Epiphone. It has the Epsilon painted on the black guard. The guard is covered in pick scratches, as expected, as well as the area over the Epsilon. The epsilon has no indication of defolitation.

One wonders if it has anything to do with the EPA. Back about the 70s or 80s, the US EPA got a law passed that required manufacturers to reduce their emissions of VOCs. VOCs which come from the drying of paint. This had an adverse effect on all painted objects. Anyone own an automobile from this era? Many different methods of painting everything from kitchen appliances to automobiles were adversely affected as paint would pre-maturely wear off, requiring repainting cars which were barely 5 years old. Apparently the EPA didn't figure on the added VOCs added to the atmosphere from the repaint opperations.

Someone recently reported here, of receiving a new PG from Gibson. They way he/she described it, it sounded as if it were an 'encapsulation' applique. Quite floppy and rubbery textured it was probably a clear PVC coating over a substrate with the graphics applied. Sounds like a good solution. I belive the poster commented that you could press a pick into it, leave a dent, then it would flatten back out, with no indication of a dent.

Right.. Ok' date=' So if i bought a top of the range car, would the paint rub off??

Gibson.. I love you, but shame on you!![/quote']

Or even a lower end car!!

Right.. Ok' date=' So if i bought a top of the range car, would the paint rub off??

[/quote']

Yup. The GM company line was it was environmental damage not covered under the new car warranty... And where is GM now?

I have known a few people who held GM's feet to the fire and got their cars repainted gratis, but they had to do some major complaining. One gal I knew. 5'2" and sweet a disposition as you ever come across...But... she had a mean streak I never pressed. She got her car painted multiple times.

Order up your one and only complimentary Gibson replacement guard. Maybe it'll be the encapsulated variety.

The beauty of the blingless J45 :-)

Joking aside, I understand that the newer ones do have the detailing protected, as it is embedded. Also, some folk on here have rightly pointed out that the problem can be solved by getting in touch with Gibson to get a new one. I'm not sure if anyone has had success in doing that here though?

The beauty of the blingless J45 :-)

Joking aside' date=' I understand that the newer ones do have the detailing protected, as it is embedded. Also, some folk on here have rightly pointed out that the problem can be solved by getting in touch with Gibson to get a new one. I'm not sure if anyone has had success in doing that here though?[/quote']

I did!

=D>/

If mine wears off (doubt it) I will replace it with a plain dark toroise one a la J100. But I may have it licked. And since it's in rotation with the other guitars it only gets a little play time anymore.

I'll 2nd that!! I think the J-100's look great!

One wonders if it has anything to do with the EPA.

One need wonder no more. The old paint, which stuck to plastic better, was banned by the EPA. It was specially formulated stuff made in Germany, IIRC, and nothing Gibson can legally use today comes close. Hence, the new embedded-rather-than-engraved design.

-- Bob R

I painted my homemade boat with a mixture of (modern) green enamel and a can of aluminum enamel I found in a machine shed that was getting torn down in 1987. The silver paint is probably from the 50s and likely has a whole bunch of white lead in it. The paint shell will probably be retaining the shape of the boat long after the plywood has turned to poo. If I see the beavers floating with x's over their eyes I'll discontinue use.

In the meantime I doant seee annnnnnny sighns of dain bramage (tic) (tic) (tic)......

Gibson.. I love you, but shame on you!![/quote']

I paid $25,000 for a new Dodge pickup truck and within 5 years the paint (clear coat) started peeling off. Chrystler would do nothing to remedy this. I hope they fold!! The truck looks like it should be in a leper colony. I may have it painted vintage sunburst.

Archived