Gibson Brands Forums

Traveling Wilburys

Thundergod

I got their first CD when it came out. It was better than most of the other pop music of the day.

Was Jeff Lynn also the producer as well as one of the members? I could Google it, but that's no fun.

You should look for some of their music, I think you will not like it very much as you are more into metal :- but it was a great band, or supergroup as they are called now.

Tom Petty

Geroge Harrison

Bob Dylan

Roy Orbison

and Jef Lynne

Great musicians on their own, no wonder they formed a great band

You should look for some of their music' date=' I think you will not like it very much as you are more into metal :- but it was a great band, or supergroup as they are called now.

Tom Petty

Geroge Harrison

Bob Dylan

Roy Orbison

and Jef Lynne

Great musicians on their own, no wonder they formed a great band

[/quote']

Metal isnt the only thing i listen to...ill check em up...great now my Band list is at 45...i need to get a job.

The recent rerelease of their 2 CD's has a dvd included with some great video of the band recording and home movies. They actually recorded the first one in Dylans kitchen and on one track Drummer Jim Keltner plays the refrigerator. I think their second CD suffers from the loss of Orbison Who passed away after the release of vol I.

Outstanding band! Just wish they could have endured a bit longer...made some more Albums, but

what they did, was great, fun stuff, without being too silly or serious. I too, have the 2 CD-1 DVD set,

and really enjoyed the "behind the scenes" stuff. Loved all those Gretsch guitars, too! (Can I say that here?) ;>)

CB

I hated them. IMHO' date=' they were all passed their prime. [/quote']

+1

I liked most of them individually, but as a group......I never did like them. George Harrison was in the middle of his "This Song is Just Six Words Long" stuff. Roy Orbison had been irrelevant for decades. Bob Dylan was mostly a novelty for the group. And Tom Petty was teetering on the edge of irrelevance. Then there's Jeff Lynne...the "other" guy in the band.

I believe Jeff Lynne did produce their stuff. I liked 'em, just couldn't listen to 'em all the time...'course I guess that's true of anything out there pretty much...except Joe Satriani, I can listen to him all day long, especially "The Extremist" his best IMO.

+1

I liked most of them individually' date=' but as a group......I never did like them. George Harrison was in the middle of his "This Song is Just Six Words Long" stuff. Roy Orbison had been irrelevant for decades. Bob Dylan was mostly a novelty for the group. And Tom Petty was teetering on the edge of irrelevance. Then there's Jeff Lynne...the "other" guy in the band.[/quote']

I disagree. George Harrison had just released his best album to date with "Cloud 9" , Roy Orbison had just done a HBO show ( Roy Orbison and Friends : Black and White Night) with some of rock music's heavyweights , Tom Petty released "Full Moon Fever" in '89 and "Into The Great Wide Open" in '91. Jeff Lynne co- produced Cloud 9(3x platinum) and Full Moon Fever( 5x platinum) both of which topped the charts. And let's not forget that The Heartbreakers toured with Dylan in '86 and '87. In addition to The Wilbury's album going 6x platinum and winning a grammy I would say no one in the band was teetering on the edge.

I disagree. George Harrison had just released his best album to date with "Cloud 9" ' date=' Roy Orbison had just done a HBO show ( Roy Orbison and Friends : Black and White Night) with some of rock music's heavyweights , Tom Petty released "Full Moon Fever" in '89 and "Into The Great Wide Open" in '91. Jeff Lynne co- produced Cloud 9(3x platinum) and Full Moon Fever( 5x platinum) both of which topped the charts. And let's not forget that The Heartbreakers toured with Dylan in '86 and '87. In addition to The Wilbury's album going 6x platinum and winning a grammy I would say no one in the band was teetering on the edge.[/quote']

I think the Wilburys music was far inferior than what any individual had done.

I think the Wilburys music was far inferior than what any individual had done.

Hehe my turn to disagree here. I really liked their first album. it was just a bunch of really talented musicians throwing down and having some fun. and it showed. was it the best music from each, probably not. But at that time and place, they caught a little bit of magic on tape. far inferiori s a bit of a stretch for me.

And as far as 'being relevant' what does that even mean? I have never understood when people say that. Does it mean that if you aren't in fashion there's no point releasing anything? Do you mean that since Roy was a product of the 50's he couldn't make good music? Why not just listen and decide if you like it. I mean, 'The Beatles' aren't 'relevant' but I'm not going to throw out all my albums.Not trying to be contrary, but I really don't understand what this means?

I wouldnt say it was below or inferior to what they did as individuals (which was very difficult to suppras by the way), I would say it was different.

Of course, I liked them better as individual artists (at least tom petty and bob dylan).

Archived