Gibson Brands Forums

New Guitar Day!!

daveinspain

Sort of... I just won a 1983 Gibson Corvus III on Ebay... Very cool weird guitar. The Guitar is mint, has three single coil pick ups and a 5 way toggle switch, like a strat... I'm going to pick it up when I go to Boston the end of this month.... I was GASing for one of these for a while....

Looks nasty' date=' in a good way. What finish is that?

Congrats Dave, as stated above, you are a lucky man[/quote']

The finish is called old gold on the one I bought.... On the pics that were posted on ebay it looks slightly greenish so I don't want to post any pics until I get some good photos....

Wild looking axe ya got there' date=' Dave!

Gratz! Gonna post a sound clip when you get her?[/quote']

You want me to embarrass myself... Ok maybe I willl....

I've never seen one of these in real life. Have you played one before Dave? Does it have a set neck or bolt-on?

Yes it does have a bolt on neck... There is one version that has a set neck and I was looking for that one but the one I got is in such good shape and you don't see them come up for sale that often that I went ahead and pulled the trigger... They make a one pick up, two pick up, and three pick up version of this guitar. The last incarnation before they discontinued the Corvus was a three pick up set neck. I have never played one of these but I've heard they play really well. When I get it in my hands I'll make a full report...

It's so different from my Les Pauls and SG but yet its still a Gibson...

You know, thats exactly why I would buy one of those, I dont mean no disrespect for the guys that own a gazilion les pauls, but I just dont see the points, I would gladly have 4 or 5 but then it would be boring.

The corvus (and other dscontinued gibson models) are a way to own something different WITH DIFERENT TONES that is still a kickass gibson.

Ugh, good for you Dave but that guitar makes me cringe, I have seen them in books and just don't do anything for me. This is right there with an 80's keytar for me.

Some of the 80's Gibsons i would be interested in are:

80sGibsons.jpg

It is unique. If nothing else' date=' it makes a good conversation piece. [/quote']

:- Yeah, maybe from a collector's standpoint it's pretty cool to have. I don't think I could gig with it or anything. That's the weirdest looking Gibson I've seen in a while. I dig it.

Congrats on the find' date=' must be nice to cruise Ebay buy a guitar and fly to Boston from Spain to pick it up. I have got to get a job like yours.... On a side note the only comment I have is how does that thing play sitting down? Is it comfortable? Looks as if it would be real comfortable and conform to your body better in a sitting position.[/quote']

Actually I was laid off two weeks ago.... I was going to Boston any way to visit my elderly mother, so I'm saving money having it sent to her house. When I return to Spain I'll just take it with me. I'll save about $150 in shipping.

The company that laid me off and had to pay me a nice severance package and I have 2 years of unemployment benefits if I need it... I'm taking the summer off.

Archived