Gibson Brands Forums

Selling my 335

Tim Plains

Firstly, I'm not using the forum to try and sell my ES...I'm just starting a thread.

I've decided to sell because she's never played. I've had it since the end of Nov. 2007 and have maybe played it for 5 hours...that's it.

I don't get it...sounds great, plays great, looks great...but for some reason, I don't want to play it. I always go back to my Les Pauls, sometimes the SGs come out, but 90% of the time I'm playing a Lester. Anybody else the same?

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/es/335BlockNeck/335BlockNeck.html

I don't get it...sounds great' date=' plays great, looks great...but for some reason, I don't want to play it. I always go back to my Les Pauls, sometimes the SGs come out, but 90% of the time I'm playing a Lester. Anybody else the same?[/quote']

I'm just the opposite, I've had an LP for over 30 years, and had an ES or two in the stable for nearly that long. My current "go to" guitar is my Historic ES-345, before that it was a '75 ES-335.

My problem is and has always been the fact that I'm a "one guitar" guy. Played an Ibanez as200 for 15 years, then decided to get an RI62 Strat. Started playing the Strat and got so attached to it I sold the AS200. Missed the AS200 so much I got an es335 Dot. Liked that so much I gave the Strat to my oldest son. Then I started missing the Strat, so I got an EJ Strat and put a set of Kinmans on it. Liked that so much I gave the DOT to my youngest son. Missed the DOT so I got 335 Block Inlay. Liked that so much I've stopped playing the Strat (but still have it). then I decided I'd like a jazz box, so I got an Ibanez Artcore AF105f. REALLY liked the jazz box, so I stopped playing the 335 (still have it). Decided to try a Gibby with a floating pickup so I got a Herb Ellis, and now am totally in love with that one. Don't play any of the others, but will make an effort to practice with them from time to time.

There is something seriously wrong with me. The wife keeps telling me that.

I like to change it up occasionally. But usually my "work-horse" guitar isn't a Gibson.

I grew up playing a '69 SG (it was 15 months old when I bought it from a friend in '70). Then in '82 a Carvin (had to sell the SG to buy the Carvin). Like lkmuller, I missed my "first love," and bought another late 60s SG. Didn't play it too much though, for some odd reason. That same year ('83, IIRC) another Gibson lover friend of mine suggested I try a Strat, which he had just discovered for himself. Reluctantly, I bought the cheapest new one I could - a Squire II Strat. I tried at least a dozen - black, red and white were th only colors available... Well, mine became "Franken-Strat!" I've modified the hell out of it over the years, and still reach for it or a Tele first (Tele is my fave of the two actually).

About 12 yrs ago, for kicks, I tried the "new" ES135 with w/ P-100s. Great guitar! Couldn't put it down! Bought that guitar, and forgot about all the others! Unfortunately, I had to sell it - the usual "hurting for cash" story, but couldn't part with the SG, and the Carvin was worth near zero used The Franken-Strat was obviously worthless, and the Tele wasn't anything special either... So, the 135 was sold, along with my brown '63 Fender Concert Amp and '67 Hofner 500/1 violin bass, to pay the rent, etc).

When things picked up again about 9-10 yrs ago, I got another ES135, the SE this time, with '57 PAF RI pups. That too is an outstanding guitar! And I get it out frequently. But it seems to go back in the case again for months at a time, while I grab my Tele or Franken-Strat to work out ideas and/or jam on a daily basis.

The only L.P. I've had was a RI Gold Top w/ Mini HBs in it. Nice sound! Like the neck pup so much I am putting one in my Tele! LOL! I did have an ES125 for a couple of years. It too was sweet. And another cash shortage took them both, and a couple of amps too. Lucky I had 'em to sell!

I would love to have a Herb Ellis, or an ES175! I also really like the looks and sounds of the SG with the "Custom" neck (bound neck and headstock w/ split diamond HdStk and block fret marker inlays, etc). I may "have to afford" one of those one day, if I can get enough cash together.

Like most of us, I'm a gear junky! I'm actually even worse with amplifiers!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've changed my mind. I've been playing this puppy more and more and decided to keep her. She's really starting to impress me. I guess I didn't really appreciate the semi-hollow-ness at first...really digging it now, though!

I think I'm at the point where I'd regret selling it now.

When you think about selling a guitar' date=' make a decision. Then sleep on it for at least six months![/quote']

Or longer! It would certainly prevent alot of the regret stories so many of us have had!

Hey TimA... An ES 339 might be more for you. Semi hollow but the size of a les Paul. I just bought one and with any luck I will have it tomorrow... I'll post my impressions and pics. The ES 339 will also fit in your guitar chest!

Yeah, I tried them, too. Don't get me wrong, they're incredible guitars, but I didn't go for one.

The purpose of a 339 is to produce a 335 tone in a Les Paul body sized guitar, correct?

Well, why not go for the real thing? That was my thinking.

Another thing with me if you've noticed, none of my guitars have dot necks.

Yeah, it's something completely insignificant, but, I don't like looking at dot inlays.

...and why buy a guitar when you know you won't like looking at it?

Archived