Gibson Brands Forums

Paul Reed who?

Gibson CS

I was in a nice jam session last night. Just a bunch of the boys having a blast.

A friend of a friend came to have fun with us.

Nice fella, and he brought his PRS with him.

Guys, although the PRS was a nice guitar, my LP was far and above a nicer

sounding guitar. More sustain, more cut with less mud. ( if that makes sense to you )

I even let him play through my gear. His guitar sounded like milk toast. Nothing

to go ga ga over.

Even when I held it, it didnt feel like a guitar should. To me it felt like holding

a Stratocaster.

As we all know here, when youre holding a Les Paul you have a serious axe in your

hands.

PRS make great guitars. They are well crafted, but pricey. He told me he paid close to $4000

for this lil gem.

Im sorry. Try as they may, you cant beat the sound and the feel of a Les Paul.

Do I get an Amen gentleman?

Smith. And while yes, my Lester(s) is far and away THE best guitar(s) I have/had, I did get an opportunity to play one of those PRS "soapbar" guitars, and I gotta tell ya, it was a pretty good sounding guitar, at least to my ears. Played like butter, felt pretty good, real nice dark red, and it was an SE no less. I personally think his stuff's a little pricey, but them SE imports are a lotta bang for the buck, but I suppose as with anything, you get yer share of duds. Oh yeah, I'll give you a conservative amen, cuz I agree Lesters are THE bomb, I got 2 of the best guitars I've ever owned (Gibson, Epiphone), and both are Les Pauls.

I had a few PRS's, but I think I admired the beauty of them over the playability. They are reamarkable guitars, and the craftmanship is stellar. Going back to Gibson some years ago, I almost forgot how much more enjoyable they are to play, and hence, the days of the PRS are well over for me. I wish I would've kept one Paul Reed at least, but I won't lose any sleep over it.

I love Les Pauls and I love my PRS Mira. It came set up perfectly and IMHO is a great $1500.00 guitar. It coil taps and can be very SG ISH with a choice of necks. I still love my Gibbys (R7 darkback especially) but the prices went up once again on all models and it is next to impossible to find good affordable used.

i think prs mas more marketing doing for them than anything else... most of todays "guitar heroes" (that dont play ****) use them... so you have lots of kids wanting to buy them (not wanting to go into the same old age thing, really).

i played a SE soapbar too and it sounded really good and looked nice... for a $400 guitar. It really sounded better and played better than a $400 epi... but i wouldnt go as far as comparing it to a gibson.

i happened to jam with an expensive prs owner (said it costed him over 3K) last year, and while i didnt have my gibson at the time, it did leave me with the impression that a 3K guitar should sound (and look) a lot better. At the time i thought it sounded 2 to 3 times better than my fender showmaster, and when i got my les paul standard faded, it sounded like, 1'000.000 times better than my showmaster, so where does that leave the 3k prs???

only a les paul sounds and plays like a les paul. that being said the 400 se soapbar fit and finish is miles ahead of a 400-1000 gibson, not knocking gibson as I have gibsons, fenders and a prs. The faded series guitars all have rough fret edges for 700-1000. and I love the cheap melody melody maker in concept but doesnt compare to a $350-400 mexican tele.

that being sad the epiphone slash lp was impressive in the 700 range.

the only thing good about a PRS is the way it hangs in a store

like a strat , the are the prettiest guitars when they are on the shelf

i cant stress it enough

the is nothing better then a les paul slung way low

=D

Nothing beats a Les Paul but I do have a handful of PRS guitars that are definitely more than eye-candy I have a older pre lawsuit Single-Cut with dragon pickups and hollow body that both sound pretty good. and I have one of the early McCarty soapbars and it's close to amazing.

have not picked up any in the last 4-5 years but would never rule them out even if there not Gibson's

The problem is that too many people compare PRS guitars to LPs. In the past it was Strats. They are different beasts. PRS makes some fine guitars. For the music I play I do not find them as tonally versatile as my LPs, but I don't dislike them. They are just a different tool for making music, like Gretsch and Rics.

Archived