Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Ferguson on Youtube....

onewilyfool

The man behind the sawdust! Soft-spoken with guitar building convictions.

On another note, I jumped to this video from the Ren one for what is claimed to be a 1964 J200. But this one has the pearl-filled bridge cutouts, which I believe were a Norlin innovation in the 70's..........yes?

But this one has the pearl-filled bridge cutouts' date=' which I believe were a Norlin innovation in the 70's..........yes?[/quote']

Nope. I'm not sure when they went to them but it was in the 60s sometime. Norlin gave us the Dove-esque J200 bridge from the early 70s to the early 80s.

I am proud to say, I have a Ren signed "authenticity" certificate for my Firebird guitar........

I know a lot of people actually know Ren, I think Anne and Rar have a few custom designed guitars by him, Guitarstrummer knows him, possibly others......how much actual hands on time does Ren spend on guitars now? He still does picguards, inlay, etc....design, carving, wood selection....but is the body and such built by the custom shop or the line? Thanks....

how much actual hands on time does Ren spend on guitars now? He still does picguards' date=' inlay, etc....design, carving, wood selection....[/quote']

When he can find the time. He has to put a lot of effort into running things, and a fair amount the stuff he does do is at home evenings and weekends in his shop. It's relatively rare to find him in the "Custom Shop" room for an extended period of time during normal working hours.

but is the body and such built by the custom shop or the line?

As a general rule' date=' on the line. He once told me that having him, say, bend a side doesn't make any sense. The best guy on the production line has bent thousands -- far more than he has (and far more than any custom builder has) -- and can do it better than he can. So, if you want the best guitar Gibson can build, you don't want him bending the sides. On the other hand, he has far more experience building with all hide glue than anyone else in the plant, so he does that on the all-hide-glue models. (Which is why those all-hide-glue-but-otherwise-stock AJs at Guitarsale.com a few years ago were so expensive. That required his time, he didn't especially want to do it, and so they quoted Guitarsale a Legend-level price -- but Guitarsale went for it. Knowing he's a hide glue fan, I asked him if he thought they were actually worth two-and-a-half times the price of the hide-glue-for-the-neck-joint-only models. He wouldn't quite come right out and say no, but it seemed clear that was what he thought.)

The way to get a guitar that Ren did most all of the important stuff that he does best at an affordable price is to buy a Legend. Despite all the *****ing about the price, they are are grossly underpriced compared to other guitars that he puts comparable time into. Pricing is all about supply and demand, and Ren's time is in [i']very[/i] short supply.

-- Bob R

speaking of Ren Ferunson...Any one familar with the 20th anniversary L00 model. Why is the legend L00 priced at more than $1000.00 difference. The 20th anniversary model is advertised with hide glue etc. does the legend have better wood? Should I save my money and buy the 20th anniversary?

Archived