Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's ABR-1 Bridge question

ledzep59

Hello All. I have a 1999 '59 reissue with the ABR-1 bridge with a wire on it. Whenever I change the strings, I usually take off the bridge and tailpiece to wipe the hardware and the guitar down a bit. The washers (or whatever they are) that move both sides of the bridge up and down are so incredibly sensitive that even if I use a duster to blow off the guitar, the washers still manage to move a little bit. The end result is that my bridge height changes ever so slightly every time I do a string change, which of course affects the guitar in other ways. What would be the best way to avoid this? Should I just measure the height every time before I change my strings? Thanks for any input.

There still comes a time when I must ... sand off the frets a bit.

Anyone else scared by that statement?

Maybe you should just be wiping off the strings before putting the guitar down each time you play.

Then again if you told me that there's Buffalo wing sauce building up on the fretboard, well that there would be perfectly understandable.

Maybe you should just be wiping off the strings before putting the guitar down each time you play.

I always wipe down the strings after playing. The fretboard needs to be cleaned and the frets sanded down a bit every blue moon, not every time you change strings. I looked up all the maintenance info on the Gibson website before doing it. I'm not trying to butcher my guitar.

Archived