Gibson Brands Forums

Tried a different pick lately ?

LeBudfrumHull_SG

Yesterday I misplaced my usual pick so I tried a new one .

I should of done it a long time ago ... all of a sudden the picking

was much clearer and the motion became more fluid.

Lately, I'm playing less rythm and working more on scales and arpeggios,

that should of been a tip off to try a different pick, since I was struggling

to get through some basic riffs & scales. (and getting pissed off.)

But all is good now.

FYI - I went from a Dunlop medium plastic pick to a Dunlop Tortex .6 mm

Anyone else have similar experiences ?

Good thought. I've used a Dunlop .46mm for many years, and always wondered how anyone could use a medium and play fast. I suppose their secret is to play with just the bare tip of the pick.

But a heavier one has an advantage, I can hear.

For fun, I bought a wooden pick (world's hardest wood, maybe?). It was ten bucks and thick as a quarter. It's interesting. You can't hear it hit the strings, but again, it seems clumsy to me.

For years I played with a .38 Clayton Triangle and thought a thin pick was the best way to get fast notes.

Over a period of a couple of years after reading an article about what the pros use (Mostly Heavy) I decided to increase pick thickness.

I went to .50 Clayton and then .68 (I think).

After I got used to the thicker picks, I then went from Delrin material to just plane old Fender and Gibson Mediums.

Fender Medium Celluloid Picks are now my prefered pick.

They are plenty stiff and can be played fast. I just wish they had better grip sometimes.

Years ago I ran into a friend (now my brother-in-law) in a resturaunt. He tossed me a pick that had just come on the market, the Tortex. It was .73 yellow. I have used them ever since, but have moved up to the .88 greens.

Plus they taste a lot better than the celluloid.

As far as speed goes (and I'm NOT a speed demon), I think you'll find that the angle of attack is more important than the flex properties of the pick. Using the edge of the pick versus the face will help in speed, clarity and tone. It's not so much how much of the pick hits the string, it's how the pick move across the string. Using the edge makes the pick "roll" down the string (around it's curve) and right on to the next note, and the opposite edges will be in the same position for either and up stroke or down stroke.

For fun' date=' I bought a wooden pick (world's hardest wood, maybe?). It was ten bucks and thick as a quarter. It's interesting. You can't hear it hit the strings, but again, it seems clumsy to me.[/quote']

Should have saved yourself $9.75 and just used the quarter O:)

About two months ago I bought one of those "mojo" picks off ebay which are pre-1965 (because of silver %) quarters tapered and fashioned into guitar picks. I know the metal-on-metal sound isn't for everyone, but I love it. Artists like Billy Gibbons and Brian May have been known for using coins as picks, so if you are chasing either of those sounds, a mojo pick might help. The only time it sounds strange is when I am attacking around or above the 12th fret on the 1st/2nd string the fast motion of the pick is sort of shrill. Also very good grip, I don't think I've ever dropped it or lost control as easily as I would with a plastic pick. Either way, it is the only pick I have been using since I purchased it and I am very pleased. For me, it was an easy transition but I have been playing for a while and never really settled on a specific pick. Even if you don't play with it, it is still really cool- mine is a quarter from 1899! Here is a link to one that's exactly like mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1899-Genuine-MOJO-Silver-VINTAGE-Antique-Guitar-Pick_W0QQitemZ370261645012QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item56355056d4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_6810wt_1167

Yesterday I misplaced my usual pick so I tried a new one .

I should of done it a long time ago ... all of a sudden the picking

was much clearer and the motion became more fluid.

Lately' date=' I'm playing less rythm and working more on scales and arpeggios,

that should of been a tip off to try a different pick, since I was struggling

to get through some basic riffs & scales. (and getting pissed off.)

But all is good now.

FYI - I went from a Dunlop medium plastic pick to a Dunlop Tortex .6 mm

Anyone else have similar experiences ?[/quote']

Great thread.....

Archived