Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks

gizeh68

Anyone use Schaller strap locks? Notice how their screws are smaller than the stock strap screws? both in thread count and in diameter.

Some once told me all I have to do is shove a toothpick into the hole in the guitar, along with some wood glue and screw it back in. Is that advisable?

That should work but I wouldn't do it unless it was absolutely necessary. Check out NeoConMans guide to Schaller straplock installation.

(search his name and hit his webpage in the bottom of his signature.)

Or you could also try to search "schaller" or "strap locks" or something and get the full coverage of a returning topic... [-X

People have been doing the toothpick trick for years with no problem. I asked a luthier about it but he advised against it. Reason being, the toothpicks can compress over time and the screw may come out one day. Mind you, someone will probably come along and say they've had toothpicks in their guitar for 20+ years with no problems. He recommended filling the holes with hard wood and glue. That's what I did to all my guitars. He also said dowels are a bad idea but I didn't ask why.

Just one man's opinion, I suppose but I listened to him.

He's been credited as being the only luthier in S. Ontario to take your guitars to.

yeah i got schallers on my classic. the top button is fine but the bottom one is kinda loose. the screw doesn't hold it completely down and allows the button to rotate. but the screw is stuck in there and i've never had any problems with it....

In summary:There are a million ways to keep your strap on your guitar' date=' the best of which are schallers.[/quote']

Ahhh... the voice of experience! I suppose you have owned many sets of these and have tried other locking systems as well, right?

To the OP... The Schallers are ubiquitous around here and are highly recommended by many knowledgeable posters. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I actually like the Dunlop Dual Design better myself and have those on almost all of my guitars. There are some cheap plastic things that some posters have recommended highly also. You might try a search of the forum.

I suppose you have owned many sets of these and have tried other locking systems as well' date=' right?[/quote']

I have, and I still look at what other people use to see if there's anything to learn.

Never stop learning, eh Teach?

Good stuff out there, across the spectrum.

Schaller is my first choice still.

Ahhh... the voice of experience! I suppose you have owned many sets of these and have tried other locking systems as well' date=' right?[/quote']

nope but, I was taking that as the general consensus from the thread.

disagree if you want.

I have' date=' and I still look at what other people use to see if there's anything to learn.

Never stop learning, eh Teach?

Good stuff out there, across the spectrum.

Schaller is my first choice still.[/quote']

Yep. I started with a metal washer and a long screw. My 80s guitars were not coming off!

I think Schaller builds a great strap-lock. I just like the Dunlop mechanism better. It seems to move (or not move perhaps) the same natural way a non-straplocked strap moves. The Schaller set always felt funny to me if I moved the guitar around (which I do).

As I said many posters here have much experience with Schallers and love them. I'm cool with that. However, I think others assume that because Schallers are the most popular here they are the only way to go. I say try a few if you can and choose what you prefer.

I already disagreed - based on my actual experience with the items mentioned.

alright.

and I'm sorry for my lack of experience but again: I said IN SUMMARY I wasnt taking it from my experience I was summing up what many of these posts said.

I wasnt taking it from my experience I was summing up what many of these posts said.

And why was that necessary? Could the OP not read the posts? Did he need you to summarize based on what you had read here? What did your post add to the actual information in the thread? If you have no experience with the item in question (and/or perhaps it's competitors), why are you offering an opinion?

And why was that necessary? Could the OP not read the posts? Did he need you to summarize based on what you had read here? What did your post add to the actual information in the thread? If you have no experience with the item in question (and/or perhaps it's competitors)' date=' why are you offering an opinion?

[/quote']

fair enough....

Archived