Gibson Brands Forums

Chicago doesn't get Olympics

Silenced Fred

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes.

Dom, I'm just bustin' yer chops for kicks (shoulda put one of :D/ in there) but it's the truth.

EVERYBODY who loves that sh!t and votes for it doesn't actually pay for it.

That comes from ME and I don't get to enjoy any of that stuff.

Besides, they're no longer amateur athletes in many of the events.

When you make $100,000 a year and get to take home half of it, you'll thank me for this.

I'm not kidding.

Uncle Sam makes more money from ME than I do.

And where do you think that Olympic bullsh!t gets paid from?

Uncle Sam.

Next time you have $100 to spend, light $50 of it on fire and watch it burn in an ashtray.

It's actually less wasteful that way...

Be cool Kid.

Hah!

Nice fantasy I suppose but... :-

I don't eat Twinkies [-(

When shooting' date=' I watch everything. :-k

[b']3.[/b]

I take shots only when they pay off or when absolutely necessary. Saves lotsa ammo and hones skills.

:D/

Take a deep breath then shoot!

If you're ever in the Sonoran Desert west of Phoenix and you wanna inject some lead into the side of a mountain, just let me know. I can give you a few pointers on safe and effective firearms use and keeping the desert clean.

Maybe even make a marksman out of you.

:-/

If you're ever in the Sonoran Desert west of Phoenix and you wanna inject some lead into the side of a mountain' date=' just let me know. I can give you a few pointers on safe and effective firearms use and keeping the desert clean.

Maybe even make a marksman out of you.

:-/

[/quote']

Deal.

I used to love the Olympics. I still do in a way, just not as much. Some of the sports included nowadays are just dumb. It seems as if they've added just about every stupid *** sport that no one ever gives a **** about into the Olympics just so that they'll have at least one competition every 4 years that anyone notices. Other sports have become useless as well, due to corruption and bizarre rules that even the competitors themselves doesn't understand any more.

Also, the whole thing has gotten way too big. I don't think any of the recent Olympics have broken even, and to be honest I don't see how they ever could with the way things are going. It's a too large operation to build all the arenas, housing and everything. Scale it down so that it could for the most part be hosted in facilities that are already present. Or, stop having it in certain cities and spread the sports out in a couple of cities or a country. That way more nations could work around a way to host it as well.

But can you say' date=' honestly, that it would be in the best interest of a country with economic problems, to go out and spend a ton of money rebuilding and accomodating for an event that will happen once?

The "Olympic Village" they were gonna build, what was gonna happen to it?

The billions of dollars spent would be for nought, most would be gained back, but why?

Just saying, I like the Olympics too, but I don't think it would be right in Chicago

[/quote']

I don't think that hosting the Olympic games ever really is a money-maker for the host country. I've read that there's usually a short-term boost in foreign trade for the host, but I imagine this would be negligible for the U.S. compared to what it might be for Brazil.

I'm small-town born and bred. On business and/or pleasure-related trips, I've been to NYC, Boston, Baltimore, Atlanta, OKC, Dallas, Houston, Detroit, Denver, Minneapolis/Saint Paul, Vegas, San Diego, LA, San Fran, and I don't know where else. I've been to Chicago three or four times. Chicago is my favorite of the bunch by far. But I don't know if Chicago would really benefit long-term by hosting the Olympics.

...and, for you baseball fans, CUBS IN 2010!

Yes.

Dom' date=' I'm just bustin' yer chops for kicks (shoulda put one of =D>/ in there) but it's the truth.

EVERYBODY who loves that sh!t and votes for it doesn't actually [i']pay[/i] for it.

That comes from ME and I don't get to enjoy any of that stuff.

Besides, they're no longer amateur athletes in many of the events.

When you make $100,000 a year and get to take home half of it, you'll thank me for this.

I'm not kidding.

Uncle Sam makes more money from ME than I do.

And where do you think that Olympic bullsh!t gets paid from?

Uncle Sam.

Next time you have $100 to spend, light $50 of it on fire and watch it burn in an ashtray.

It's actually less wasteful that way...

Be cool Kid.

Best post of the day... Couldn't have said it better.

Ask the citizens of Vancouver what they are putting out for the next winter Olympics. Everyone I've spoken with is ticked...

Most of the athletes, anymore, are pros. No way the public should be expected to foot their bill.

If Chicago could secure a deal with the Olympic committee where they'd host the Olympics for the next 50 years, that would probably pay for itself. Ask Atlanta what kind of deficiet they suffered from hosting... It's notoriety, sure, but having your name on people's lips for a month does not pay the cost of the bills incurred.

I have no idea how Rio will pay for the upgrades and infrastructure required. Neither do I understand how RSA will will pay for the World Cup next year. But I suspect the World Bank, who the U.S. one of the primary sponsors, will be heavily involved.

When figuring all the taxes paid, I bring home about .36 on the 1.00. I'll be damned if I want more of it going to some spectacle that doesn't really contribute any long term gains to anyone. I'm ticked about the massive amount I'm already paying for stuff that doesn't matter.

BoSox in '09. Cubs in '10.

After Beckett getting lit up the last couple of outings (including today by the Indians 4 runs in 5IP), I really don't think this is the BoSox year. They have to travel however far they go in the postseason, and right now, they have a losing record on the road. For the AL, I really think it's either the Yanks or Angels. For the NL, it's gotta be the Cards or Phillies.

Which really stinks, because the M's are 3rd place in the AL West, but will probably end up with a better record than the winner of the AL Central.

Cubs in '10.

As I lifelong Cubs fan, I have to say :D/ but =D>

The Cubs have found a way to consistently disappoint no matter what is going on, I still love 'em but it gets frustrating, I guess it is preparing me for life....

And Mick, creating jobs and money would be great, but a giant bump and then a giant fall would occur, could you say that it would be best for the country?

And being patriotic is supporting your team in the Olympics, it is wanting what is best for your country, and in my opinion, as well as a few others, it isn't.

The Olympics in the US would cause more of a problem than it would cause good.

No hard feelings, but I disagree vehemently with you

After Beckett getting lit up the last couple of outings (including today by the Indians 4 runs in 5IP)' date=' I really don't think this is the BoSox year. They have to travel however far they go in the postseason, and right now, they have a losing record on the road. For the AL, I really think it's either the Yanks or Angels. For the NL, it's gotta be the Cards or Phillies.

Which really stinks, because the M's are 3rd place in the AL West, but will probably end up with a better record than the winner of the AL Central.[/quote']

I agree; regardless of who wins the Central, the Yanks or Angels have to be the favorite, but I'll root for Boston. I like the Cards to win the NL.

Actually, I'm a (long suffering) Rangers fan, but they haven't seen the post season in a long time. I think the Rangers front office is planning on a champagne celebration in the locker room after the game tomorrow just for finishing over .500.

Actually' date=' I'm a (long suffering) Rangers fan, but they haven't seen the post season in a long time. I think the Rangers front office is planning on a champagne celebration in the locker room after the game tomorrow just for finishing over .500.[/quote']

Not with Nolan Ryan at the helm. He won't be satisfied, or happy, until the ultimate is achieved...

Did you know, since the free-agency era, only the Mariners, Rangers, Cubs and Astros have not played in the World Series? And, of those, the M's and Cubs are tied for the best single season win record? Granted, for the M's, it was 2001, for the Cubs, about 80-90 years earlier....

Wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to see the Rangers play the Astros in an All-Texas World Series. But, as great as Ichiro and Junior have been, I was hoping they'd get their day in the sun, too...

Archived