Gibson Brands Forums

I found a Hummingbird with someone's name on the fretboard

TheSpiritRoom

Funny - Jim's guitar surfaced way back in early 2003 on the Les Paul Forum,

"Rupert" found it on-line and was wondering about replacing the fretboard.....

Poor ol' Jimmy Butner is no more famous now than he was then, like so many of us.

My money is on Jim Butner of "Jim Butner Auto Sales" - you remember them,

they used Elvis in their adverts and ran (and still run) out of Clarksville, Illinois.

Jim's son, Bo Butner, and Bo's friend Jeff Taylor's Comp Eliminator team were using

a hearse a while back as their tow vehicle, a white '86 Pontiac Parisienne with the slogans:-

"The Last Ride You'll Ever Need" and

"Jim Butner ... Since 1955 ... Even When Elvis Was Alive" along with a picture of Elvis.

elvis_01.jpg

Perhaps the guitar connection comes in there, though I thought Elvis favoured the J-200 and Dove.

Anyone remember my post (prior to the crash) about "Angie" .... the inlayed name in the J45 I saw selling for $1000 used at the local Guitar Center? Since it is close to my office, I went back several times over the next 3 weeks and picked up "Angie" every time I went in the acoustic room. She had a very sweet sound, was an amazing price for such a sweet sounding J45. If I had ANY spare money, I would have grabbed her and learned the Beatles tune pronto, but alas, someone else with the $$$ in their pocket and the forsight to see through the name on the fret board, walked away with my "Angie" leaving an empty spot in my heart for one of the best sounding J45's I have played in a long time.............

Anyone remember my post (prior to the crash) about "Angie" .... the inlayed name in the J45 I saw selling for $1000 used at the local Guitar Center? Since it is close to my office' date=' I went back several times over the next 3 weeks and picked up "Angie" every time I went in the acoustic room. She had a very sweet sound, was an amazing price for such a sweet sounding J45. If I had ANY spare money, I would have grabbed her and learned the Beatles tune pronto, but alas, someone else with the $$$ in their pocket and the forsight to see through the name on the fret board, walked away with my "Angie" leaving an empty spot in my heart for one of the best sounding J45's I have played in a long time.............

[/quote']

Wasn't it a Rolling Stones song?

Archived