Gibson Brands Forums

Wanting New Flame Top how?

DreaMusik

I just bought a GLP Standard but I want another flame top color put on it. Who can do this? Looking

for someone or a company that can do this professionally. Just like coming from the Gibson factory.

Any contact info, testimonies is appreciated!

Thanks

Well, I am not sure how it all works but if the luthier stripped mine down and applied the same color as the photo linked above would it come even close or would it look bad. I mean how does gibson determine what they shoot the guitar finish. I mean I understand that it may not be exactly like the photo above but I am sure it would be similar or no?

DreaMusik, I'm not sure if you're confused or if you're confusing everyone else.

You posted a picture of a Les Paul. Those lines on the top aren't the colour, that's in the wood and it's called flame. I'm assuming you knew that.

The finish is the orange paint around the edges. You can paint yours orange like that but you can't paint flame.

Ok the tiger striped lines that I am seeing on the guitar that I own will always be placed where they are what you are saying is flame. Ok I got that. Now, if I sent this guitar back to gibson repair or found someone that is experienced in strippin it down sanding it etc... then shoot it the orange color from the first link I posted then it would come out looking the same way it does now only a different color but those lines (flame) will still be identical to what it is now. Same placement etc.. Really, to get to the bottom of it heres the deal. There is a small nick on the top of the body very small and I want it fixed. I know most of you would say just leave it but the fact is I spent 2600 usd on this and I am just a perfectionist and I want it fixed. I dont want to have a band aid fix and the only way this can be done is if the guitar was totally stripped, re-sanded then painted and buffed. So if I am going to do that then I was thinking with going with another color or would I be better off staying with the original color as bought. I just like that orange color look from the first link I posted only the flamed lines wouldn't be the same but they would still be present on the guitar. But maybe the tea color is the best way for the selection of wood my LP is . So really the deal is I want the nick taken out and then it is just a matter of color. Thoughts?

Thanks

You've got the right idea.

I don't know how much damage you have, but it's very possible it can be fixed, and you'd never know the difference. It will be unbelievably cheaper than having it completely refinished.

If you're set on refinishing, though, I recommend blue. I'm a fan of blue flame-top Les Pauls. Put some chrome hardware on it afterwards.

Virtuoso instrument cleaner really brought out the grain in my Faded tobacco burst. Of course the fadeds have less nitro, so I don't know if that is a factor. However, it might be a good idea to try it before you sell or refinish.

Here are the before, after, and one year later pics.

Before

CIMG9576.jpg

Immediately after Virtuoso cleaner and polish

CIMG9578.jpg

One year later - have not applied any more polish

CIMG0520.jpg

If your a perfectionist you might as well just get another guitar that is exactly what you want because I

doubt you will ever be content with what you have now. You could waste a lot of money and get a worse result.

After seeing pics of this beautiful guitar' date=' I believe

a crime is about to be committed... I'll have NO part in it.

[/quote']

No thats what he wants it to look like. His guitar is in the second link lower down.

If your a perfectionist you might as well just get another guitar that is exactly what you want because I

doubt you will ever be content with what you have now. You could waste a lot of money and get a worse result.

DreaMusik, Blackie is 100% RIGHT ON the mark.

I love the guitar that I have. Its the blemish or nick in the body that I want removed. I am just wondering whats the best course

of action to take to get the guitar back to its original state as it was walking out of the store with it. As far as color if that is such a

big deal then I can live with the original color it was when I bought it. I just don't see how with the technology at our disposal it can

be to have a blemish or nick taken out the guitar repainted and buffed WTF is the big deal! I am just wondering where or who I can turn to

to make this happen.

Thanks

I love the guitar that I have. Its the blemish or nick in the body that I want removed. I am just wondering whats the best course

of action to take to get the guitar back to its original state as it was walking out of the store with it. As far as color if that is such a

big deal then I can live with the original color it was when I bought it. I just don't see how with the technology at our disposal it can

be to have a blemish or nick taken out the guitar repainted and buffed WTF is the big deal! I am just wondering where or who I can turn to

to make this happen.

Thanks

Speak with Gibson customer service and they can repair the nick for you, you will never be able to tell there was ever a nick. Having it refinished would cost half of what you paid for the guitar. If you still want to have it refinished, speak with Gibson customer service.

My mistake... thanks.

No problem.

But to the original poster, are you serious???

You want to have a perfectly good guitar refinished for a nick? Dude, please, there will be more of those...

Imagine, if you will, you bring your guitar home, you just had it refinished, you paid between half and quarter the price of the guitar to have it refinished.

Then, you knock it hard against something. A new thing, but worse, a dent in the wood.

Are you going to refinish it everytime?

And, by the way, Jimmy Page's original guitar, that he bought from Joe Walsh, was refinished by Joe, and when it came back, people say he sold it becacuse he didn't like how it sounded, the sound changed.

Take all that in to consideration before you jump up to refinish, a perfectly fine guitar, that has a small blemish, perfectionist or not.

YOU CANNOT STOP IT GETTING KNOCKED AROUND! unless you put it in a glass case and leave it there.

Please, a little nick is not the end of the world or of the guitar, and is most certainly not a reason to refinish your guitar.

Archived