Gibson Brands Forums

Darwin - Cell phone stupidity kills

NeoConMan

Woman Struck, Killed By Train In Delaware

Newark Police said a woman was struck and killed by a train near the University of Delaware campus Monday morning.

Witnesses said the victim, a 25-year-old waitress at the Eagle Diner, was hit by a CSX freight train on the 100 block of Elkton Road just before 8:30 a.m.

Co-workers said the victim normally works the night-shift, but came to the diner for breakfast. After eating, co-workers said she decided to go to a nearby friend's house.

Witnesses reported the victim was distracted by a cell phone conversation when she was struck by the train.

"We're looking to see if she was distracted for some reason by a cell phone or iPod," said Newark Police Lt. Brian Henry, "iPods are a common occurrence, so people need to be aware of their surroundings."

The victim's identity is being withheld pending the notification of her next of kin.

The intersection of West Main Street and New London Road was closed while the scene was cleared. The train has since been moved from the scene.

Police are continuing their investigation of the tragic incident.

At least it was herself and not somebody else...

I like having a phone, but you've gotta be careful with 'em. In Washington, it's illegal to talk on your cell phone while driving. I think it's a great idea, and I avoid doing so whenever I can. But it dumbfounds me that people were in an uproar the year before when they outlawed TEXTING and driving. What's so important that you have to text and drive? "IM TXTNG ND DRVNG LOLS," ****ing idiots.

Archived