Gibson Brands Forums

why Why WHY?

jaxson50

My SJ200,when new, sounded at it's best with a new set on it. After 6yrs of playing in,however, it now sounds brash with a fresh set, and amazing after half an hour of playing. I'm not sure why!

My Hummingbird and Guild both sound fabulous with new strings, though, and gradually go off the boil as the wires age.

Maybe it's a new (ish) guitar thing.

I am with you to some extent.... I love changing strings, but don't "Love" the sound until about a day or two later depending on how much I play. Right off the bat, they tend to sound too new for my taste, but give them a couple days and I am in tone heaven. I pretty much stick with Elixir Phospher Bronze Nano's because after that first day or two, they sound great for the next 2-3 months before I need to change again.

I hate the sound of new strings on my J-45. Bright, tinny, and kinda shrill. Some people like that tone. I don't. On the other hand I like the new string sound on my Seagull. Not sure why. On the J-45 after playing a couple hours they sound fantastic. I just hate having to suffer through the breaking in stage.

Archived