Gibson Brands Forums

Your top ten guitar solos...ever.

Jayson

Would take too long to think of ten so I'll give you a few

- Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore (Sonic Youth): Sugar Kane. The non-radio edit album version. It's 16 bars of dual sonic assault.

- David Gilmour: Echoes part I from Live at Pompeii. Killer note selection with grand bends and the Fuzzface mixed with the Binson Echorecs takes me away to magical places.

- Robbie Robertson: Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues from the Bob Dylan Royal Albert Hall bootleg. Kind of loosy-goosy playing, but IMO it's some of his lead work.

- John Frusciante: I Could Have Lied from BloodSugarSexMagik. A little sloppy on the time, but between the fuzzy tone and raw emotion, this has the flavor of some of my favorite David Gilmour leads.

- Eric Clapton: Ain't Got You by the Yardbirds. Les Paul through a cranked amp. It's raw, it's dirty, and it's the antithesis of the finesse, pop blues player Clapton is today.

- Pete Cosey: Hoochie Coochie Man, Electric Mud. That guy just tears it up.

2. Impossible Germany (Live' date=' Ashes of American Flags DVD), by Wilco (2:46-5:47)

[/quote']

Hell yes! Nels Cline and his Jazzmaster. Enough said.

Ten makes my brain hurt. How about one... (at 2:56 for you impatient types).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbIIwH9VsjM[/YOUTUBE]

(this actually isn't my 1st post..got caught up in the crash so reinvented myself)

Many years back a friend gave me a little box of cassettes. They were all these bootleg things. Most sounded bad but it was all "new" old stuff to me. Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young concerts from the early 70s'. Neil Young concerts. The Who concerts from back then. Mid 70s Jackson Browne concerts (rated X?) where he was playing and talking about Lowell Georges' 1/2 written at that time song- Long Distance Love. Little Feat concerts with Lowell. ( in between songs, Lowell was telling a story of meeting Howling Wolf and asking Mr. Wolf if he would just touch his guitar and maybe play a few notes on it and Howling Wolf looked up at Lowell and said "f#*& off kid") There was a tape of Steely Dan in the studio. At one point they were working on "Rikki" and they were doing that solo. The solo was probably never used, but the second whoever it was playing finished, everyone stopped and were all going - "damn that was great, holy crap man wow!!"

One of These Nights - Eagles

Aqualung - Jethro Tull

Two of my ABSOLUTE favorites that I completely, totally forgot about.

FUN FACT ABOUT THE AQUALUNG SOLO- There's a little pause towards the beginning that has a lot of flavor, but if you're listening for it, it DOES sound pretty out of pattern. This is because during the recording of that particular take of the solo, Jimmy Page walked into the recording studio to observe, and Martin Barre paused to wave to him. They recorded a lot of different takes, but in the end, they just happened to end up using that one.

1. Vinnie Moore - Shadows Of Yesterday

2. Richie Kotzen - Unsafe At Any Speed

3. ZZ Top - Asleep In The Desert

4. Rainbow - Gates Of Babylon

5. Al Di Meola - Midnight Tango

6. Rory Gallagher - I'm Not Awake Yet

7. Deep Purple - Child In Time

8. Steve Vai - Call It Sleep

9. Jason Becker - Eleven Blue Egyptians

10. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

(had to leave out Yngwie J. Malmsteen's Rising Force - Black Star, Hawaii - The Pit And The Pendulum, Marty Friedman - Valley Of Eternity and some more of Vinnie's stuff)

Karen...

Yupper... Alberta's colder than here. Only -11C over the weekend. Still was argy, especially for the kids who played football last Friday. Add the flu and the local team here that traveled to Rapid City was only about half varsity and half JV. What a way for the younger kids to get experience on the field. <grin>

I doubt the NWT would be warmer. Heck, I'm not sure it's that much warmer here.

But... I don't think Doc Watson ever played anything poorly.

BTW all, Amos Garrett played the guitar bridge on Maria Muldaur's "Midnight at the Oasis." Born in 1941, his birthday's coming up in November. Karen - you may have met or seen him since he's Canadian and the "Canadian content" laws for music and stuff up there. Earlier he'd played with Maria's ex, Geoff M., who was once relatively well known as a blues singer - likely still is in some quarters.

m

10. "Stand By Me" Live in Philadelphia - The Edge

9. "Yellow Ledbetter" - Mike McCready

8. "Cryin' Waitin' Hopin'" - Buddy Holly

7. "Crazy Train" After Hours - Randy Rhoads

6. "Rude Mood" - Stevie Ray Vaughan

5. "Sultans of Swing" - Mark Knopfler

4. "Eruption" - Eddie Van Halen

3. "Throw Away Your Televison" live at Slane Castle - John Frusciante

2. "Hey Joe" - Jimi Hendrix

1. "Maggot Brain" - Eddie Hazel

Just ones I like I dont have a top ten.

Further on up the Road- The Band and Eric Clapton

Say What!- SRV

Rude Mood- SRV

Johnny B. Goode- Chuck Berre

No One to Depend on - Santana

Swalbr- Cream

Star Spangled Baner - Jimi Hendrix (woodstock)

Bold as Love- Jimi Hendrix

Little Wing- both SRV and Jimi Hendrix's versions

Soul Refreshing- Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Going in the Right Direction- Robert Randolph and the Family Band

Huricane- Neil young

Mr. High and Mighty- Gov't mule

Theme for an Imaginary Western- Mountain

25 or 6 to 4- Chicago

Time- Pink Floyd

Bodhisattva- Steely Dan

Blinded by the Light- Manfred Mann's Earth Band

Turn to Stone- Joe Walsh

Heard it thru the Grapevine- John Fogerty

One of these Nights- Eagles

OK I now I'll get some grief but here goes.

Skynard - Freebird

Eagles - Hotel California

Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides

SteelyDan- My Old School

Arosmith - Train Kept a rollin

Led Zep - Stairway to Heaven

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Skynard - I Now a Little

Tommy Bolan - Post Toastie

ZZTop - Apologies to Pearly

I'm not gonna try to post 10 vids...

But this should get the point across.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGzNoCNfMlA[/YOUTUBE]

Great song! Great piano solo' date=' great guitar solo. I forgot to mention that.

[YOUTUBE']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhU9XQW86I][/YOUTUBE] (Not really a solo but improvised melody. I HAD to post it.)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] (Dare you to listen to that!

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] (Dare you to listen to that)

Archived