Gibson Brands Forums

Who should Gibson name in their next Signature series?

DPhillips

Lot's of debate about Buckethead or Zack Wylde getting a Signature series guitar. Who do you think is deserving or should be next?

I admit, I'm late to this whole signature series thing and don't know exactly who all Gibson has sold their names....

Randy Rhodes?

Carlos Santana?

Neil Young?

Don Felder?

Neil Schon?

Lot's of debate about Buckethead or Zack Wylde getting a Signature series guitar. Who do you think is deserving or should be next?

Well they're both getting them, not much to debate really.

I think Stone Gossard should be next.

Well they're both getting them' date=' not much to debate really.

I think Stone Gossard should be next.[/quote']

No debate, please don't get me wrong. Whatever Gibson chooses is what they choose. But as fans of the artists and the BRAND and manufacturer, whether LP's, 335's, Explorers, V's, L5's, Citations, J-45, J200's or whatever, who would YOU like to see get a Signature series that hasn't been afforded that opportunity yet?

Honestly, I think most of my guitar influences have been covered. Guys like Gibbons, Page, Clapton (though not sure if his 335 or Firebird have been issued), Rossington, Collins, Allman (?), Robert Johnson, BB King, etc...

I would like to see Gibson release a Townes Van Zant J-200 acoustic or Steve Earle J-100 acoustic (with the skull and crossbones). Honestly, can't say I'd buy one, but I think those guys are deserving.

I do own a J-200, because I was so influenced by Townes, Steve Earle, Emylou Harris, Mark Collie, etc... I bought a LP because of Gary Rossington.... My Firebird because of Allen Collins and the fact that I played it and loved the sound. And am looking for a new LP (traded my old one for the Firebird and amp) because of Page and Gibbons...

Who, that hasn't had one dedicated to their signature yet, would you like to see?

I'd love to see a Neil Young Black Beauty. One of the most recognizable guitars in all of rock history. I'd also like to see a Felder or Santana.

Yes' date=' but do you think that PRS would let him have a Gibson signature? I am sure that there are contractual obligations.

[/quote']

Honestly, I don't know, and really don't care. If the guy is famous because of the music he created and tone he played on Gibson guitars, then it really is irrevelant. This isn't a PRS forum.... (Edited by Mod)

Honestly' date=' I don't know, and really don't care. If the guy is famous because of the music he created and tone he played on Gibson guitars, then it really is irrevelant. This isn't a PRS forum.... [/quote']

Thats not my point. He belongs to PRS and they own his signature. Gibson cant use his name. But this i a thread about who you would like to see have a Gibson signatue. Yes I would like to see it happen but it's not going to.

Thats not my point. He belongs to PRS and they own his signature. Gibson cant use his name. But this i a thread about who you would like to see have a Gibson signatue. Yes I would like to see it happen but it's not going to.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize PRS had him under contractual obligations where he couldn't lend his status elsewhere. Thanks...

To everyone else, I apologize, I've never been edited by any forum anywhere (and have been a mod in other forums).

I do think Carlos made his name while playing Gibsons and it is a very childish thing for PRS to do, since they are just capitalizing on a name created by another...

Bullspit in other words, not so kindly...

Read the story behind the creation of Paul Reed Smith guitars.

Santana was integral to their survival early on.

Been 25 years now.

Later, he managed to get the ear of Ted McCarty - long since retired from Gibson.

One of the quotes Smith has, he was learning a MOUNTAIN of stuff about the development of the Gibson electric line and had many extended conversations that eventually turned into paid consultation.

When he asked McCarty why he never told anybody about that stuff, McCarty replied "Nobody ever asked!"

Smith is not the devil, and he's not simply trading on luck and trademark infringement.

And Axe, that's Jerry Cantrell?

Never saw him live, didn't know he even used a LP.

Good stuff though, whatever he's used.

Thanks for the info Neo. Muchly appreciated. Never thought PRS was the devil, but Carlos did create his trademark sound on Gibby's...

Just so everyone knows, I did not mean to dismiss guitarest's input or anything. Just think that Carlos should be able to endorse Gibson if asked, especially if that tone helped make him who he is. It wasn't him I was disagreeing with, just the marketing ideology. My apologies, to everyone, especially Guitarest.

Back to topic, though, how about a Page J-200?

There is a Gibson Randy Rhoads signature guitar coming out! :)

Of course it will be great to keep Randy's name alive, but on the cynical side Randy's Les Paul was just an early 70's Custom. The only special thing he had done to it were change the knobs. It is more of a Tribute guitar really and not a signature like say Zakk's Bullseye is, with stripped neck and EMG's and personal graphics etc.

Jus sayin (LOL)

Matt

Yes' date=' but do you think that PRS would let him have a Gibson signature? I am sure that there are contractual obligations.

[/quote']

Actually, if you're a full endorsed artist you can lose your endorsement, and in Santana's case, it would be a breach of contract. Years ago I read that Mike Einziger of Incubus (who had been using nothing but PRS from their early ep's pre-signing till 2003) lost his full endorsement because he used some Fenders live. Since it was early in the show too, he was photographed using nothing but Fender's as well (generally photographers are only allowed to shoot the first 2-3 songs max of a band), which caused him to lose his endorsement as he was in ads.

Yeah, a local band here called Roger Clyne and The Peacemakers have a Fender deal.

Talked to them at length (Steve Larson anyway) and they weren't real happy with the restrictions.

Fender, Guild and Gretsch.

Larson would break a string and then his roadie would hand him his beloved LP Custom with a Bigsby.

Has Gibson done a Nugent Byrdland?

No, and it's criminal on Gibson's part.

Of course, the price would be breath-taking I'm sure - Byrdlands are already expensive as hell.

Archived