Gibson Brands Forums

The other guitar

EADGBE

I might get me a single coil guitar to spice up my long way to become a real guitarist. Just not sure which way to go.

I've got my beloved SG special faded which covers the humbucker territory fine but I'd like to have something more stratocaster sounding option available. Yet somehow a Strat or a Tele don't feel good in my hands, I like the short scale feel of a Jaguar more. I just don't know if a Jag will deliver the SRV sounds I like so much?

Another option I've been thinking about is getting a Les Paul Studio faded (there's a nice one in a local shop) and swapping the pups of my SG to P90? Would I then have two guitars different enough?

And I don't want to buy the third one any time soon. Three is a crowd, I don't want the gear to get in the way of playing;)

Points of view, words of experience?

I think you are going to spend a lot of time and money doing mods on a perfectly good guitar that you like now as is. Why don't you try some P90 equipped Gibsons. See what they have at your local store.... If you find something you like have a look in the used market for a good price. My 2cents...

Hey EDAGBE,

I know exactly where you're coming from. I've got a spendid SG Classic with P 90's and had bought an Epi G400 with standard humbuckers.

Well, I wanted that Fender quack so I swapped the Epi pups for SD Hot Rails, and put in the splitable tone knobs. Ok, I got a thin sound from the split single bridge pup, but that mahogany just won't quack like I wanted.

So... I got an MIA Stratocastor Standard. Nice axe really, but I agree, it don't feel like no SG. I wish that it did.

What I'd like to try is to set up a Raw Power with real Fender(ish) pups and see how that sounds. Just a question of $$$.

Good luck!

If you want to go Fender (sorry for using the F word) and not jump too far from the SG, check out a CIJ Mustang. Used ones run about 400 USD. It's scale is closer to an SG and the feel is very nice. You'll get that single coil tone without being too generic. The problem with P90s are that, yes, they are single coils, but they have a grit and bite all their own that I would not describe as classic single coil.

Hey man,

could this be the answer?

http://www.electric-guitar-review.com/2007/03/27/gibson-announces-guitar-of-the-week-10-sg-standard-with-3-single-coil-pickups/

Since you do feel comfortable with SG shape, I thought to recommend this, although you will be stuck with mahogany, that for most players ''does not quack''. No idea if you can easily get your hands on any of these, however 6 months ago you could still find them at thomann.de (the greatest european distributor) in very logical price!

good luck with your search!

There's nothing quite like a MIM Tele or Strat to get you where you want go - for stupid-cheap money, particulary if you go used.

I love me some Gibson guitars, but dang - you can get the sound you're looking for for way under $300.

Try that with any Gibby.

The cheapest way to go' date=' would be to spend $12 on a pair of push/pull pots and split coil your humbuckers, provided they are of the 4 lead type. One guitar, two sounds, same feel.[/quote']

My idea exactly!

seems most sensible, and you can switch between single coil and the good old humbucker sound in mid song

The cheapest way to go' date=' would be to spend $12 on a pair of push/pull pots and split coil your humbuckers, provided they are of the 4 lead type. One guitar, two sounds, same feel.[/quote']

I found an SG classic with P90s in a nearby store and its tone was suprisingly close to the humbuckers, not fenderish at all. Actually a Les Paul Studio Faded sounded more like what I'm after than the SG with P90s. Or maybe the LP just sounded plain good...

Anyway, splitting the pups sounds intresting. Thanks for the idea.

The split 490R and 490T are not the same as P90 either? So if I install the split pots, what to expect in terms of tone?

Archived