Gibson Brands Forums

IS ANYONE AT ALL UPSET OVER THE VALUE OF THIER GIBSON?

kulddy

Since Gibson has seen fit to bring out the revival series of REVERSE FLYING V --BEFORE the original product has found homes, I can almost buy two for what mine cost. I thought I was buying something original. It feels that way, it sounds that way. But NOthey offer up 2700 more before I can get mine out of Gibson repair for an incorrectly made nut.

Biggest problem is it will bring more as charcoal than a GIBSON>

wayne

KMA

EXCUSE YOU? Look Wayne, there is such a thing as proper etiquette in the forums. The new forum comments section is not here for you to ***** about how you think you got ripped off by Gibson. It's for comments about the new forum board. Sorry if your immature feelings were hurt when I suggested you put it in the appropriate area.

Your last 10 post are nothing but apologies to members for your anger here. You ain't nothing but a minute here fella.

I suggest you get yourself in check.

Not sorry. I am just an angry type guy. heh heh Actually I am surprised you you got the KMA. but yeah I got it, I don't need to put it in another forum, just needed to vent. What would I in truth expect? A recall of all the bandwagon guitars they produced?

Wayne

I havent heard of the revival series reverses. I purchased the guitar of the week reverse. I really had a major problem when they stopped production on the GOTW before they had completed all 400, to put out the limited editions. I did finally receive mine. It was manufactured in 2008. So what is this revival series of which you speak?Which reverse did you purchase? And what does KMA mean?

It's my understanding that the reverse V and silverburst SG were the best sellers out of all the GTOW's. Since Gibson makes their guitars by order only, those may be the only GTOW's that they actualy made all 400 of.

If that's the case it would make good business sence to put the guitar into production. I can only assume they based the price hike on how fast the GTOW guitars sold out. It's my guess you should be able to prove a GTOW from a production model by the serial number since all the GTOW's were made only in 2007. The saddest part is that the true value of either version (if any) won't be known for many years but to a collector the GTOW should hold an edge over the production model.

Space Pup, Check out my weird story! Yeah you would have thought that all the GOTW's were produced in 07, however, I was one of many who put in my order in mid 07 for the Rverse V GOTW , then Gibson stopped production on the GOTW and started producing the limited black, white, and natural ones. Once those were finished, they resumed the GOTW V. I finally received my GOTW Rev-V in late Feb. of this year. The serial # shows production the 7th day of 08. I called Gibson and they confirmed by my serial # that it is indeed the GOTW model. The thing that bothers me about that is there is nothing in the case candy or on the guitar itself that say's GOTW, so many people will assume from the serial # that it is the Limited production version based on the 08 serial #. When it did arrive it was nice and light and very resonant. Just a fun odd little guitar.

One oddity of the re-issue is the pickups changed like 2 or 3 times. The GOTW's had '57 classics, the reissues were originally listed with ceramics then a couple of others. I am not sure what they shipped with. If you look on ebay (yeah I know), the current price of reverse v's can be had for about 1200. to 1500. a lot less than I paid for an actual GOTW. My beef was that they should have been more aware of the the GOTW's and when the dust settled to make some limited production to fill the gap. The dust was still flying when the started the reissue and many of them that were were in the 2200. + range quickly fell in value as more of the reissues were made available. I guess I am just sour that as soon as I saw a new sheet of design utilizing on hand components they were prostituted out. I wish I would waited. and I would not have to justified the higher price to my wife. All she has to do is go to ebay and see that I could have paid less for one that WAS so in demand that gibson had to make a reissue to keep them in the black for the merger with TC Group.

I love the way it plays and sounds and the reissue color is different than the GOTW. the visual keys are the color and the headstock plate (the reissue being gold and the GOTW is black).

Wayne, aka kooldaddy (also known as the whiner by the moderator).

XXX,

That is odd. You would think that they would have at least filled al the GTOW oders before they did the productions or made some valid way to tell the difference. I can remember when they used to put little "Limited Edition" decals on the back of the head. It seems that some one did drop the ball on this.

Kulddy,

I believe you have a valid gripe. For now I would just enjoy the guitar and maybe in a few years the value for a GTOW will make all this worth wild.

I am curious to know the number of '84 Re-issue silverburst flying Vs that were made for GotW.

I honestly think Gibson is dropping the ball by not putting more case candy with their guitars, and making the documentation better. For these GotW or GotM they are putting out, why not do like what they did with the Medallion Flying Vs and put a small decal or 44/400 some where on the guitar or certificate. I know by my serial number that my V was made October 11th, 2007 at the Nashville plant, Production #44. My question is why doesn't Gibson put a small certificate in each case with this information instead of making the buyer go to an external web site to find out about their guitar.

As Gibson owners we pay good money for their product. A small, tangible piece of paper that states the history of our guitar would make the guitar all the more special.

I am with you there. See, I didn't have to appologize to anyone about bein' po'ed about the current state of things. I am glad I own Gibsons, just wanted sympathy and some respect. Not much, I give the instruments their due.

Wayne

Kulddy, I am in the same boat as you.

I bought one of the Reverse Vs because I KNEW it was going to be a hit, being promised that there were only "400" going to be made.

I'm not suprised they re-released it, but to do it SO SOON? C'mon Gibson, they just screwed over the people who bought the originals by making them practically worthless.

I recently had to sell it and hope to purchase another one in the future, but my luck they'll all be too damn expensive when it comes time.

No matter what the first 400 is still the first edtion. Of course the resale value has dropped significantly for the Reverse V at the moment but as a longterm investment i guess it's still good.

It's very interesting if there's not even 400 Silverburst '84's made. This one is definitely a very good guitar with an ebony fingerboard.

Well, just goes to show in my opinion, you oughta buy guitars so you can play them. That should be your primary reason to buy one. Its a musical instrument after all. You should make music on it. Preferably with other people. My two cents...

See webguy, it was a worthwhile topic. And right here. DOH! You might not want to exercise so much censorship, as we are here BECAUSE WE CARE. About Gibson, about music and about other Gibson "proud parrents".

and yes Gibson repair and restoration called and said I can pick it up (the nut was grooved to shallowly, the D & G slipped to the outside [towards A & B] several times and finally stayed that way).

KOOLDADDY

I've always thought it was an interesting new phenomenon that everything you buy will instantly go up in value. What made me think about this was i was in my friends comic and collectables store and this kid, 10 or so bought a pack of baseball cards, opened them then said, "hey mister, are any of these worth anything?" my friend, the owner look at the kid, then the cards, and said, "sorry, they are all common cards." the kid was pissed and stomped out leaving the cards. I was like wow! what has society come too? A little bit like the housing market right now huh?

All though i do understand if gibson makes a limited run, it should be limited. they also need to make money. Wait 20 years and then see if it is worth anything.

I have 2 guitar of the week's for 2007. The black bfg paul and the white 84 reisue explorer with emg's. To me they are special and when I first took a look at the reverse V I said man that's the one of all the guitar of the week's that in 20 years is going to be worth the most. Don't sweat-it, keep it in nice condition and remember it's like the robot guitar it's considered to be the first run and they will, way down the road for good original condition reverse V's bring the most in the market of V's.

JUST HANG ON TO IT AND ENJOY IT NEVER MIND THE PRICES THEY WILL GO UP, AND ALWAYS REMEMBER REGISTER IT, GIBSON IS ONE OF THE BEST AT KEEPING RECORDS AND IN 20 YEARS YOU OR ANYONE CAN JUST CALL THEM UP GIVE-EM THE SERIAL # AND THEY WILL VERIFY WHAT IT IS AND WHAT IT WAS WHEN YOU BOUGHT IT. A FIRST RUN REVERSE FLYING V GUITAR OF THE WEEK WITH MAYBE LESS THAN 400 EVER MADE, THE ONE THAT STARTED A REGULAR PRODUCTION RUN, DUE TO DEMAND

Archived