Gibson Brands Forums

Finish melting on my 2007 ES-335

LarryA

I pulled out my ES-335 Dot yesterday as I hadn't played it in some time. I noticed something sticky on the back, turned it over and found a large area where the finish had bubbled, melted, and ran down the back. There is also a sticky glob in the case where it dripped off the guitar. It has been stored in its original Gibson case standing in a bedroom closet. The temperature has not been over 80 degrees F, and probably not that high. Anyone know what this is all about? It is obviously going to be a pretty expensive repair. [cool]

Wow....sounds like some serious chemical reaction, to something "in" the case???

Never heard of anything like that, especially in a home environment, where no

temperature extremes were experienced. Fascinating...let us know, what you

find out. Nito can "outgas" in a closed case, for a long time. Old Gretsch guitars

were notorious, for "binding rot" (Nitro-cellulose binding), do to that...which also had

a tendency to fog the finish, and tarnish the metal parts, as well. But, to actually

melt the paint??? That (whatever is causing it) is just too wild!

Pack it up, as is, with your observations, and storage conditions noted, and send it

back to Gibson, Right Away! It may be a case of some bad paint or related finishing

chemicals? They should fix it, at no cost to you, based on your description, anyway.

CB

you said it's in a localized area? have you played it outdoors or used any kind of polishing products on it? I don't have vast experience with nitro guitars, but I've never heard about stuff like that happening. I do have a nitro finished trombone, and nothing like that has happened.

weird. definitely contact Gibson.

I've had the color run on a '74 Les Paul Custom. It was almost brand new at the time. I took it back to the store I purchased it from and they gave me a replacement Les Paul Custom (20th Anniversary). See my photo - that's the replacement!

It worked out well for me as the replacement was a much better guitar and I got to pick it out from a batch of ten Customs.

Take it back!!!!

Are you sure that it isn't the other way around? Maybe the sticky glob is something that dripped into the case interior and reacted with the guitar finish? A piece of vinyl tab from a guitar strap?

By the way if you're not the original owner under warranty, it might not necessarily be such an expensive repair because nitro is very forgiving in terms of being able to blend in a spot repair.

Are you sure that it isn't the other way around? Maybe the sticky glob is something that dripped into the case interior and reacted with the guitar finish? A piece of vinyl tab from a guitar strap?

By the way if you're not the original owner under warranty' date=' it might not necessarily be such an expensive repair because nitro is very forgiving in terms of being able to blend in a spot repair.[/quote']

+ 1

By the way if you're not the original owner under warranty' date=' it might not necessarily be such an expensive repair because nitro is very forgiving in terms of being able to blend in a spot repair.[/quote']

I don't know how anything would have dripped into the case. It has never been out of my house except for a setup shortly after I got it two years ago. I haven't used a vinyl strap on it, a leather strap on occasion, but it has always been removed after playing. I normally open the case every month or so to renew the water in a humidifier kept in the case storage compartment. It is a plastic soap box with a kitchen sponge in it. There is no indication in the compartment that water ever actually got out of it. I don't soak the sponge, just dampen in.

Could it be from glue in case manufacturing? New cases often smell bad for a while, but this one is at least 3 years old.

Larry

I have decided it must be the wet sponge. Water must have ran down behind the lining to the bottom of the case while it was standing. I would never leave a bottle of good bourbon around with a loose cap, or with anything left in it! What is the best option on getting it repaired? Send it back to Gibson or find someone local? Dumb question, eh?!

Larry

Water? Hmmmm, that doesn't sound right, to me. How would water "melt" the finish, to the point it

ran down the guitar? Is it possible, the color that ran down the guitar, was in fact the case lining dye?

IF...that's the case, you may be able to polish it off the surface of your guitar...unless it really is "melted"

or embedded, some way. Sounds very strange, to me.

CB

Ok it would be worse if it was whiskey, mostly in terms of the waste.

Seriously, the nitro finish on a Gibson is very forgiving in terms of being able to make a spot-repair invisible. The material melts into itself and you won't see where the new stuff meets the old, unless there's some color matching issue. A good luthier should have no problem sorting it out.

A day return from a presentation and somewhat similar step.

Before leaving the pub leave the open case to keep my guitar on a chair. Possibly someone I spill inside the case something of alcohol (Bourbon), I did not realized and keep it. When I utilize it again, the next morning, even was the interior a little humid, even smell existed and the I liquidate to weigh that had evaporated abandonment a notorious mark in the nitro finish. A very similar effect to which you describe.

I do not imagine another motive ruling out a chemical reaction with some component of the case, above all if is the one that the manufacturer sold with the guitar.

Please post a Photo!.

Greetings

Okay, here's what happened to me once: insect repellent.

Turns a guitar finish to water. Boom. Yeah, I learned that lesson the hard way the summer of '64.

There may be other substances that have similar effects and/or chemical composition that might have gotten onto the guitar and/or into the case.

I've heard it suggested that a certain brand of women's makeup might be a problem for guitar finishes too - I can't remember which so I won't point a finger when it may be wrong.

m

Archived