Gibson Brands Forums

Most under-rated bands / artists ever...?

Hector Arcadius

Ok, I'm celebrating 100 posts in here with a new thread.

I took the idea from the ''overrated / underrated guitarists'' threads and I bet this will prove to be as interesting...

Lets' define ''under-rated'' first. In my mind, it describes bands that have enjoyed less commercial success than others with lower quality works / material, while at the same time their work has stood the test of time and has inspired the next generations of musicians / simple listeners.

From my side:

1. Blue Oyster Cult -

I know they are a big name for those who know good music, but this band a few years ago had a serious problem trying to sign a label and return with a new record! and in a world were Rolling Stones (just saying...:- ) sell millions of albums, they are definitely under-rated...

2. Uriah Heep -

When they first came out, a stupid album critic wrote ''one more band trying to copy Led Zeppelin''! IMHO, no comparison / connection between the 2 bands. Astonishing musicians (especially Mick Box & Ken Hensley with truly inspired songs.

3. Wishbone Ash.

BTW, Andy Powell was a great & clearly under-rated guitarist

Let's hear some ideas & find out some new bands, perhaps...?

Crack The sky

Most people haven't heard of them. Their hey day was the late 70s and 80s although they still do reunion shows occasionally. They had some hits and a lot of popularity in the Northeast, but never caught on nationally.

Great songs and musicianship and a very ecclectic song list. Their songs could be anything from art rock, hard rock, new wave, funk to pop music. They were way better than many of the bands of that time who made it bigger.

Just one post...? :-

Possible reasons:

1. Does this mean that noone else believes that there are under-rated bands out there...? Really?

2. Is this thread is simply snobbed...? (In that case there will be no more replies I guess...)

3. Completely un-interesting subject. (Ok, I can live with that)

4. Existense of more interesting threads around. (Quite possible actually)

5. All of the above (considering No.1, highly unlikely...)

Ok, hit me! If you please...

Just one post...? [biggrin]

Possible reasons:

1. Does this mean that noone else believes that there are under-rated bands out there...? Really?

2. Is this thread is simply snobbed...? (In that case there will be no more replies I guess...)

3. Completely un-interesting subject. (Ok' date=' I can live with that)

4. Existense of more interesting threads around. (Quite possible actually)

5. All of the above (considering No.1, highly unlikely...)

Ok, hit me! If you please...

[/quote']

Or it could be that this topic has recently been discussed so nobody wants to talk about it again... this makes it close to #3

Or it could be that this topic has recently been discussed so nobody wants to talk about it again... this makes it close to #3

You see? Four words would have made me leave it: ''previously discussed - drop it''.

I guess the respective ''most OVERRATED bands / artists'' was on as well' date=' eh? Well... I'll catch up, no worries! [biggrin

I was thinking the same thing. These guys shoulda been bigger.

I am a huge Beatle fan, but I have to disagree that they should have been bigger, unless you guys are making this statement in jest. Good lord they couldn't have gotten any bigger, I was very young but I can remember Beatlemania. I can not think of a rock band that has as much acknowledged impact as The Beatles.

Roy Buchanan...

He could play anything, and with incredible virtuosity one a Tele of all things.

Used to be called the worlds best (mostly) unknown guitar player. Did play Carnegie Hall.

Also Leo Kottke - 6 or 12-string. Interesting style, great capability. Jerry Reed's clawhammer stuff was pretty underestimated too, I think even by people listening mostly to his odd "country rock" typa songs.

m

The Alan Parson's Project

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQz_LQ6Kak&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Grand Funk Railroad

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Kansas

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBRj7AF8YjQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I think all these qualify.... [cool]

Does that make him any less of a player or good player? I think not.

No, just means he's mentally ill, which is not always a bad thing. Look at the genius of Syd Barrett or the stuff John Frusciante did when he was out of RHCP.

The Band

Rock of Ages

One of my favorites

Love it

+100000000000....

I love the Band. Words cannot describe how amazing they were. I like some of the their lesser known songs like Look Out Cleveland and Whispering Pines. That song always takes me back to my childhood on Lake Huron.

+100000000000....

I love the Band. Words cannot describe how amazing they were. I like some of the their lesser known songs like Look Out Cleveland and Whispering Pines. That song always takes me back to my childhood on Lake Huron.

The Last Waltz changed my perception of music.

I seem to remember my old man telling me about Clapton's strap buggin out when I was a kid, and at the time I dismissed it. Too bad Robbie didn't want to keep it up. One of my alltime favorite bands.

Too bad Robbie didn't want to keep it up. One of my alltime favorite bands.

Yeah. Real or not he comes across a total hand job in that movie. Great songwriter, but he needed Danko, Helm, and Manuel to deliver those tunes with soul. Helm is probably the most underrated drummer in rock history. That cat was in the pocket every song, every time.

Yeah. Real or not he comes across a total hand job in that movie. Great songwriter' date=' but he needed Danko, Helm, and Manuel to deliver those tunes with soul. Helm is probably the most underrated drummer in rock history. That cat was in the pocket every song, every time.

[/quote']

I agree with all of that.

Leevon ROCKS!

Quicksilver Messenger Service

"Dino's Song"

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

"Pride Of Man"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDkVaAieF8o[/YOUTUBE]

"Edward (The Mad Shirt Grinder)"

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyN2KFattFE[/YOUTUBE]

"Shady Grove"