Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Cherry VOS

jinx2

This explains the confusion:

"Angus Young acquired his 1968 SG Standard in 1970, and has used it on all major AC/DC recordings and many tours since the band’s inception in 1973. Young’s ’68 SG is known to be a superb example of this model, with an unusually slim neck, pickups that blend just the right proportions of power and sweetness, and a resonant, vocal tone that represents the best of the SG formula. Listen closely to any classic AC/DC tune, and the tone is huge, but not filthy or fizzy. Angus’s ’68 SG"

Taken from your link to the guitar in question.

Hi!

I guess Gibson are a bit confused about the year themselves.

I´d call this particular VOS Signature guitar a bastard for the following reasons.

- Maple neck - at least no standard then

- Ebony Fingerboard - at least no standard then

- Two piece body - on a custom? On a 60somewhat guitar anyway?

- Neck joint - looks like it did before 68 (steps on sides of the neck where it joins the body like on the 61 VOS)

There may be points from the above that would fit a certain year of production. But as far as I know it doesn´t. At least not 68.

I may be completely wrong, so if there is anyone out there who knows more. Please tell us.

But for me this guitar is something that was speacially built for Angus. Maybe from classic/old parts.

Greetings

Kurt

I believe Angus' guitar was re-necked sometime in its life. He has came out and said in an interview it is either a 70 or 71 SG. The headstock broke off several times and the neck warped really bad where it had to be reconstructed. I don't know if it's the same guitar that Jaydee had to rebuild the neck on because of the truss rod, but it may be.

http://jaydeecustomguitars.co.uk/angus_young.html

But Angus' guitar does have Ebony fret board, maple neck (I'm pretty certain). Gibson has all types of laser scanners and stuff where they can create an exact copy of Angus' guitar, I don't know if this one is exact, but it is pretty close.

Hi!

I´m a bit late for replying on this one.

I´m sure Angus´s guitar is like the signature. I also found out that the Gibson catalogue for 68 had SGs with a step on the neckjoint in it.

But I´d still say that this is no SG out of the catalogue from whatever year, but something specially built for Angus.

AND.... Angus knows a lot about guitars. So if it´s really built to his specs, it´s got the be good. I´ve got myself the Maestro equipped signature guitar and it´s the best guitar I ever had straight out of the box.

Greetings

Kurt

Archived