Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!! Gibson Arlo Guthrie LG 2 3/4

mr newhaven

ok before i start...it just came in like 5 minutes ago from the guys over at zzounds.com

its cold out here in ct and all i was able to do so far was open the case real quick to take out the warranty card...(my office is warmer than the back of a UPS truck so i wanna give it a few more minutes before i just open it up and take pics)

but the first thing i noticed was that oooh so pleasant wood smell from Bozeman!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and i also noticed that i am already in love with my new guitar and i havent even taken it out of the case yet to give it a one over...assuming all of that checks out (and im sure it will) i think we have the makings of a beautiful frienship!

...god im such a nerd!

haha

but i know you would all understand my overwhelming joy!

thanks to all that helped me...and by helped me i mean pushed me into buying a ladder braced small body!

hahaha!

ill post pics later today!

Nice! Very nice! I just picked one of these up last Friday from a local dealer and am amazed at how much fun this little guy can be. Luckily I don't have big hands, so the slightly narrower fingerboard doesn't bother me. The short scale makes playing a breeze and the tone is, well, funky. I've found fingerpicking closer to the end of the fingerboard produces a nice round, full tone while flatpicking with a heavy(ish) pick produces a clear somewhat jangly response. Besides its great looks, the Arlo is extremely comfortable to hold. Now, if I can just get this thing away from my son for a while ... Ce

hahaha good to meet another owner...so little on these guitars info wise and video wise is available online that making this purchase was a little bit of a leap of faith...

but i love it...

a bit smaller than my old L-00 but im getting used to it and starting to find it very comfortable...

i have been without an acoustic for almost 6 month and have been primarily playing tele's recently so i was at first a bit taken aback by the neck size and nut width...20 minutes later and its like i dont even remember what my other guitars look like...

if i just had to keep one....this is it! and i love my other guitars...absolutely love them but this thing is climbing right to the top!

i used to have a little martin and i banged around on it for a bit...and it got me loving the 3/4 size...the little martin has a slightly wider nut though...but this thing just feels right!

mr. new, So, you're really taken with this little guy. So am I. At home here, I've been A/Bing it with my RJ, which now sounds and feels like a huge guitar in comparison. The Arlo however just cuts through. The top b and e strings ring out and, well, all the notes on this guitar are easy to hear. I got used to the neck pretty quickly too. Don't have a problem going from one neck width to another. The scale though is another matter. After playing the Arlo for any length of time I have to keep an eye on my left hand for a bit if I switch to a 24.9 or 25.4 scale instrument.

Maybe others who have had this guitar a little longer than we have will share a comment. Anyway, enjoy! This guitar would make anyone happy! Ce.

haha i haven't a/b'd it yet with anything but i can see how your hands can get a bit confused...

i would imagine it would be similar to grabbing a bass guitar after noodling on a 6 string for a while...

i think only one other member of this forum had one...damn i forgot the name...but hopefully they chime in with their thoughts...

what made you buy it cameleye if you dont mind me asking...

i personally have been wanting one of these for about 2 years yet always bought something else when i had the loot...i finally got fed up with putting this on the back burner and picked it up out of spite of myself!

haha

mr. n, I first tried one out a year or so ago when the Gibson Acoustic Trailer came by one of our local dealers. At the time I was more focused on a J-185 so when I tried the Arlo I was flat out unimpressed because I was seeking a different tone . Liked the look though. Then I got serious about picking up a Robert Johnson and managed to find a used one about a month ago. I thought, this is it. Now I have all the small bodied guitar I need. Har, har. (The wife would say.)

So, last week I walk into another local Gibson dealer and lo and behold, there flanked by L-00 Blues Kings, was this tiny Arlo. Thought I'd give it a try. Big mistake. When I finally looked up an unknown length of time had passed and my pickin' buddy was pacing the floor. I played every style of pickin' I knew on that little guitar, then grabbed a capo and tried out the higher stuff. I was hooked! Went home, thought it over, and two days later I thought I'd just go back and give it another shot. Big mistake (not really!). Got a great deal and now, here we are. Ce

I'll probably go with D'Addario PB lights when it's time for a change. Use 'em on my RJ and others. I am curious to try a set of nickle lights though. Might increase the "funk" factor.

Larry, the newer BKs are bubinga. Produces a good tone, but I prefer the slightly earlier ones in mahogany. Ce

I'd like to get it alongside my original "under the bed" '57 for comparison. Does it have ladder bracing?

Brian

it has ladder bracing...one of the reasons I bought it!

I had an 01 L-00 and while I loved that guitar I knew that it had to go to make room for a ladder braced Gibson small body...now if only I could play better...hahaha

Great looking guitar Mr. N!!!

I bet she sounds great. Hope your getting some nice blues licks out of it.

As for strings' date=' I tried a few different ones after getting my LG1 and have ended up right back where I always do.... Elixir Nano Phospher Bronze (12-53's). They sound great and last a very long time. [/quote']

the first song I'm learning now is Alice's Restaurant...thanksgiving is coming up soon...all the more reason right?

haha

i might try a pack of those elixir's...ill keep you updated!

thanks again for everyone's help/encouragement on this site!

you've all put up with my pining for a long time and i consult this site religiously before i make any sort of purchase!

thanks once again...

i had a hard time going to work today cause i didnt wanna put it down!

but alas...here i am...

• 1 month later...
I've been told that the ladder bracing is more made for strumming than fingerpicking.
Old-time blues guys (fingerpickers) swear by ladder bracing. The sound is very direct and in your face. Minimal sustain for max clarity. Bold tone for bottlenecking. Mr Newhaven-- maybe you chime in on this?

Ditto the caution re BKs. The hogs are 25.5; the bubinga 24.75s arent going to be as sweet). Built Ford tough (read: heavy).

Anyway, a nice find Mr. N--from the first pick, it looks like the top had some nice silking...?

• 3 years later...

I have a 1962 LG-2 3/4. This is just after they went to the cherry sunburst. Yes it is, of course, ladder braced. I have been playing this guitar for many years and it has become one of my favorite guitars as it can be kept on the couch for a little late night playing with no fuss. It will even fit in the overhead on most planes and is the perfect traveling guitar. It measures 12 11/16" at the lower bout and the body is 17 1/4" long. It has a 23 inch scale neck. I string it with light gauge strings and it has a wonderful voice.