Gibson Brands Forums

Flame lacking from Tobacco Bursts..

Geetar_Axl

I just recieved another picture of a Tobacco Burst from a shop up north and while it has heaps of little flame (looks AAA) but the flame is hard to see and lacks the thickness of other colours. Im pissed, I wanted a massive flame top like those Gingerbursts or Cherry Bursts...I guess you gotta be real luckey to find a nice one...

Another thing seems to be that all of the Standard Gibson models with flame (Standards, Classic Antiques) are starting to lose it too. Like I said only that MF exclusive models (I think they are) Ginger and the other one I cant remember have Reissue like tops..

you aren't going to get the flame you're looking for on a Faded. Yes, there are SOME monster tops, but most are more subtle. besides, if she's a looker and sounds like ***, is that worth it to you?

my Gingerburst has great flames, but she's going back. I paid 1800 plus tax . if you want to pay me 2000 plus shipping, she's all yours.=P~

Thats the nature of the beast.

Millions made, no two are the same.

The Les Paul I bought in 1991 I purchased unseen. It was butt ugly!!

Three piece top and the wood didnt even match.

I never fell in love with that guitar and sold it a few years later.

The one I have now not only looks good, it plays and sounds amazing.

Be patient mate!...are you in a rush to buy?

Why are you pissed? Did you purchase it already? Nice flame on a faded is uncommon but not unheard of. Keep looking until you find just the right one. Me personally, I perfere a nice plain top to flamed or quilted top anyway.

You know geetar_axl, i had the same problem, i was looking for a standard but those "flame maple tops" didnt have any flame to them and that drove me really mad, you had to look very close to notice the flame...

I ended up buying a std. faded just because of that: more flame, i like the faded neck (not sticky at all), i like how the pickups look without the covers, and of course, it was like $700 cheapier... and it plays and sounds as good as any standard i played at the store (and better than some).

I havent regretted buying a std. faded at all, i played some standards before and after buying her and i just preffer mine... i think standards used to be more breathtaking but now i just dont see them that way.

Could one of the mighty wisemen here tell if gibson started using wood from another place or a drifferent kind of wood?

Geetar_Axl

Maybe the picture was taken from an angle that does not show the flame strips well.

Flame strips can be seen and photographed better in certain angles.

I personally prefer tobacco burst with no flame strips at all. It's more... dare I say "masculine"?

Geetar_Axl

Maybe the picture was taken from an angle that does not show the flame strips well.

Flame strips can be seen and photographed better in certain angles.

I personally prefer tobacco burst with no flame strips at all. It's more... dare I say "masculine"?

That would be great!

Ibis what do you mean? Tell the store to tell their supplier that the "customer" (me) only wants a highly flamed model?

Archived